Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
easiest picks in the draft.

number 2.
number 3.
number 5.

LOL at Calgary with the 6. Have fun with that one.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
easiest picks in the draft.

number 2.
number 3.
number 5.

I'm just thankful that Calgary didn't move up as well... Imagine if the top 3 was a team behind us, Winnipeg and Calgary... We could be in such a worse position

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Just watched Feebs highlights on Jost at the WJC-18 and I highly recommend it. Jost is an extremely impressive prospect. He may not have the same offensive upside as Nylander or Tkachuk, but his all-around game, competitiveness, and skill is a tantalizing. Jost appears to be a smaller Toews stylistically (maybe less physical and scoring ability), but also appears to be future captain material.

Wish the Canucks had another top 10 pick.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site

Well it's true there's no obvious pick. But plenty of appealing prospects should still be there. If Tkachuk/Dubois go 4/5 then the Flames have their pick of Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi, Nylander or Brown. Still pretty appealing with a variety of positions available. I suspect if that's the choice at #6 that they go for whichever their top ranked dman is. You can never have too many good young dmen. Most fans disagree with me and think the Flames will take the skilled finesse winger in Nylander. However we know Flames management considers wing the least important position in the NHL so I'm a bit skeptical Nylander will be ahead of all the d-men on the Flames list. I think the only way they take a winger is if one of the ones who plays a heavy style (Tkachuk/Dubois) are still there.

Should be pretty interesting. I take it you guys are convinced Benning would grab Tkachuk if EDM or whoever drafts at #4 takes Dubois? I'm not totally convinced about that. You've got three 1st rounders at wing with Virtanen, Boeser and Baertschi. Picking #5 in a draft with a good top end I think VAN should be looking to land a #1 centre or a top pairing dman, those are essential to rebuilding a team, much more essential than yet another winger. But I know I've been hated on for having that opinion. Does Benning believe in the philosophy of building a team around wingers?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1 Matthews
2 Laine
3 Pullji
4 Tkachuck
5 Dubois
6 Nylander
7 Juol
8 Serg
9 Jost
10 Brown
11 Keller
12 Bean
13 McLeod
14 Mcavoy
15 Bellows
16 Fabbro
17 rubstov
18 Jones
19 Kunin
20 Stanley
21 gauthier
22 Howden
23 Chychrun
24 tufte
25 Biten

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well it's true there's no obvious pick. But plenty of appealing prospects should still be there. If Tkachuk/Dubois go 4/5 then the Flames have their pick of Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi, Nylander or Brown. Still pretty appealing with a variety of positions available. I suspect if that's the choice at #6 that they go for whichever their top ranked dman is. You can never have too many good young dmen. Most fans disagree with me and think the Flames will take the skilled finesse winger in Nylander. However we know Flames management considers wing the least important position in the NHL so I'm a bit skeptical Nylander will be ahead of all the d-men on the Flames list. I think the only way they take a winger is if one of the ones who plays a heavy style (Tkachuk/Dubois) are still there.

Should be pretty interesting. I take it you guys are convinced Benning would grab Tkachuk if EDM or whoever drafts at #4 takes Dubois? I'm not totally convinced about that. You've got three 1st rounders at wing with Virtanen, Boeser and Baertschi. Picking #5 in a draft with a good top end I think VAN should be looking to land a #1 centre or a top pairing dman, those are essential to rebuilding a team, much more essential than yet another winger. But I know I've been hated on for having that opinion. Does Benning believe in the philosophy of building a team around wingers?

Where I think you're guilty of oversimplifying is in the quality of our wingers. Virtanen and Baertsci don't project as top line quality so we really only have Boeser who *might* develop into that role.

Yet on D we have Tanev who is a very strong #2 plus Hutton who looks like a future #2. Edler is also capable of remaining a top pairing guy for a few more years at least, so if that is what someone like Juolevi projects to be then we are not lacking in that type/quality of player currently or in the foreseeable future.

What we are lacking is a winger under 35 who projects to score 30+ goals and/or 60+ points. Given that we just finished last in the league for GF even with a 28goal Daniel Sedin, I'd say our most urgent need is to top line forwards of ANY position. The centres and D can come when they are BPA (which they are not unless Dubois falls to 5).

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Benning said there is no projected number 1 Dman in this draft, and in a radio interview all but confirmed he would take who ever is left of the two.

I would tend to agree, and consider trading back, but only for the right price and it would be steep.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Chychrun is going to be the best dman of this draft and will be a steal if he goes past 10

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

This is my concern about drafting a guy like Tkachuk over guys like Dubois-Chychrun....you build your team around centres and d-men.....not wingers.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
[/B]

This is my concern about drafting a guy like Tkachuk over guys like Dubois-Chychrun....you build your team around centres and d-men.....not wingers.

When the talents are equal or close. But talent outweighs position full stop. I'd rather have a team full of first line wingers and 2nd line centres than a team full of 2nd line centres and 2nd line wingers.

Benning described it like this this:

Top line Forward > Top pair D > 2nd line Forward. And I would tend to agree with this valuation.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
West coast Express - 2 very good first line wingers with a 1/2nd center. They did okay.

You take MT and hope to give them a decent center at a later date.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
West coast Express - 2 very good first line wingers with a 1/2nd center. They did okay.

You take MT and hope to give them a decent center at a later date.

They did?

Only got to round 2 of the playoffs once and lost to a big underdog when those wingers no-showed the series.

Though I do agree with you that Tkachuk should be the target. His production alone would normally put him at 1 or 2 most years.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
They did?

Only got to round 2 of the playoffs once and lost to a big underdog when those wingers no-showed the series.

Though I do agree with you that Tkachuk should be the target. His production alone would normally put him at 1 or 2 most years.

yeah had lousy playoffs, but were dominated during the regular season. At least the line did.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
We have some good prospects on right wing but we have abslutely nothing on the left side. Further compounded by trading away our top LW prospect for a small centre.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Omg you're here of all places? Anyways, the 5th pick is an easy pick. Lets say we do end up with Tkachuk you have to understand the Vancouver canuck's haven't drafted a LEFT WINGER in over 17 years. We currently don't have a quality left winger in the system, not to mention Daniel Sedin will be hanging it up soon. Boeser and Virtanen are right shooting Right wingers. Sven Baertchi sure he's a left winger, but we consider him a freebie ... well all thanks to Brian Burke. Baertchi will be our second line left winger, Tkahcuk will be our 1st line left winger. A good left winger is very hard to find, so Tkachuk will be a near perfect pick for us, not to mention he brings the attitude that is much needed to take on teams like the Flames, Ducks, Kings.

funny thing you tell us to draft a centreman, after you told us we have "wingers" we literally drafted 3 centremans in the past 4 drafts, (Gaunce, Horvat, Mccann), and you totally ignore that, haha, it's so funny to see you convince us to draft someone so you clowns can draft Tkachuk.

This is my concern about drafting a guy like Tkachuk over guys like Dubois-Chychrun..

unfortunately I don't see us having a choice between Tkachuk or Dubois. This is why the 5th pick is a easy choice. 3rd pick too.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Omg you're here of all places? Anyways, the 5th pick is an easy pick. Lets say we do end up with Tkachuk you have to understand the Vancouver canuck's haven't drafted a LEFT WINGER in over 17 years. We currently don't have a quality left winger in the system, not to mention Daniel Sedin will be hanging it up soon. Boeser and Virtanen are right shooting Right wingers. Sven Baertchi sure he's a left winger, but we consider him a freebie ... well all thanks to Brian Burke. Baertchi will be our second line left winger, Tkahcuk will be our 1st line left winger. A good left winger is very hard to find, so Tkachuk will be a near perfect pick for us, not to mention he brings the attitude that is much needed to take on teams like the Flames, Ducks, Kings.

funny thing you tell us to draft a centreman, after you told us we have "wingers" we literally drafted 3 centremans in the past 4 drafts, (Gaunce, Horvat, Mccann), and you totally ignore that, haha, it's so funny to see you convince us to draft someone so you clowns can draft Tkachuk.

unfortunately I don't see us having a choice between Tkachuk or Dubois. This is why the 5th pick is a easy choice. 3rd pick too.

Hunter+Shinkaruk+NHL+Draft+Portraits+EdX9jIgYOG_l.jpg

:cry:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

None of the dmen this year have #1 potential so I'll take the first line winger 10 times out of 10 (that's assuming PLD is gone at #4)

I still like Chychrun though

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Something I keep thinking is we draft a forward with the #5 and possibly a faller in Benson with the #33 (which could very well happen). We could then draft defenseman the whole way out but the chances of drafting anything significant and slim.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
My current top20:

Nice to see Puljujarvi back in the top 3. I really do believe the top 3 have separated themselves and its an easy decision.

2nd tier: Interesting to still see McLeod here, we might be the only two with him in the top10 still. I like Jost a bit more, i don't see a concern defensively. At the U18s, he made several nice defensive plays on the backcheck and taking an opponent's stick/play away. Was used on the top PK, and the only 5-on-3 PK fwd as well. Upside, i would think Jost/McLeod are similar.

I agree, McAvoy needs to shoot more.

A bit low on Sergachev, but i can understand it. I was never a huge fan of casual kev, his demeanor reminds me a lot of him. But really intriguing potential.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Something I keep thinking is we draft a forward with the #5 and possibly a faller in Benson with the #33 (which could very well happen). We could then draft defenseman the whole way out but the chances of drafting anything significant and slim.

Always depends on who is there but I would be fine with passing on Benson for a D at 33. Nothing about Benson screams top 6 in the NHL and I feel we are well stocked with 3rd line types. I'm all for a forward at 5 (in fact I'm against taking any of the D there) but I'm all for a D at 33.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad