2016 Draft: Matthews + Old Management vs. Laine + New Management

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
This might be the first yr that I'd be happy with either 1 or 2nd pick
Both players will be franchise changers immediately.
If we finish 30th like it looks like we will we are getting one or the other

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
If there was an option of no first round pick + this management. I would take that.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I chose Matthews assuming the old management would get to work with the CURRENT team. If it was the 2013 Leafs getting Matthews with Nonis in charge, I'm convinced he'd bust.

So ya, I retract my horrible vote.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Modano won a Cup.. Sundin did not. Modano was a sweet skater, Sundin was a choppy skater.

Sundin had a great shot. A really great shot, and was good around the net, but please, don't compare him to Modano.

When you went to a hockey game that Modano played in, you just went wow. That didn't happen often enough with Mats, who, I have interfaced with on many occasions and he is a perfect gentleman. But not as great as many on hockey boards have suggested.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I chose Matthews assuming the old management would get to work with the CURRENT team. If it was the 2013 Leafs getting Matthews with Nonis in charge, I'm convinced he'd bust.

So ya, I retract my horrible vote.

Way to ruin the clean vote :rant:

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
This might be the first yr that I'd be happy with either 1 or 2nd pick
Both players will be franchise changers immediately.
If we finish 30th like it looks like we will we are getting one or the other

Unfortunately not. If we finish 30th we could fall as low as 4th. That's the cruel nature of the new draft lottery, implemented at the worst time imaginable.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Here is why I don't want Matthews here. And don't get me wrong, I love Americans, 3/4's of my family is american and I do all my business in the States.

Problem with real americans, they don't put up with petty b.s.

Watch this video and understand why I liked Kessel and I "think" most of MLSE hated him. He was and is a man who is not afraid to express himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvpY3i-UcCg

Americans, despite their cartoon character presidents and leaders, are no no nonsense people.

If I don't want Matthews, its because of what he might feel being in our fishbowl. Laine could probably handle it fine.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Unfortunately not. If we finish 30th we could fall as low as 4th. That's the cruel nature of the new draft lottery, implemented at the worst time imaginable.

Well that sucks
I thought only the number 1 pick could drop down up to 4th
The oilers luck/fixing has bit us in the ass

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Modano won a Cup.. Sundin did not. Modano was a sweet skater, Sundin was a choppy skater.

Sundin had a great shot. A really great shot, and was good around the net, but please, don't compare him to Modano.

When you went to a hockey game that Modano played in, you just went wow. That didn't happen often enough with Mats, who, I have interfaced with on many occasions and he is a perfect gentleman. But not as great as many on hockey boards have suggested.

Sounds like someone didn't get a chance to see Sundin when he was younger. Mats is one of the most deceptive skaters that I recall watching. Even with his wonky hip, he could still skate well enough to separate himself from defenders. I would not call him choppy or lumbering...I'm just gonna call him powerful.

And the argument that modano won stuff but sundin didn't makes little sense. You don't grade a student based on whether his class did their homework or not.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Sounds like someone didn't get a chance to see Sundin when he was younger. Mats is one of the most deceptive skaters that I recall watching. Even with his wonky hip, he could still skate well enough to separate himself from defenders. I would not call him choppy or lumbering...I'm just gonna call him powerful.

And the argument that modano won stuff but sundin didn't makes little sense. You don't grade a student based on whether his class did their homework or not.

Modano and Sundin is at the same level. Modano got a Stanley Cup while Sundin got a Gold Medal.
To me I think winning the Gold Medal at the Olympics is harder than winning the Stanley Cup.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

To be fair Mats did a lot of things that didn't woo a lot of people out of their seats. But I think he just made things look simple that most players couldn't do. Mats looked like he was always gliding around yet when he got the puck he created space and scoring chances.

Modano had a lot of good teammates on those cup teams. Mats made his linemates, and carried a whole team on his back.

When ppl say that Sundin never won a cup thus he was overrated frustrates me. A lot of great players never had a chance to win a cup but that d shouldn't deflect away from how good they were.

A lot of ppl remember yzerman as a great 2 way player but much like mats yzerman was a dynamic scorer until he much like mats changed his style for the success of the team rather then the success of himself. Tho mats point totals weren't consistently in the 100 point range he was o.t of the most dangerous most consistent offensive and defensive players of his time.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
:laugh:

Laine is the Finnish Sundin
&
Mathews is the American Sundin.

Marner is the new Gilmour.

Now we need to find Andreychuk and Potvin.

We already have Lupul as Clark.
Always injured.
Give him one great season and 2 good playoff runs and That's Clark right there

Lupul as Clark huh did I miss something? Not even remotely the same player jokes or not...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad