2016 All-Star Game Post Game Thread: John Scott MVP

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
zkNm7dG.jpg

Someone should photoshop John Scott for the sweater and NHL as the guy stealing, and internet and fans as the first guy. This is what ASG was

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The average NHL player makes $32k per game. Last night 40 players played for $1M. That works out to an average of $25k per player for the game.

Given that all-stars are supposed to be above average players I would say they were already working well below their income level.

People complain that players don't care enough during the ASG and then complain when the NHL gives them an incentive to actually try.

Money still talks, no matter how much these guys already have in the bank.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
People complain that players don't care enough during the ASG and then complain when the NHL gives them an incentive to actually try.

Money still talks, no matter how much these guys already have in the bank.

Agreed. Players can choose to donate the extra they receive, or not. It's fine to praise those who want to donate (even if it's just from their normal salary), but you never denigrate someone for deciding not to donate money.

Although, in this case, I saw reports saying that the players were giving all the money to Scott.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Conspiracy theory:

The nhl knew what it was doing the whole time. Bettman was not expecting a plug like Scott to get so many votes but once he saw was going on he hatched a plan to get as many people talking about the controversy as possible. Have Scott traded and say he can't go only to change their minds after the outcry. Bettman made himself and the NHL the villains to obtain the max amount of viewers of the all Star game and get everyone talking about the NHL, especially during a slow part of the season.

NHL gets max viewers, and makes more money. John Scott wins a bunch of money, and gets his 15 minutes. Win - win.

And yes, I'm selling tin foil hats for $14.95 + shipping and handling.

That's so funny, I was saying the EXACT same thing in the locker room at my game last night. Every hero needs a villain!

vuvuzela

Jul 6, 2010
Ok I can get on board with the whole Scott story and how awesome it is but please let's not change the narrative to "the fans just wanted the plug player to get his chance"

That would be 100% not true. First off Scott is not some plug player like, let's say Bobby Farnham or Tanner Glass, he is a "goon" and the voting did start off as a joke on the NHL to get the worst player in the NHL into the "ALL STAR" game.

This wasn't some Rudy type grass roots thing, it was a joke. It didn't finish that way but it absolutely started that way.

While I agree that it most likely started as a joke, seeing how Scott is viewed as one of the worst players in the league, when I first saw that he was gaining momentum, I wanted to see him there, not as a joke, but because I like John Scott and I wanted to see a player of his caliber/role take part in the festivities.

I wanted Rory Fitzpatrick to make it as well.

I didn't vote, but the whole time I was watching and the whole time I wanted him to be there. Not so I could laugh at him, but so I could laugh with him, as he appeared to be having a good time with it. While you couldn't script a better result, I fully expected his appearance to go over well, the NHL just happened to unintentionally create magic by handling the situation as poorly as they did.

Regardless of how you feel about players like John Scott, I have a hard time believing everybody who voted did so to make fun of him, the all-star game, the NHL, or all of the above.

vuvuzela

Jul 6, 2010
That's so funny, I was saying the EXACT same thing in the locker room at my game last night. Every hero needs a villain!

I want to believe as well. But after watching the decisions made by NHL head office over the years, I can't see them being this wise.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I want you all to note one thing. During the ASG weekend there wasn't one tweet or FB post from the Coyotes (Howler posts came late in the weekend). Not even a congratulations to Scott (which would have gone a LONG way to repair the negative rep for which they will forever be associated) after winning the MVP. They're also denying requests for interviews with Coyotes personnel.

If you're looking to get into PR, let this be a lesson on how NOT to handle a situation like this.

I keep reading people voted in Scott is a joke, maybe some did but we can't say for certain everyone's rational.

The majority of the media/NHL who have been saying this don't get what happened or get what is going on. They're just blaming Puck Daddy and Jeff Marek for what transpired because it's easy.

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I want you all to note one thing. During the ASG weekend there wasn't one tweet or FB post from the Coyotes (Howler posts came late in the weekend). Not even a congratulations to Scott (which would have gone a LONG way to repair their rep for which they will forever be associated) after winning the MVP. They're also denying requests for interviews with Coyotes personnel.

Montreal was pretty slow to acknowledge him but they did eventually tweet a congratulations after many other NHL teams. Some people in the Montreal media took the team to task for appearing to disown him until pretty much forced to react.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
If you're looking to get into PR, let this be a lesson on how NOT to handle a situation like this.

And the record will show that the only Coyotes sweaters that made it onto the ice this All Star weekend were being worn by John Scott's daughters. That family seems to hold no grudge against Arizona, but Maloney and crew couldn't show an ounce of respect back.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
And the record will show that the only Coyotes sweaters that made it onto the ice this All Star weekend were being worn by John Scott's daughters. That family seems to hold no grudge against Arizona, but Maloney and crew couldn't show an ounce of respect back.

Exactly.

vavera4ka

Quack! Quack!
Dec 27, 2014
twitter.com
random, has anyone suggested that john should go into an analyst/commentary position after he retires? i really like his voice and how he talks

Right after the article and then the interview he did before the week end I immediately thought of that.
He knows the game from the inside, he has analytical type of mind (he must, having an engineering degree), he is very eloquent and well spoken, and he has class unlike some other former enforcer that I won't name, but his last name rhymes with "shmirbery". So he'll be polite, knowledgeable, informative and relatable. I can see a very bright future in hockey related tv for him.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think possibly the most pleasing and telling thing throughout the All star weekend was how much affection the other players treated him with, particularly his central team-mates. Obviously Burns and Pavelski were leading it, but seeing the likes of Perry and other former teammates like Patrick Kane clearly delighted for him helped make it such a feel good event.

The genuine affection and friendship from Burns was incredibly emotional to see, as the San Jose man was clearly determined to help his buddy have the best possible time out there, and repeatedly made sure that Scott was respected in his own right in several interviews and on the ice.

Having already had a little awareness of Scott's education and comparative eloquence, I like several others was won over by Burns in a big way. Not that he didn't already come into the category of one the players I most wish the wings had traded for back in the day!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Props to the guy. He was put in a crazy situation, but came through it. Played some great hockey at a time when he definitely needed to. Rose to the occasion.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, where I can pre-buy tickets to the movie?

On a serious note, has there been a better story to come out of the NHL since the lockout?

Thinking Bourque is perhaps #1...then a couple with Scott could duke it out for #2.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Calgary Stampede parade mashall

Just heard on Calgary global news that there is a petition to have John Scott as the parade marshall for the Calgary Stampede. They have a ton of signatures already, and expect to hear from Scott today.

They also talked with John's agent who said John is literally overwhelmed with endorsement offers , also confirmed that there will be a movie.

They said he basically lived the dream of every young hockey player, and is basically Cinderella on skates.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
They also talked with John's agent who said John is literally overwhelmed with endorsement offers , also confirmed that there will be a movie.

They said he basically lived the dream of every young hockey player, and is basically Cinderella on skates.

Hope they do. I was at the game and still get goosebumps.
I'm sure it didn't come across as intense on TV as it was in the arena.

Definitely one of, if not the best sporting event I've ever attended. And I've been to a lot....

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
random, has anyone suggested that john should go into an analyst/commentary position after he retires? i really like his voice and how he talks
He'd certainly be better than some of the eunuchs working as hockey analysts nowadays.

Dear Nashville/Gary Bettman:

You're welcome.

Signed: John Scott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad