2016 Draft Thread | 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

Two goals for Patrik Laine yesterday. His team, Tappara, advances to the second round of the Liiga playoffs.

Jesse Puljujärvi scored yesterday in his return from an injury. Kärpät won its match and leads its series 3-2 in the first round of the Liiga playoffs.

Edit (April 2, 2016): Patrik Laine scores in Game 2 of the Tappara vs Kärpät series; Tappara leads Kärpät 2-0 in their head-to-head series. Three goals in the last three games for Laine (including the ones posted at the top of this post). Here are Laine's highlights from that game.

I really wonder if benning might trade down if he gets pick #2/3
From Benning's own mouth; 1:42 of this interview excerpt from March 9, 2016:

Sekeres: Do you believe [Jacob Chychrun] is in the category of the two Finnish forwards, or is there separation there?

Benning: I believe there's separation. I believe those guys at the top end, Matthews and the two Finns, are -- they have a chance to be special players in the NHL. They have the size, the strength, the skill, so I think those top three guys, and then after that there's, for me, it's the next group.
If Vancouver receives one of the Top 3 selections, we're taking one of those top three players: Matthews, Laine, or Puljujärvi.

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2016-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-jan-2016/
McKeen’s top ranked prospect isn’t the “consensus” number one for the 2016 NHL draft, a distinction that has been bestowed upon Auston Matthews for the past year or more, yet Finland’s Patrik Laine has served notice to the scouting world that the decision on who goes first overall will not be an easy one, and that he is in the discussion.

“He’s the first prospect that reminds me of Mario (Lemieux) since Mario,” noted one senior NHL scout who was blown away by Laine’s performance at the WJC over the holidays, where the 6-4 left winger compiled seven goals and six assists in seven games while leading Finland to a Gold Medal victory at home.

“It’s ballsy to have him rated number one, but can’t say I disagree… he could be a home run.”

Laine is six months younger, three inches taller, and has outscored Matthews 29 goals to 19 in international play over the past three years. Up until now, Matthews had been considered the better prospect, but that wasn’t the case at the WJC, where Laine quite simply was the dominant offensive force from tournament start to finish along with linemate and fellow draft prospect Jesse Puljujarvi (ranked third overall).

His size, strength, puck skills, shot and smarts were evident in every game, and as the world juniors went on Laine became more willing to throw his body around as well.

“He competed hard in the big games,” noted one scout. “His point totals slowed down, but his willingness to compete defensively grew as they got closer to winning.”

Puljujarvi didn’t hurt his draft status at the WJC either after leading the WJC in scoring and being named the tournament MVP. The two Finnish forwards moved ahead of Michael McLeod in the rankings in large part because of their eye opening offensive performance at the WJC.

“Puljujarvi may be the more complete of the two Finns at this time,” said one scout. “He’s certainly not afraid to go in the corners and muck it up.”

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2016-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-mar-2016/

It’s not a knock against Matthews but instead a situation that may perhaps lead to developing some ‘bad habits’. His defensive play and intensity away from the puck has been noticeable in between the sparkling moments. Like Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel this season, he will have to make certain adjustments upon arriving in the NHL next fall.

Matthews is a ‘clear-cut’ No. 1 pick is many circles, however the staff here at McKeen’s feel that the rocket-like development of Patrik Laine this season has muddied the waters.

Laine made a number of new NHL believers playing recently in his international debut with the senior Finnish national team. “He was exceptional with the national team last week. Plays very well with good players,” said one top NHL scout.

Upon watching Laine’s masterful showing at the U20 World Juniors, another head scout suggested that Laine “reminded him of a young Mario.”

Those fortunate enough to have experienced the NHL career of Magnificant Mario Lemieux will no doubt see certain similarities in the style of Laine. His ability to dangle the puck anywhere within his body range, front, back, and side – combined with an innate sense for where the puck can be protected – is a bit eerily reminiscent of Lemieux.

Bob McKenzie's midterm ranking, February 8:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-mid-season-draft-ranking-topped-by-big-three-1.435206
Matthews, obviously, is the heavy favorite to be taken first overall at the draft in Buffalo on June 24, but it’s not an absolute slam dunk, despite going for 10 for 10 with our panel of scouts.

We asked those 10 scouts if Matthews at No. 1 was an “easy call” or “had to think long and hard about it.”

They were pretty much evenly split.

“Had to think long and hard about it,” said another scout. “Laine is right there. In the end, we favoured the centre over the winger but I don’t think it’s a reach at all to see Laine going first overall. A lot of our European scouts who see these guys think Laine is better.”

Likewise, the scouts are somewhat divided on whether Matthews, who only missed being eligible for last year’s NHL draft by a mere two days, is in the same class as Buffalo Sabres rookie Jack Eichel, another big American No. 1 centre. Half said Matthews should be considered in the same universe as Eichel; half said he was just a step behind, perhaps with a better all-around game than Eichel but maybe not projected to be as dynamic offensively in the NHL.

Laine is the best goal-scoring talent of the three.

My take:
Laine and Puljujärvi are both excellent players. Jesse has a more endearing personality, which might come into play in terms of leadership. Laine is also mature, but he also comes across as a little colder. Both offer different skill sets; Jesse is a more explosive, dynamic skater and seems to shoot more than deke, while Patrik has a better shot and appears to be craftier with the puck. In that regard, Laine seems to be a more slippery player with good speed and strength, while Puljujärvi is more about full throttle, aggressive play in spite of his lankier frame. Laine is stronger than Puljujärvi and has a more imposing presence, although Jesse's skating allows him to be more of an aggressive forechecker (and backchecker). They create their opportunities in different ways, although Laine is equipped with better tools in the goal scoring department.

I'll just be happy if Vancouver picks either of them. From a goal scoring perspective, Laine is the player to go with. I can see Puljujärvi blazing around the ice more and being a greater puck hound. Laine has good speed to rush the puck too, but he will need to use a little bit more strength and savvy stick handling. That said, when the puck is on his stick, I can see it being a challenge to get it off of him. He also has a better cannon than Jesse.

These are my impressions based on what I've seen so far.

During the World Junior Championship, I saw Puljujärvi carry the puck out a lot, which drew the opposing defensemen. He would then pass the puck to Laine, who would barrel through the neutral zone with less coverage on him. Both are good passers.
I like Laine the most out of the three. I think Puljujärvi is right there as well, as he offers elite speed, great puck rushing ability, a good shot (but not quite as good as Laine's), playmaking abilities, and aggressive 200-foot play.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-world-finnish-pair-excites-potential-nhl-draft-lottery-contestants

When you ask Jere Lehtinen — the Finnish World Cup general manager, three-time Selke award winner and Stanley Cup winner in Dallas in 1999, about Laine and Puljujarvi — his eyes absolutely light up.

It’s like he’s a proud father of twins. Laine had 33 points in 46 SM-Liiga games for Tappara in Tampere; Puljujarvi had 28 points in 50 games for Karpat in Oulu. Laine is a right-shot, left-winger. Puljujarvi shoots right and plays right side. Both are six-foot-three, 200 pounds.

“Only 17 years old. That’s very young to be dominating, playing in a men’s league,” said Lehtinen.

Can both play in the NHL this upcoming season?

“I don’t have any doubts,” said Lehtinen, who was at Rexall Place last week to scout Oilers winger Iiro Pakarinen for the World Cup team along with his World Cup coach and former Oilers forward (briefly in 1984) Kari Jalonen.

“Laine and Puljujarvi have size, physicality, and they can skate.”

“Laine has something special skill-wise … I haven’t seen a shot like he has in a long, long time,” said Lehtinen, who had the right-winger playing for the Finnish national team for two games against Sweden in February and he looked totally at home, skating and physically.

“In the world junior, sometimes he’d score goals going one-on-one like Mario Lemieux. He looks like that. Big guy. His stick and reach is amazing, quick hands. Hockey sense? He’s got that, too. He can pass the puck and his skating has become much better than it was the last 18 months ago. Doesn’t look like he’s going fast, but he is. He’s pushing hard.”

“Laine is only 17 but he has a perfect shot.”

Jalonen says Puljujarvi is a better skater right now, who finds his spots.

Can Laine and Puljujarvi play on the World Cup team?

“That’s interesting for us. We’ve got spots (seven at forward) open. If they’re in the world championship with us (in Russia) that’s pretty close,” said Lehtinen.

“This is good for us … everybody is talking about this (Laine and Puljujarvi),” said Jalonen.

Last edited by a moderator:

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Every time I see Puljujärvi highlights, I feel bad that I have him at 5 because his enthusiasm is so likeable :(

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
2bh Puljujärvi will probably be the best player in the draft. Ridiculous skillset, been saying it for like 6 months.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I've changed my mind. Even if I had first overall I think I'd choose one of the Finns. I have a feeling both Finns will turn out to be better players than Matthews. I've also read some pretty good articles and opinions about Laine playing Center. I hope we can get a top 3 pick, but even if we have the #1 I'd take a Finn.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I've changed my mind. Even if I had first overall I think I'd choose one of the Finns. I have a feeling both Finns will turn out to be better players than Matthews. I've also read some pretty good articles and opinions about Laine playing Center. I hope we can get a top 3 pick, but even if we have the #1 I'd take a Finn.

Centers have more value, that is the only reason I take him over the two fins.

If it's based on pure talent, all 3 are equals imo

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
2bh Puljujärvi will probably be the best player in the draft. Ridiculous skillset, been saying it for like 6 months.

I think so too, I think both Finns will end up being better than Matthews

Say we win the 1st overall and Arizona wins the 3rd overall. Do we swap picks with them and take their 2nd rounder ?

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Centers have more value, that is the only reason I take him over the two fins.

If it's based on pure talent, all 3 are equals imo

I'm of that mind too but I think both Finns will be better players. So 5 years down the road you want the better player. Puljujarvi is an absolute game-breaking stud. I think a couple years down the road you'll want Pul over Matthews. Plus there's talk of Laine being able to play center.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think so too, I think both Finns will end up being better than Matthews

Say we win the 1st overall and Arizona wins the 3rd overall. Do we swap picks with them and take their 2nd rounder ?

No, you draft Laine 1st overall, he's going to be a special player in the NHL. I have faith in Horvat and McCann for centers, especially if Laine is on the wing on the top line.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
No, you draft Laine 1st overall, he's going to be a special player in the NHL. I have faith in Horvat and McCann for centers, especially if Laine is on the wing on the top line.

Agreed. It would be a blessing to pick 2/3 and grab either Finn.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
People are just falling in love with the flashiness of the Finns, Matthews is the better prospect playing the more important position. I wouldn't even consider taking anyone else over Matthews and I would be pretty upset if we passed on Matthews to draft one of the Finns.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
People are just falling in love with the flashiness of the Finns, Matthews is the better prospect playing the more important position. I wouldn't even consider taking anyone else over Matthews and I would be pretty upset if we passed on Matthews to draft one of the Finns.

Here we go again with the silly ''well he's a centre so you take him'' thing.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Here we go again with the silly ''well he's a centre so you take him'' thing.

Matthews is about as complete as it gets for a number 1 pick. He's no McDavid, but he will be a franchise player without a doubt. Not a single glaring hole in his game and oozes game breaking potential.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Why would you not maximize your own value.
A 2nd rounder is a hilariously low price to pay to move up in the draft.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Matthews is severely getting underrated. You dont always "win" with the dynamic offensive players. Those guys can be shut down in the playoffs. Its almost always the all around players that win the cups. Kopitar/Toews/Bergeron/Datsyuk/Crosby. These are the cup winning C's for the last 8 years. The only dynamic offensive winger on any of those teams is Patrick Kane.

Rick Nash Ilya Kovalchuk Blake Wheeler are the most comparables for Laine Puljujarvi. Those players are dynamic as hell.

Horvat is not a cup winning #1 C caliber center.

If we go first, we take Matthews. Unless if you plan on getting Nolan next year. Theres no other way to get these players other than through the draft. And they are much rarer than wingers.

Last edited:

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Boom. Agree.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
There's no doubt that Mathews is the best player in this draft, right now.
Every team will take him first overall,even Edmonton if they decide not to trade it.
Many scouts believe that If Mathews was borned two days earlier, he would pass Eichel as the 2nd overall pick from last year

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Pick 2nd overall:

Laine - Horvat - Baertschi
Virtanen - McCann - Boeser

Convert Baertschi into a RW to allow him to use his offensive instincts more. Laine and Horvat will be a big, strong, dynamic duo with Baertschi adding in his offensive talents. Boeser and McCann will be a deadly combination of speed, playmaking and scoring ability with Virtanen freeing up space for them to work.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Hypothetical situation

We have 1st Overall at the draft
Arizona has 2nd overall at the draft.
Arizona wants to move up for Matthews.
Would you trade 1st Overall (Matthews) for 2nd Overall (Laine) and Christian Dvorak?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Pick 2nd overall:

Laine - Horvat - Baertschi
Virtanen - McCann - Boeser

Convert Baertschi into a RW to allow him to use his offensive instincts more. Laine and Horvat will be a big, strong, dynamic duo with Baertschi adding in his offensive talents. Boeser and McCann will be a deadly combination of speed, playmaking and scoring ability with Virtanen freeing up space for them to work.

Laine can play RW so why convert Baertchi!

Baertschi-Horvat-Laine
Virtanen-McCann-Boeser

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Do people know how rare #1 Cs are?

If Canucks were to get the #1 pick, which I am pretty sure they won't. Pick Matthews and run. Forget about everything else.

If Boeser can turn into #1 line winger, him and Matthews and u got your Sedins replacement for 15+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad