2016 Draft Thread | 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'll say it right now - if we draft Olli Juolevi anywhere in the top 7, people are going to look back on it in three years like they do the Virtanen pick as of today. We could do so much better than a smart, but limited offensive defender with a solid defensive game.

We need a gamebreaker, and all of Dubois, Chychrun, Sergachev, Tkachuk, and even a guy like Keller or Nylander, fit that mold better in the back half of the top 7.
He's the direct opposite of Virtanen, though. Ridiculously strong hockey IQ but not particularly toolsy versus ridiculously toolsy but not particularly strong hockey IQ (people keep saying it's just a silly narrative, but I think it's absolutely true/earned).

Personally, I'm more weary of the latter, which is why I didn't like the Virtanen pick.

Ideally you pick someone who's a solid dose of both, though.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yotes would be nuts to move OEL for Matthews

I get that they want the local star, but they're prospect pool/young NHL'ers is much deeper at forward than defense. They'd basically become the Oilers.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Why did they change the date to april 30. Last year it was like on the 16th or something. More time to collude?:sarcasm:

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
My biggest fear is that JB takes Juolevi...idk why but I just have a feeling he will.

Dubois, Tkachuk, or Chychrun...gotta be.

I've never not liked one of JBs picks, but this is the one that scared the **** outta me... Look at most of Juloevis assists...just feathers it to Marner or Dvorak, they do a bunch of dirty work and it's in...also watching him get bullied on the boards does not scream top 6-7

Man oh man this is gonna be a long summer..I don't even want my team taking him and were picking about 10th or so

Quark

Mar 31, 2016
Edmonton
My biggest fear is that JB takes Juolevi...idk why but I just have a feeling he will.

Dubois, Tkachuk, or Chychrun...gotta be.

I've never not liked one of JBs picks, but this is the one that scared the **** outta me... Look at most of Juloevis assists...just feathers it to Marner or Dvorak, they do a bunch of dirty work and it's in...also watching him get bullied on the boards does not scream top 6-7

Man oh man this is gonna be a long summer..I don't even want my team taking him and were picking about 10th or so

Juolevi also led an otherwise average defence to a wjc gold, and according to some finnish fans who have posted about him said he was directly responsible for a lot of their excellent transition play, Juolevi is not a bad choice at all, don't be afraid of him.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
1st-Matthews/Laine/Pulju
2nd-McAvoy/Niemalienen/Clauge/Johansen-In that order depending whos available
3rd-Ronning/Krys

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Not a chance, centers are more important than wingers. And the skill difference between Laine and Matthews is about equal.

Like when CENTREMEN Kyle Turris was ranked number 1 in the final rankings but Chicago elected to pick RW Patrick Kane?

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Matthews is being unbelievably underrated.

Matthews is a stud. He's going to be a 'real good' player for a lot of years. I just think the appeal will be too much to pass on with a guy Laine's size with hands that soft and a shot that good. At this point I see it as a good thing.. The top 3 picks are all going to be awesome

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
When we get to the point where we're making meaningless analogies involving Kyle Turris vs. Patrick Kane, yes he's being quite amusingly underrated. He'll pop 60 points next year and you'll be like woaaaaah!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad