2016 All-Star Game Post Game Thread: John Scott MVP

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
For real. People that say he isn't any good probably have no idea what it takes to play one shift in the NHL. Take an ECHL player to a beer league and you will very quickly see how much better they are than the average player. I have seen ECHL goalies play forward in a summer rec league and completely dominate the play.

Scott has also been training and practising in the NHL for years. His skills will have improved significantly over the last 10 years from that alone. Not to mention a fair bit of NHL game experience where he'd have to play well positionally even if he isn't expected to be an offensive threat.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
CaFzb_-UkAApWOW.png

returnoftheyeti

Jan 22, 2014
Quick Question, how was the MVP vote supposed to work? I keep seeing that John was a write in candidate, but who / how was the official vote supposed to go?

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
It won't be the same. The improbability, the novelty, and the venue all contributed and the fates converged. In Nashville you just might get seen and heard by the right people to make it big--that was the storyline for this particular All Star Game. The regular guy wins the lottery, the regular guy sings on the Opry stage, the regular guy (in comparison) makes it to the All Star game and wins MVP. If it was something cooked up by the NHL marketing department, I salute them, but I think this just happened.

While it might work in LA next year, it's not going to work in most markets because the backdrop isn't there.
This I tend to agree with. It was lightning in a bottle.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Quick Question, how was the MVP vote supposed to work? I keep seeing that John was a write in candidate, but who / how was the official vote supposed to go?

On the megatron it listed 3 people with #NameNHLMVP (or similar, but you get the idea). One was Roberto Luongo. I honestly can't remember the other two. When that screen went up the arena started buzzing and the rest is history.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
Am I the only one who's bothered by the fact these guys actually won a million dollars ? I think this should have gone to charity. Maybe the 4 teams could have chosen a different cause and play for it.

The average NHL player makes $32k per game. Last night 40 players played for $1M. That works out to an average of $25k per player for the game.

Given that all-stars are supposed to be above average players I would say they were already working well below their income level.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
The average NHL player makes $32k per game. Last night 40 players played for $1M. That works out to an average of $25k per player for the game.

Given that all-stars are supposed to be above average players I would say they were already working well below their income level.

Only the winning team shared the million dollars.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
On the megatron it listed 3 people with #NameNHLMVP (or similar, but you get the idea). One was Roberto Luongo. I honestly can't remember the other two. When that screen went up the arena started buzzing and the rest is history.

Yep, one was Johnny Hockey, but forget the last one. (Perry maybe?)
Crowd went nuts when he wasn't listed as an option..........which then led to the John Scott and MVP chants.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
Only the winning team shared the million dollars.

I'm aware, but all 4 teams were fighting for that million...so going into the tournament a player has an average expected income of $25k.

Edit:

Come to think of it, Patrick Kane's $10.5M/year contract means he gets $125k/game, so even _WINNING_ the ASG with a $1M prize is a discount from him. If they want to make the $ a motivator they need to make it $10M. Now THAT would make for an interesting game. I doubt Dutchy would have back checked so softly on Scott's goal then. ;)

Last edited:

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I see the NBA is doing 3 on 3 tournament this year also, which will be new for them.

Guess that's cool, should help their all star game too

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Fortunately, the Coyotes now have a chance to capitalize on all the feel good that has come from the John Scott story and should be able to leverage all that interest to draw some attention to them in the Arizona area where hockey struggles to get attention and...

Oh wait...Don Maloney is a ******* idiot. Nicely done, morons.

:laugh:

He must feel like the biggest idiot. The worst part is Scott still wanted to wear an Arizona jersey at the All-Star game and the league wouldn't let him.

Had to trade him so the "financials" would work. How about the financials from having the biggest name in hockey right now on your team?

It's so idiotic I almost can't even comprehend it. It would have been like the Sens sending Hammond to the AHL during the run last year.

edit: imagine how many Arizona John Scott jersey's would have been sold? It would have been a collectible item like the Scott All-Star jersey.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
John Scott has had plenty of opportunities in the NHL. There is a reason why everyone voted him in as a joke.

Like all fads, he'll be once again regarded as a scrub by next week.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1691975&highlight=john+scott

Look, no one thinks he is gonna be a regular shift guy, and not everyone voted him in because they thought it was a joke, that changed early on, he went legend on the weekend, and that isn't gonna change, that will be his legacy.

Last edited:

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Conspiracy theory:

The nhl knew what it was doing the whole time. Bettman was not expecting a plug like Scott to get so many votes but once he saw was going on he hatched a plan to get as many people talking about the controversy as possible. Have Scott traded and say he can't go only to change their minds after the outcry. Bettman made himself and the NHL the villains to obtain the max amount of viewers of the all Star game and get everyone talking about the NHL, especially during a slow part of the season.

NHL gets max viewers, and makes more money. John Scott wins a bunch of money, and gets his 15 minutes. Win - win.

And yes, I'm selling tin foil hats for $14.95 + shipping and handling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad