2016 ALCS: (2) Cleveland Indians vs (WC) Toronto Blue Jays ‎- Part 2

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Well for one, he's the source of the culture of whining that plagues the team. A ton of players on the team always seem to have an excuse, and it starts with him, because he's always the first one to whine.
I don't think he whines enough or does anything substantial to hold the Jays back. He's a perfectly fine manager who can run a decent bullpen and let the players run the room while also commanding respect. I don't think managers in general hurt or help teams that much in baseball. When teams have a really good or really crap one, you can see the positive or negative effects respectively. But Gibby is in the middle of the pack, maybe higher up for me. Doesn't affect the Jays W/L total very much.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I don't think he whines enough or does anything substantial to hold the Jays back. He's a perfectly fine manager who can run a decent bullpen and let the players run the room while also commanding respect. I don't think managers in general hurt or help teams that much in baseball. When teams have a really good or really crap one, you can see the positive or negative effects respectively. But Gibby is in the middle of the pack, maybe higher up for me. Doesn't affect the Jays W/L total very much.

I can't think of many managers who've been in a fist fight with their players or a manager stupid enough to let his bench clear at the end of the season for no reason and lost one of his top relievers due to injury as a result.

He's not the worst out there, but for me he is sub-par and there are better alternatives out there.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
J Bats helped revive interest in the team after they were pretty much Dormant from 2006-2010. He gave the team a franchise player/face after Halladay left and I think they will always be grateful for that. Heck, he popped 54 homers and lead the league in them back-to-back years.

Very good points.

It's really sad to see so many fans criticizing Joey Bats. It's as if people forget that a decade ago, the Blue Jays were one of the most irrelevant franchises in baseball.

Over the past few years I've seen Toronto Blue Jays gear everywhere, and I live in Montreal.

Jose Bautista gave renewed life to this franchise not unlike what Vince Carter did for the Raptors.

He was a superstar with supreme confidence who scared every opposing pitcher and was a homerun king. If he leaves, I'll surely miss him and I won't forget what he did for this franchise or take him for granted.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Very good points.

It's really sad to see so many fans criticizing Joey Bats. It's as if people forget that a decade ago, the Blue Jays were one of the most irrelevant franchises in baseball.

Over the past few years I've seen Toronto Blue Jays gear everywhere, and I live in Montreal.

Jose Bautista gave renewed life to this franchise not unlike what Vince Carter did for the Raptors.

He was a superstar with supreme confidence who scared every opposing pitcher and was a homerun king. If he leaves, I'll surely miss him and I won't take his place in this franchise for granted.

This is all true. Both sides may be better off if he leaves, however his place in Blue Jays history is well secure. He gave them a reason to watch during the dark years and he was a major part of the resurgence.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I can't think of many managers who've been in a fist fight with their players or a manager stupid enough to let his bench clear at the end of the season for no reason and lost one of his top relievers due to injury as a result.

He's not the worst out there, but for me he is sub-par and there are better alternatives out there.
Lol benches almost always clear for no reason. You mention that as if the Benoit injury was reasonably foreseeable. Are Bochy (Sabean?) and Roberts bad managers because their benches cleared after the Bumgarner/Puig nonsense? I would say no. The dugout isn't an elementary school classroom with the manager as the teacher. If a few guys get hot and want to get on the field, they will, and the rest will follow.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
This series is another proof of why baseball has to end the trend of juicers trying to get themselves a monster contract by hitting a HR instead of winning games.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Also since when do Home Runs not win games? :laugh: The Indians didn't out hit the Jays by much in the 5 games....You know what they did do though? Out home run the Jays. #Dongers

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gibbons is a fine manager who runs his pitching staff well and who the players seem to enjoy playing for.

He's not perfect but I'd be very disappointed if he was let go.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well for one, he's the source of the culture of whining that plagues the team. A ton of players on the team always seem to have an excuse, and it starts with him, because he's always the first one to whine.

This applies to a lot of managers. Bobby Cox created the most 'whiniest' clubhouse culture in baseball with the Braves. Though in the case of Gibbons I don't really seem him excusing his team when they lose. He just cites the game of baseball and the good and bad breaks that come with it.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I'll never go to the Trop unless it's essentially a free trip. Ie, I'm not paying to fly to Tampa and drive there.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Very good points.

He was a superstar with supreme confidence who scared every opposing pitcher and was a homerun king. If he leaves, I'll surely miss him and I won't forget what he did for this franchise or take him for granted.

I think the trade with the Marlins and then the Mets had more to do with rejuvenating the fan base than anything one single player was doing on the field

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I was disappointed with what I saw - or didn't see - from Gibbons this postseason

His team was struggling offensively, yet when the situation called for it, he didn't make the necessary adjustments to manufacture runs

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think the trade with the Marlins and then the Mets had more to do with rejuvenating the fan base than anything one single player was doing on the field

Those were both awful trades that left everybody disappointed in the end :laugh: There was brief excitement and then the team sucked.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I was disappointed with what I saw - or didn't see - from Gibbons this postseason

His team was struggling offensively, yet when the situation called for it, he didn't make the necessary adjustments to manufacture runs

No manager on earth would bunt with Jose Bautista.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
It's true. Nobody likes to root for LA when they're good.

Lakers - no need to explain. One of the most successful franchises in the NBA. Nobody wants them to succeed more. Well not right now, since these are their lean years.

Kings - at least from 2012-2015. They may have been respected but they sure as hell weren't liked by many. That starts from the antics of their Twitter handle.

Clippers - They are not well-liked around the league despite the fact that they haven't won anything.

Rams - St. Louis fans. Plus, people who don't think we deserve a football team because we have so many other things to do like going to the beach!

Dodgers - more people are rooting for us now because we're the underdogs against the Cubs. But I can assure you that the Dodgers are number 1 on the list of most hated teams of the other 4 NL West teams.

I never claimed that it's LA against the world but you'd have to be a ****ing idiot that LA teams are easy targets to hate if you're a neutral fan mainly because they all think the people of LA are just fairweather fans with no true loyalty.
The Ducks and Angels are LA teams according to Neilsen. So the Dodgers don't even have LA's most recent world series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad