2016 Draft Thread | 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Would you not prefer Nylander over Juolevi or Bean?

Here is my draft list from a few days ago. I think after watching more of Jost he will move in front of McLoed.

1. Matthews
  2. Laine
  3. Pulj
  4. Bean
  5. Dubois
  6. Nylander
  7. McLoed
  8. Jost
  9. Chychrun
  10. Tkachuk
  11. Juolevi
  12. Sergachev
  13. Keller

But my draft list is rather unique.

Quark

Mar 31, 2016
Edmonton
Here is my draft list from a few days ago. I think after watching more of Jost he will move in front of McLoed.

1. Matthews
  2. Laine
  3. Pulj
  4. Bean
  5. Dubois
  6. Nylander
  7. McLoed
  8. Jost
  9. Chychrun
  10. Tkachuk
  11. Juolevi
  12. Sergachev
  13. Keller

I appreciate you putting it out there like that, many are to scared to do that :), but I do have to say that Beans skating concerns me a bit, for an offensive defenseman he looks a bit slow.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Not all that impressed with Puljujärvi in todays game vs Canada. He's getting pushed off the puck and losing control a lot.

is he injured or something?

Although he's injured apparently, IMO his puck control has always left something to be desired, but I'm not sure many agree with that. I find that there's something kind of frantic about it, like he's thrashing around a bit.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

1. Matthews
  2. Laine
  3. Pulj
  4. Bean
  5. Dubois
  6. Nylander
  7. McLoed
  8. Jost
  9. Chychrun
  10. Tkachuk
  11. Juolevi
  12. Sergachev
  13. Keller

Wow, that is a very bold list. First time I see Bean in the top 4.

If that's the way the draft goes, the real winners will be 10th place. I really don't think Tkachuk makes it out of the top 6. His offensive IQ, grit, and determination is going to make him one of the best players in this draft looking back.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Although he's injured apparently, IMO his puck control has always left something to be desired, but I'm not sure many agree with that. I find that there's something kind of frantic about it, like he's thrashing around a bit.

Yeah I agree with you. I don't want him TBH.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Would be nice if he dropped out of the top 3. Unfortunately, it's unlikely.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ

1. Matthews
  2. Laine
  3. Pulj
  4. Bean
  5. Dubois
  6. Nylander
  7. McLoed
  8. Jost
  9. Chychrun
  10. Tkachuk
  11. Juolevi
  12. Sergachev
  13. Keller

Very brave to post that. Well done, sir. Worst list I've ever seen, but commend you on at least posting something different. :yo:

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
At least add some constructive criticism or talking points, or discuss what you disagree with.

Quite often, re-draft lists, a few years down the line, don't match consensus at the draft.

----

Dubois eliminated from the playoffs. I selfishly wish it was sooner... could have been added to the U18 team.

Last edited:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Very brave to post that. Well done, sir. Worst list I've ever seen, but commend you on at least posting something different. :yo:

There really is no bad list at this point when young players are mostly a toss up in a draft. He has his opinion, and has watched a lot of Bean to make that opinion, and there's nothing really bad about that imo. He could very well be right.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

What's wrong with the list?
The only one that's way out of line with consensus is Bean and we all know that there will be a few guys who people will kick themselves for not drafting.
If you made a list with Larkin in the top 4 a couple of years ago some people would also scoff at it.

JA

I think he's playing through a shoulder and knee injury, he's the real deal his vision is special.
He made some beautiful passes today in spite of the slower pace. He is very aware of where everyone is on the ice, and he has the patience not to force the puck to the net. Today we saw examples of Puljujärvi's elite vision. He could have recorded a few assists today if his linemates could bury some of his terrific setups.

He definitely thinks pass first, but we've seen him score with some big shots too. That said, his shot isn't quite on Laine's level at this point; while there is power on his shots, he lacks the accuracy at this point to be considered a very dangerous sniper. If I were to project his average goal totals, I would say perhaps 25 to 30 goals per season, with a chance to elevate his goal totals beyond that if he refines his shot.

Of course, both possess great playmaking skill and can shoot the puck, but they think the game differently. Laine plays to his greatest strength -- his shot -- while Puljujärvi places more emphasis on his passing ability and tries to spot others if open passing lanes are available. Whereas Laine is clearly a goal scorer first and a playmaker second, Puljujärvi first thinks about where everyone else is on the ice and isn't as quick to be the trigger man. There are shooters with his speed and shot who just charge through the neutral zone all the time and throw everything on net, but he isn't like that at all -- he gauges his options.

Puljujärvi will most certainly average more assists than goals, while Laine possesses a pretty decent chance of having a pretty even goal-to-assist ratio in the NHL. Vladimir Tarasenko, for example, has nearly identical goal and assist totals each season, and this season had more goals than assists.

I have Laine over Puljujärvi, but I would still be very happy with Puljujärvi. Pulju offers greater explosiveness and agility, and is thus a better puck-rusher as well as a more tenacious, aggressive forechecker. He can get to pucks and cause turnovers. Laine can do these things, but his skating needs some work first -- he'll be training in the summer to add explosiveness to his skating; his skating has improved significantly in a very short time, however, so I expect him to become even quicker by September. Laine is better at stick handling in close, and with a quicker first two steps he would be extremely lethal with the puck. Puljujärvi, however, has the advantage in terms of sheer mobility.

Jesse just finished his season with Kärpät on the 15th, and has only had a few days to adjust to the time zone difference. From Finland to Grand Forks, North Dakota is an eight-hour adjustment. He is also playing through a knee and shoulder injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
What fun is it if I just copied my list from whatever the consensus list is?

It isn't a list of where I think a prospect is going to be drafted. But a list of who I think will be the best NHLers.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Here's my top 10

1.Matthew
2.Laine
3.Puljujarvi
4.Dubois
5.Tkachuk
6.Nylander
7.Bean
8.Fabbro
9.Jost
10.Chychryn

Haven't been a big fan of Chychryn for awhile now, but Fabbro/Jost really rising imo. Personally I only pick a dman in the top 10 if it's im completely confident that he'll turn out to be a top 2 guy (Ekblad, Hedman etc) or if they completely dominate on the score sheet in juniors (Ellis for example). I much rather pick someone like Johansen or Dineen whome are safer in a way, have a solid chance to be a top 4 but you aren't giving up your top pick.

Nylander is getting a little underrated, every shift he's generating scoring chance and he can really rip the puck he probably won't be as good as his brother but he is a little bigger. He needs to work in releasing quicker though, he takes a little too long too shoot sometimes, kinda reminds of McCann. He also isn't the fastest.

Like WTG I could definitely see Bean ending up to be the highest scoring dman of the draft, he doesn't have the same vision as Fabbro but his offensively he's pretty easily the best. Fabbro is just so well rounded and consistent, he keeps impressing each day and lots of people feel that his game will translate better offensively in the NHL then Chycryn, which completely agree with. Personally I feel like Chychryn is getting very overrated because of his size, the NHL is all about puck moving now.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Their Offensive IQ is elite. That's different than saying their overall IQ is elite.

Sure, their offensive IQ is elite, and perhaps their defensive IQ isn't elite, but their overall IQ is most certainly a "distinguishing factor". Norris trophy winners and nominees most certainly can be distinguished from the average defensemen based on their "overall hockey IQ". The fact that the strength of their hockey IQ lies in their offensive vision is irrelevant. I don't think your position is tenable.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
woah woah woah, lets not rank a player based on a short tournament. but excited to know Boeser has a pretty good teamate next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad