2016 Draft: Matthews + Old Management vs. Laine + New Management

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I figured this would be a fun hypothetical question to pose to people. Would you rather receive the first overall pick (Matthews) but have our previous management team making our picks, or receive the second overall pick (Laine) and have the our current team making our picks? I thought this would spark some interesting debate.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I want Laine. He reminds me of... MATS SUNDIN!! Patrik Laine will be the new Sundin!! And with Stamkos beside Laine... with Nylander on the 2nd line C... O...m...g.... I don't think we need him at C with Stamkos and Nylander. and Marner and JVR

Mathews doesn't have a very appealing last name. But if he lands to us I won't be to upset ;)

I see a lot of people on these boards wanting Laine. A lot of people want Laine over Mathews and people are making a case for it. He's a special player. It's very close.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I'd even take new management and no pick

just for the fact they are rebuilding. Burke's first move here was to essentially trade away 2 first round

the old team-building style gave me zero hope. Mostly because it looked more like money-grubbing than trying for a cup. The rebuild might fail miserably but at least I have hope

(unless this was just a hypothetical about one draft. I'd take matthews in that case, and hope the old fired scouts finally got lucky. I feel more confident in the new people but it's still mostly dumb luck after the first round)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
draft Matthews, immediately fire Nonis and co on stage after the pick is made. Hire all our guys now and let them handle the rest of the draft and future.

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
New management 1000x. Heck, I'd rather have Alex Nylander and New Management than Matthews and Old Management. THATS what a difference it has been.
The future is bright, my friends. Bleed blue, forever.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
This is not even a question. You could take it right down to the Nylanders of the draft and I'd still take him and the new management.

I have no faith that the old group could win even with a Matthews. They were just unable to go down the path necessary.

Now of course I'd gladly take Matthews + the new management :), but as per the question it's not a hard choice.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Well, this is a little more lopsided than I expected :laugh: I was initially going to say 4th OA instead of Laine, but my buddy convinced me to change it - would that have changed anyone's vote?

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Says the person with the Finnish flag beside their name. ;)

I usually have benefit of a doubt when we're talking of Finnish players, but Laine is something special. Not going to say he will be better than Matthews. That's impossible to predict. Granlund was treat to watch, but you could say he had some issues to solve and those issues have prevented him to become great player. Laine has Barkov like potential and Barkov was underrated in his draft year. His raw skill set is even better with his shot and passing. Barkov is center and has very high hockey iq, so can't fully compare, but yeah.

Matthews is playing in high scoring league and 3th & 4th aren't that good in Switzerland so it's way easier to score there. His clear 1st pick in my mind, but it might change in few years. Laine is beast.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
I want Laine. He reminds me of... MATS SUNDIN!! Patrik Laine will be the new Sundin!! And with Stamkos beside Laine... with Nylander on the 2nd line C... O...m...g.... I don't think we need him at C with Stamkos and Nylander. and Marner and JVR

Mathews doesn't have a very appealing last name. But if he lands to us I won't be to upset ;)

I see a lot of people on these boards wanting Laine. A lot of people want Laine over Mathews and people are making a case for it. He's a special player. It's very close.

:laugh:

Laine is the Finnish Sundin
&
Mathews is the American Sundin.

Marner is the new Gilmour.

Now we need to find Andreychuk and Potvin.

We already have Lupul as Clark.
Always injured.
Give him one great season and 2 good playoff runs and That's Clark right there

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
:laugh:

Laine is the Finnish Sundin
&
Mathews is the American Sundin.

Marner is the new Gilmour.

Now we need to find Andreychuk and Potvin.

We already have Lupul as Clark.
Always injured.
Give him one great season and 2 good playoff runs and That's Clark right there

Sh!t I forgot about JVR
HE makes a great Clark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad