2016 Draft Thread | 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
IIRC he has played center a few times and his skill set is pretty well suited for center. His speed + the way he plays he doesn't really seem like a static winger. He can be all over the ice, plus with his vision and passing ability I can totally see him being a center.

I bet the team that drafts him will 100% explore him as a center.

Yes I said that the other day but everybody on this board said no.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
I think I might do a blog next year where I sit down and watch a draft eligible prospect for 5-10 games and give a detailed description of his play with an addition of video and highlights to support my descriptions.

There simply isn't enough centralized information on draft eligible prospects. I think most of my blog will be film because I'd want people to make up their own mind on a player. But I'll throw in some descriptions of stuff that is just too long to film. Plus people can use that film as a resource to make their own content.

That would be awesome man!

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Right now Tkachuk is playing on the line where he is the worst player. That to me is a big red flag.

I don't agree with this. Tkachuk may be the least flashy/"skilled" I suppose, although if skills makes up more than just fancy dangles I don't agree with that either. IMO if anyone is a product of playing with better players, it's Dvorak.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I don't agree with this. Tkachuk may be the least flashy/"skilled" I suppose, although if skills makes up more than just fancy dangles I don't agree with that either. IMO if anyone is a product of playing with better players, it's Dvorak.

I agree. Tkachuk is out scoring Dvorak who has turned 20 and Tkachuk has 17 primary points in 10 games. If Benning is smart he takes a forward with a top 5 pick and I think he will. Tkachuk is in that top 5

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
IIRC he has played center a few times and his skill set is pretty well suited for center. His speed + the way he plays he doesn't really seem like a static winger. He can be all over the ice, plus with his vision and passing ability I can totally see him being a center.

I bet the team that drafts him will 100% explore him as a center.
I know I brought up this possible experiment a month or two ago. But I don't recall Puljujarvi having actually played C in his career. Do you know when he played C?

GailWilliams

Mar 11, 2015
Victoria, BC
Is he this season's equivalent of Brandon Carlo?

Not really, Johansen is not overly physical. There's just really nothing about his game that stands out. I agree with the above poster, I wouldn't take him until the 3rd round. If we're taking a defenseman with our 33rd we should be targeting someone who has more offensive upside.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Out of curiosity, have there been any notable players in the past 10 years who were drafted as a winger but were able to become a top 6 center in the NHL?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Out of curiosity, have there been any notable players in the past 10 years who were drafted as a winger but were able to become a top 6 center in the NHL?

Benn and Kane can play centre.. perhaps not a terribly fair analogy as you're basically talking about guys who are impact players regardless of their position.

Edit: I think Scott Laughton and Brendance Gaunce were both listed as wingers.. Vey too

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I agree. Tkachuk is out scoring Dvorak who has turned 20 and Tkachuk has 17 primary points in 10 games. If Benning is smart he takes a forward with a top 5 pick and I think he will. Tkachuk is in that top 5

The more I watch him, the more I like him. I do think he helps Marner/Dvorak just as much as they help him, but he's still a tough prospect to evaluate for me given that he's playing on a powerhouse line. Right now I have him as the 5th best forward in the draft after being more sceptical earlier this season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not all that impressed with Puljujärvi in todays game vs Canada. He's getting pushed off the puck and losing control a lot.

I saw this was his 89th game of the season, 60+ against men, few injuries + just flew there.
He went there to help the team but he really needs to be healthy this offseason, he is rawest of the top3 prospects.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
10 more days to see if Canucks get a franchise player or a high end prospect.

If Canucks don't get the top 3, then I expect to draft the next tier of Pierre Luc Dubois, Tkachuk, or Nylander. Any of those players have a shot at beating Puljujarvi for 3rd best player if the stars align.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sportsnet's draft lottery odds are out.....according to their tables, we have a greater chance of winning the lottery, than drafting second or third....highest likelihood is fourth-fifth....don't ask me to explain it....I thought your odds went up across the board with each successive draw in the top three?....but will be compelling television nevertheless.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Sportsnet's draft lottery odds are out.....according to their tables, we have a greater chance of winning the lottery, than drafting second or third....highest likelihood is fourth-fifth....don't ask me to explain it....I thought your odds went up across the board with each successive draw in the top three?....but will be compelling television nevertheless.

Uhh... odds have been known for quite a while now...

Can see them here: http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
the odds are in the OP, m8s. we put them in multiple threads to save you from your own incredulousness

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Once I get home from classes I'll look it up.

If I can't find any info on it I'll retract my statements

Yeah, looks like Puljujarvi has never played center. As far as I can see, and I've been solidly googling for like 10 minutes.

When making my posts I just thought that it was reported he played center. Kind of made sense based of his skills.

My bad, sorry for the confusion!

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah, looks like Puljujarvi has never played center. As far as I can see, and I've been solidly googling for like 10 minutes.

When making my posts I just thought that it was reported he played center. Kind of made sense based of his skills.

My bad, sorry for the confusion!

If we stay in this spot, I expect Puljujarvi to play with Horvat.

Don't think he'll get center duties just yet,

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

dbd57bcbb3fff7245025a39061012200.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad