2016 Draft Thread II (June 24th-25th) - CBJ to draft 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
FFS this Clarkson stuff has to stop invading every thread. Make a thread called "Clarkson Fantasy" if you want to go on about your dreams of trading him.
I've been tempted several times, but you just know the draconic freedom-hating well-meaning and meticulously organized mods here would merge it with another thread.

;)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
My final draft board:

Laine
Matthews
Puljujarvi
Chychrun
Dubois
Juolevi
Nylander
Tkachuk

...until I change my mind again tomorrow.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My final draft board

Laine
Matthews
Pulji
Juolevi

Tkachuk

Don't Care after that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is my present list:

don't care
don't care
**** it
whatever
don't care
meh
whatever
don't care

In case it isn't obvious, there's a drop-off after the top-2.

I'm not normally this ambivalent about the draft, but the constant messianic pleas from earlier in this season have made me bitter and spiteful.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
This is my present list:

don't care
don't care
**** it
whatever
don't care
meh
whatever
don't care

I'm not normally this ambivalent about the draft, but the constant messianic pleas from earlier in this season have made me bitter and spiteful.
aren't you fun

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
This is my present list:

don't care
don't care
**** it
whatever
don't care
meh
whatever
don't care

How do you think this franchise will ever stop being crap? We have all heard your preaching that no draft pick or single player is going to save the franchise, but the cornerstones of every good team in recent memory has been star players drafted in the first round. I don't know why you insist on acting like high draft picks are unimportant to building a great team but your crusade is just plain wrong.

All you have to do is look at the hope for our team: Jones, Murray, Werenski

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
How do you think this franchise will ever stop being crap? We have all heard your preaching that no draft pick or single player is going to save the franchise, but the cornerstones of every good team in recent memory has been star players drafted in the first round. I don't know why you insist on acting like high draft picks are unimportant to building a great team but your crusade is just plain wrong.

Uh oh...

major major

Feb 18, 2013

[Insert Bruins counter-example, insert yada yada yada, post]

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not following that closely, so take this with a grain of salt, but I like Puljujarvi. He's not better than Laine and Matthews now, and I might not prefer him ahead of them, but I think the gap between the three is exaggerated.

Matthews
Puljujarvi
Laine

Juolevi
Sergachyov
Dubois
Nylander
Tkachuk
Chychrun

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not following that closely, so take this with a grain of salt, but I like Puljujarvi. He's not better than Laine and Matthews now, and I might not prefer him ahead of them, but I think the gap between the three is exaggerated.

Matthews
Puljujarvi
Laine

Juolevi
Sergachyov
Dubois
Nylander
Tkachuk
Chychrun

Most scouting services agree with you. If we wind up in the top 3 the pick will be one of the top 3 you list -
99.99%.

To me the dice roll comes at 4. I've liked what I've read about Dubois but then there was that whole CSS guy pushing an agenda issue. Chychrun has flaws according to some. No clear cut 4-9 imo other than I think you got the complete group right.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If they go from the bottom up the suspense could be over quickly if 3 of the bottom teams are skipped. On the other hand every time a team is skipped, their fans will go crazy wondering if it is 1, 2 or 3 where they are headed.

:popcorn: It should be fun, until it isn't.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If you are a Cavs fan (or any other bad NBA team for years), the lottery is a ton of fun. Well, if you win it is ;).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
aren't you fun

I'm just surprised at my own ambivalence. Normally it's something I take a closer interest in, but this year's pleas of "why can't we be an even more hopelessly ****ty team that provides zero entertainment whatsoever" - and people's feeble attempts to defend it - have been especially trying.

When one gets to take one's nephew to his first game, and we win and it's a great time and he loves it and could be a bigger hockey fan as a result, having to hear folks whining on and on about how dare we win that game because of a three percent higher chance at a shiny lottery ticket is ****ing infuriating. Part of me wants to beat folks senseless with a statistics book for Failure To Comprehend Probabilities, and the rest of me wants to set the beaten remains on fire for insisting that it's a bad thing that my nephew got to see a winning hockey game.

* * *​

Thanks for sharing.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Kessel, Dougie, Seguin, Wheeler (not drafted by them, but he was a 5th OA that signed with them in free agency as a 21 year old fresh out of college)

let's not act like Boston didn't at least benefit massively from high draft picks

None of those guys were in their lineup when they won the cup (I believe Seguin was for only part of that cup run). That's the whole point of the example. They won it after trading away Kessel and before the returned draft picks made it.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Here is my draft lottery prediction.

1 - Toronto
2 - Columbus
3 - Winnipeg
4 - Edmonton
5 - Vancouver
6 - Calgary
7 - Arizona
8 - Buffalo
9 - Montreal