Prospect Info: 2016 7th Round pick: 206th overall Otto Somppi

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is it just me or does anyone else suspect Al Murray has a thing for fun names?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Finally a high risk high reward pick. Al Murray lloves his 7th rounders. Now if he would have picked up Stransky as well that would have been awesome.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I see he was ranked at about 100th in most rakings but we got him as the 206th pick so based on that alone, it should be a good pick. What made him fall? I know nothing about this guy even if he's Finnish.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I see he was ranked at about 100th in most rakings but we got him as the 206th pick so based on that alone, it should be a good pick. What made him fall? I know nothing about this guy even if he's Finnish.
From Al Murray-
"Played with a bad shoulder all year in a brace for a bad team."

So the injury could be why the drop. He was an over a point per game player before he suffered that injury in November. It kept him out a month, but it seems to have effected him the rest of his season as well as put a halt to him adapting to the N.A. game while adjusting to his first season across the pond.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Anyone have a scouting report or assessment of this kid that they are willing to share with me?

I know next to nothing about this kid, but you guys' excitement is intriguing.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Your excitement has me excited. Last time I saw you guys talk about stealing a pick like this was Brayden Point in the 3rd round a couple years back.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Anyone have a scouting report or assessment of this kid that they are willing to share with me?

I know next to nothing about this kid, but you guys' excitement is intriguing.

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2016/5/24/11756466/otto-somppi-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...inka-memorial-tournament-otto-somppi-finland/'

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1312485-otto-somppi’s-time-to-shine-for-mooseheads

i have been watching maxime fortier this year 5'10 smaller guy with offensive upside he was undrafted which surprises me and is in montreal camp i had hoped he came to our camp so watched otto a bit not a ton but liked his play a lot and know he was a second rounder if didnt fall so us getting him in the 7th at 206 i believe? AMAZING for us again a hidden gem like palat. Has to be more consistent hit all the time but plays the game letting his defense and backchecking set up the offense and playmaking which i totally LOVE

he skates well to me so no concerns with that has to get stronger 2-3 years he should get a look for sure if avoids injury etc.. solid pick worst case 3rd liner or fourth line center but really feel this guy has second line ability cause was playing injured and still solid shows a lot of toughness grit etc.. hes good with stick for sure in corners would like more checking but again he was hurt. reminds me a ton of palat

p.s. look at the links the faceoff circle kid is unreal in faceoffs which is a PLUS

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Somppi was actually a bit frustrating to watch at times in Halifax this season. There would be these flashes of skill, and you'd start to get excited about him, but then he'd disappear for while. He had a bad habit of sticking too much to the perimeter at times.

However, it's the flashes of skill he showed that are most important. All of the negative things I just said about Somppi are what I also would have said about Timo Meier is his first year with Halifax. Some guys from Europe just don't adjust quite as fast as other when they come over to the CHL, and I think that's the case with Somppi(Injuries didn't help either). I expect to see him take a big step forward next year, as he's got the skill to be a top player in the Q. I think you guys will be very happy with him in a few years time, he's a great value pick for the 7th round.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2016/5/24/11756466/otto-somppi-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...inka-memorial-tournament-otto-somppi-finland/'

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1312485-otto-somppi’s-time-to-shine-for-mooseheads

i have been watching maxime fortier this year 5'10 smaller guy with offensive upside he was undrafted which surprises me and is in montreal camp i had hoped he came to our camp so watched otto a bit not a ton but liked his play a lot and know he was a second rounder if didnt fall so us getting him in the 7th at 206 i believe? AMAZING for us again a hidden gem like palat. Has to be more consistent hit all the time but plays the game letting his defense and backchecking set up the offense and playmaking which i totally LOVE

he skates well to me so no concerns with that has to get stronger 2-3 years he should get a look for sure if avoids injury etc.. solid pick worst case 3rd liner or fourth line center but really feel this guy has second line ability cause was playing injured and still solid shows a lot of toughness grit etc.. hes good with stick for sure in corners would like more checking but again he was hurt. reminds me a ton of palat

p.s. look at the links the faceoff circle kid is unreal in faceoffs which is a PLUS

Gracias amigo, you da man!

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
If his game transfers to the big leagues, he has the potential to be an incredible steal at 206th. As noted, he played injured on pretty close to the bottom team of the CHL last year. If we are drawing parallels, Timo Meier was all but invisible in his first season on a pretty damn good team (Drouin, Ehlers).

Hali is going to have an exciting young talented team this season. Should be interesting to see how Somppi fits into that.

You guys got a real gem this late. He'll be Halifax's best player this year.

I like Somppi a lot but I don't think this is a given by any means. Happy to be proven wrong though, but for sure I think he is going to surprise a lot of people this season.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Well he had to pick a corner. Hedman couldn't hit a wide open net in the All Stars skills competition.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Pretty embarrassing to miss still, but it's not like it's a secret he has no accuracy with his shot.

I don't remember laughing that much since I told my friend who I was watching it with as that Hedman's going to miss the net. I said it maybe 50/50 as a joke and seriously. But oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad