Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I think Aaron Sanchez will breakout this year... He was really pitching well as a starter last year after a rocky start and the injury derailed him. Came back in the pen and did a great job.

His problem early on was that he gave hitters too much respect and tried to make perfect pitches rather then just pumping 97-99 with that zip he's got. Hes finally starting to realize how good he is, and that's a good thing for the Jays.

Disapointment? David Price. I don't expect it, just hopeful. It would be awesome to see the sox with yet another albatross contract.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Breakouts:

Travis D'Arnaud - stays healthy, 25 HRs +
Jonathan Schoop - 25+ HRs, 2.5-3 WAR
George Springer - flirts with 30-30
Lance McCullers - 200IP, low 3s ERA

Disappointments:

Chris Davis - puts up good numbers but nothing like last season
Yoenis Cespedes - don't expect Mets' like production over an entire season
Zack Greinke - will be very good but not top-5 in majors

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Breakout:

Stephen Strasburg in contract year, it's time - Cy Young for him.

Jonathan Schoop will improve his plate discipline and slug at least 25 HR.

Jacob DeGrom reminds me so much for Pedro, gonna fight for Strasburg for Cy Young. At least 216 IP.

Hector Olivera established himself as legit middle of the order bat.

Adam Conley quickly will become the guy behind Jose and Chen, he's really good.

It's not like breakout but Nolan Arenado will be frontrunner for MVP award with even more power and more walks.

Rougned Odor could become top 3 2B.

Kyle Hendricks becomes Cubs #2 starter.

Disappoitments:

Yoenis Cespedes and Jeurys Familia. Almost entire White Sox - average players like Latos and Jackson + enigma in Lawrie and the dinosaur Rollins doesn't make them contender for anything. Masahiro Tanaka with that fastball is no more TOR guy. Scott Kazmir. Jeff Samardzija. Rich Hill will be out of the league by summer. He's not good.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Segura will return to all-star form with his non-Baseball stuff no longer being a huge issue in his life (or at least not a current one). Richards will be a cy-young contender. Arenado will be the NL MVP.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Breakout: Carlos Martinez, Nolan Arenado (even more so).

Disappointment: Matt Shoemaker, Xander Bogaerts.

Missed on Bogaerts but rest is pretty spot on. :P
Felt I was a bit too vague/safe last year so I'll try to be more specific.

Breakouts:
- Kyle Hendricks. Becomes a legit #2 type guy. 175+ strikeouts. Mid 3s era.
- Marcus Stroman. Similar to Hendricks, less strikeouts.
- Maikel Franco. Hits 30hr with a ~.250 avg.
- Jaime Garcia. Maybe not a breakout in the traditional sense. Finally stays healthy for most part. 175 innings, ~3.25era.

Disappointments:
- Yasiel Puig. Hamstring and other injuries continue to crop up. Plays less than 100 games once again.
- Michael Brantley. Shoulder issues slow him down. Reverts back to 2013 form. 10-12hr, .725ops.
- Marco Estrada. Nagging injuries and a jump in hr/fb rate bring him back to mediocrity. 150ip, 4.10 era.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Breakout:
Kevin Gausman, Justin Smoak, Travis Snider, Aaron Sanchez, James Paxton, Brandon Morrow (if in pen)

Disappointment:
Nelson Cruz, Yoenis Cespedes, Alfredo Simon, Matt Wieters, Hanley Ramirez, Matt Shoemaker, Edinson Volquez.

Well, I got a few right :laugh:

Breakouts:
- Kyle Hendricks
- Marcus Stroman
- Aaron Sanchez
- Rougned Odor
- Jonathan Schoop
- Lance McCullers
- Wei-Yin Chen
- Tyler Goeddel
- Marcell Ozuna

Disappointments:
- Yasiel Puig
- Masahiro Tanaka (elbow finally explodes)
- Chris Colabello
- Adam Jones (continues to decline)
- Lorenzo Cain (takes a step backwards)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Breakout-Noah Syndergaard, Travis D'Arnaud, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Correa, Joc Pederson

Disappointment-Zach Greinke, R.A Dickey, Prince Fielder, Brandon Phillips, Jose Bautista

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
For Houston, I will say breakout, George Springer(Correa as well but it seems everyone is assuming he will have a big season) and disappointment, Carlos Gomez. Now I don't think Gomez will be garbage, think he will still help the team but not as much as what they were hoping for. I will also add Ken Giles, he could go either way imo.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Breakout: Marcell Ozuna, Gregory Polanco, Steven Matz, Vincent Velasquez, Raisel Iglesias

Disappointment: Jacob DeGrom, Jeff Samardzija, Carlos Gomez, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber

Disclaimer: didn't put a ton of thought into either list, and went more in terms of expectations than total boom/bust. I lean towards Schwarber being more of a bust, at least in terms of the pulse on him in fantasy baseball (he'll obviously be useful in some capacity to the actual Cubs)-- it's identical to the hype Gattis had last year, with no DH to catch him.

The other guys I all just think in terms of where they seem to me on other people's radars. I am guessing that by July, Ozuna will be back to such a level that people will look back on rumors of him being shipped out for little as astonishing. Dude is definitely capable of approaching 30 HRs.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Breakout: Roughned Odor, Michael Taylor, Miguel Sano, Trevor Bauer, Juan Nicasio, Corey Dickerson

Disappointment: Puig, hopefully everyone on the Giants, Boone Logan

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Breakouts:
- Marcus Stroman
- Aaron Sanchez
- Rougned Odor
- Jonathan Schoop
- Lance McCullers
- Wei-Yin Chen
- Matt Duffy
- Christian Yelich
- JT Realmuto

Disappointments:
- Jake Arrieta
- Yasiel Puig
- Adam Jones
- Lorenzo Cain
- David Price
- Xander Boegarts

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I can see why people think Bogaerts would disappoint. He had a BABIP driven season last year didn't hit for any power and didn't walk. I am not saying he will I just don't think the power will ever become a thing for him and if it does it will probably be at the sacrifice of some contact. Will be very interesting player to watch this year either way.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hard for me to picture Bogaerts disappointing. See him getting better if anything.

Doesn't mean he'll regress. Him stagnating and basically coming close to last year's numbers is a disappointment since pretty much everyone is expecting him to make another jump.

I think he'll add power this year.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Breakouts:

Drew Smyly
Juan Nicasio
Yasmani Grandal
Ben Paulsen
Stephen Piscotty
Joe Panik
George Springer
Joe Ross
Delino Deshields
Aaron Hicks
Scott Schebler

Disappointments:

Tyson Ross
Rick Porcello
Jon Lester
Jeff Samardzija
Sonny Gray
Zack Greinke
Yasiel Puig
Starling Marte
Jacoby Ellsbury
Nathan Eovaldi

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This isn't a breakout but more of a rebound. Robbie Cano hit 15 HRs after the AS break last season and has continued into spring. I think he flirts with 30.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Breakout-Noah Syndergaard, Travis D'Arnaud, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Correa, Joc Pederson

Disappointment-Zach Greinke, R.A Dickey, Prince Fielder, Brandon Phillips, Jose Bautista

Are you expecting Dickey to get injured/implode and be moved out of the rotation? I understand that he's a disappointment relative to his 2012 value but don't you think you're overkilling this now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad