2016 Draft Thread | 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Benning is saying all the right things about acquiring more picks in this draft, but how?...unless he trades back in the first round, he just doesn't have anything to offer that's reasonable to acquire more picks....blew his chance to acquire more picks at the deadline when he couldn't deal any of his UFA's...still an epic 'fail' for a 28th place team.

Probably trade Subban or Gaunce for a 2nd.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Probably trade Subban or Gaunce for a 2nd.

Trade two young prospects who at the very least will be important guys for the Utica Comets this year for second or third round picks who may be 4-5 years away from helping you?....they'll be lynch party out for the Canuck braintrust if that's their plan.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Trade two young prospects who at the very least will be important guys for the Utica Comets this year for second or third round picks who may be 4-5 years away from helping you?....they'll be lynch party out for the Canuck braintrust if that's their plan.

You'd think yet somehow the media and general public will read it as progress in some skewed way. Subban was too small to ever play, they don't think Gaunce's game will translate to the NHL, whoever they draft in the 3rd will be someone that they would have taken in the 1st, etc etc.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Thought this was pretty cool and a pretty useful tool

Two guys, one who works in analytics for the Steelheads of the OHL named Zac Urback and the other named Hayden who owns prospect-stats.com made something called DEV. The goal is in the intro link but it is essentially to determine a prospects comparable players, expected value, chances at making the NHL etc.

Here's the intro (TLDR at the top) but worth a read
http://prospect-stats.com/blog/Introducing_DEV.html#ftn2

and here's the actual tool
http://www.prospect-stats.com/DEV/default.html

Bear in mind it's not complete as in some players names are in there but the numbers don't show up.

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Trevor Linden said:
He probably has the ability to step in immediately and make a difference

They may be even more effusive about Chychrun than they are about Sergachev, if that provides any insight into their D rankings

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

They may be even more effusive about Chychrun than they are about Sergachev, if that provides any insight into their D rankings

These would be my top two if we go for defense. Just can't turn down the game-breaking upside and size for either guy.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the order they are releasing these is the exact reverse of their draft rankings. Seems like something this regime would do.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC

I'm partial to Sergachev if they're going to take a D in the top-10. That said, Chychrun has been watched closely and had his game torn apart for at least three years already, so maybe I shouldn't underestimate him.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
40% of Tkachuk's points are secondary assists, and 40% of his points were also produced on the PP. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely believe Tkachuk is a bonfide 1st line winger in the making perhaps in the mold of a James Neal... But there's no question his offensive production is inflated to due the offensive strength of London this season.

36% of Joe Thorntons points this year were from secondary assists.
34% of Anze Kopitar points this year were from secondary assists.

I think Tkachuk showed this year in the playoffs that he deserves to be a top 5 pick. I think the norm for a play maker first for secondary assists is around 30%.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Call it a gut feeling but just not convinced that Jimbo is 100 percent certain about Tkachuk....if Dubois is gone before #5, could easily see him trading back in the draft...particularly if he fancies Chychrun.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Call it a gut feeling but just not convinced that Jimbo is 100 percent certain about Tkachuk....if Dubois is gone before #5, could easily see him trading back in the draft...particularly if he fancies Chychrun.

back in January J.B said Tkachuk is the best player from the dot down low or something like that? not to mention he said that "Tkachuk and Dubois are foundational players" whatever that means, but we can read between the lines there :)

Tkachuk will be an awesome addition to our team. Top line winger with grit, love that. We can also use a Left Winger too actually since we don't actually have one, and a good left winger are hard to come by.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I'm partial to Sergachev if they're going to take a D in the top-10. That said, Chychrun has been watched closely and had his game torn apart for at least three years already, so maybe I shouldn't underestimate him.

I'm always a little worried about guys that physically mature earlier. They stand out because they have a massive advantage over their peers. Late trajectory in the draft year matters and nobody showed as much late development this year as Brown and Tkachuk did. Juolevi was also very good. I'm not sure Chychrun is a guy I'd pick in the top 8. At 9...probably.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Draft day prediction: Benning trades the 5th overall to Carolina for the 13th + 21st picks. Carolina then trades the 5th overall to Arizona for the 7th + 20th.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
TSN rumours of Calgary wanting to move up and Columbus wanting to move down.

http://www.tsn.ca/news-and-rumours-flames-looking-to-move-up-from-no-6-1.510763

Makes sense and I'm sure a cap dump would be going back to Calgary.

IMO this would lock up the order of:

Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
Tkachuk
Dubois
Brown

I'm not sure that would absolute set in stone the order these guys go, but it would certainly make a ton of sense.

And realistically, all this chatter about CBJ looking to move down...CGY looking to move up, it's the only logical fit for both components there.

The Flames making a deal of that magnitude with the Oilers just doesn't seem very likely. Nor does the Flames giving up something worthy of serious consideration to move up...one spot with Vancouver, also a division rival.

A Jackets/Flames swap is starting to make a lot of sense to me though. Calgary would surely love to have a big winger like Puljujarvi who can step right in. They're at the "get it in gear" point for sure, and an immediate player would fit that. If the Jackets really want a Center to replace Johansen and/or aren't as sold as others on Puljujarvi...that parts fits right in. CBJ also have those still useful cap-dump wingers like Hartnell to maybe toss in there, while CGY have a smorgasboard of 2nd round picks.

I'd be thrilled if that's the order that ends up locked in though...whether via some dealings around us or not. To get my third ranked player at five? Sign me up! :)

I can't help, but try to read between the lines on what Linden/Benning say about each guy . :laugh:

It's so hard to get much of a read on anything from these. But it's also hard not to try anyway. :D

In the Fabbro one, Linden effectively descibes Fabbro as probably better than Chychrun (at the U18s at least). Then the Chychrun one, he suggests he might be able to step in and make an impact right away? :huh:

They're such brief, heavily edited little excerpts i don't think we can really garner too much about who they like best. Combined with other tidbits that have slipped out over the previous months though...i do think we can piece together a reasonable approximation of their Top-6 guys.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Could this Dubois-talk be all fluff? I feel like the Canucks want Tkachuk.

I am pretty sure Benning/Linden is a huge Keith Tkachuk fan, and his son is basically his dad, but with more finesse.

* Leadership - check, Tkachuk wore the C or A 15 out of 18 years. Was a Captain in his 2nd year, young captain...ring any bells?

* Clutch play - check, scoring Memorial cup winner

* Physicality/power forward - check, yes, Dubois plays that style too

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Could this Dubois-talk be all fluff? I feel like the Canucks want Tkachuk.

I am pretty sure Benning/Linden is a huge Keith Tkachuk fan, and his son is basically his dad, but with more finesse.

* Leadership - check, Tkachuk wore the C or A 15 out of 18 years. Was a Captain in his 2nd year, young captain...ring any bells?

* Clutch play - check, scoring Memorial cup winner

* Physicality/power forward - check, yes, Dubois plays that style too

I think the exact opposite.

I think we are taking a center, no matter what. They want Dubois, but if Dubois goes #4 overall, we'll take Logan Brown or trade down. I don't think they have any interest in another scoring winger after taking Virtanen and Boeser the past two years.

And the stuff Dubois is saying about Canuck management questions about playing center would seem to jive with that idea.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

I think we are taking a center, no matter what. They want Dubois, but if Dubois goes #4 overall, we'll take Logan Brown or trade down. I don't think they have any interest in another scoring winger after taking Virtanen and Boeser the past two years.

And the stuff Dubois is saying about Canuck management questions about playing center would seem to jive with that idea.

Just saying, Tkachuk checks a lot of boxes for the Canucks. If EDM takes Dubois or makes some trade with MTL, then I can see the Canucks going for Tkachuk.

No way we take Brown at 5 unless we trade down.

#tradedowntogetbrown

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Yeah it's pretty clear the canucks want Dubois.

If Dubois goes at number 4 I think it's time to get nervous as there is a bunch of possibilities with this clown management.

In Benning's delusional mind he probably thinks the team has no need for a top young winger because they will sign Lucic or Eriksson in free agency.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC

Yeah, I'm in agreement with this. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for Dubois at this point, but I'm aware it's anything but a sure-thing with Edmonton being a bit of a wild-card in the top five.

About Logan Brown, how dissimilar is his game to Blake Wheeler? I know Wheeler was very raw at 18, but they're both large, pass-first forwards who aren't too physical and need work on their skating.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah it's pretty clear the canucks want Dubois.

If Dubois goes at number 4 I think it's time to get nervous as there is a bunch of possibilities with this clown management.

In Benning's delusional mind he probably thinks the team has no need for a top young winger because they will sign Lucic or Eriksson in free agency.

That would be a terrible move. If Dubois is gone, you pick Tkachuk. If Tkachuk gone, then Dubois. There's really no alternate scenario for me.

I wouldn't even want them to draft Brown, but if they want that center so bad assuming Dubois is taken, then they need to trade down. Brown will guaranteed to be in the 7-10 range.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
That would be a terrible move. If Dubois is gone, you pick Tkachuk. If Tkachuk gone, then Dubois. There's really no alternate scenario for me.

I wouldn't even want them to draft Brown, but if they want that center so bad assuming Dubois is taken, then they need to trade down. Brown will guaranteed to be in the 7-10 range.

Agreed. If Benning trades down to draft Brown...well I'm already at the end of my rope, so I don't know how much more I can hate the guy.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Yes it seems pretty obvious that you take whoever is left between Dubois/Tkachuk but we really don't know what the hell Benning is thinking at this point. All i can gather is that the canucks really like Dubois and will take him no matter what if he's available. Beyond that it could be an epic **** show so lets just hope Dubois is there at 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad