NCAA: 2016 Bowl watch (Non NY6/Playoff)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Looks like Tennessee and Nebraska will play in Nashville for the Music City Bowl.

My brother is telling me that the bowl committee passed on a potential Pittsburgh/West Virginia bowl matchup.

How lame.

Same thing happened w/ Texas and Texas A&M in the Houston bowl IIRC about 3 years ago.

They did have BYU/Utah in Vegas last year though.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
UNC/Stanford in the Sun Bowl.

NC State/Vanderbilt in the Independence Bowl.

Wake Forest/Temple Military Bowl.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Very happy for Western Michigan. But thought it was a bit lame to schedule them against Wisconsin.

Would have been nice to see them compete outside a conference they play regularly.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Same thing happened w/ Texas and Texas A&M in the Houston bowl IIRC about 3 years ago.

That one was a matter of the two teams involved wanting nothing to do with playing eachother. Pitt & WVU have already schedule future games against eachother so I can't see that being the case here. Glad to see the committee not totally **** things up and at least give us 1 of the 3 possible OBE matchups that were out there. It's just that between the possibility of WVU-Pitt, WVU-VT, and WVU-Miami this is probably the least sexy of the 3 from a TV perspective.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
North Texas and Mississippi State are going bowling despite having 5-7 records.

Because they need to stop adding freaking bowl games. There's 40! games, 41 if you include the National Title game.

There's at least 10 too many.

They've added 7 (well 6 really since apparently, officially, the Motor City Bowl folded and Quick Lane Bowl replaced it, even though they're essentially the same thing.) since 2014 alone and 9 this decade. And they have another 9 games/sites proposed for the future, but I think adding any more games has been put on hold for at least 2-3 years. I think they're realizing it's getting out of hand.

And I say this as someone who likes the bowls too.

member 51464

Didn't the Big 10 used to have a no back-to-back rule about the Rose Bowl and a Rose Bowl or bust rule? Classier times.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm working on the 17th, so at least I'll have two Nobody Cares Bowl games to watch and make parlay bets on to pass the time. Plus there's two college hoops games and I think maybe an afternoon hockey game. Should be a good shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad