Speculation: 2016-2017 Season Roster Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd be happy with 3 at 15 but I doubt he signs that deal. You know there will be a team stupid enough to give him at least 5 at 25. I don't think it would be smart for him to sign anything less than that before testing FA either.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I always think back to a comment made by Maloney on XM where he made a off-hand positive comment about Ryan's play after his 50 point campaign about how he was developing. Everyone knows I've long believed we drafted by positional need (although a year and a half later Strome is viewed as a top 5 prospect so he's hardly chopped liver) and I've always wondered how much that 50 point campaign influenced their decision to prioritize Dylan.

That being said what I've enjoyed in the handful of games with Burmistrov is how much our center depth has improved and how much better this team is when their C's are properly slotted. It's why I'm in the re-sign Hanzal camp because I'm not anxious to repeat the **** show we've had at C this year and I'd prefer to have an AHL option. If we move Hanzal we need C depth and why I despise the sibling angle I get a desire to add depth at C. At the price of Duclair who offers overall speed that we still lack as a franchise and more importantly removing a player that has outstanding chemistry with our only legitimate offensive threat in Domi? Yikes. I guess we'll find out how much Tippett hates Duclair if he's moved.

I would like to keep Hanzal. I don't think DT hates the Duke at all, or he would have been in the A much sooner.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
3 years @ $5.5M. I pay a little mor $ to get shorter term.

That's basically where I'm at. Also agree with Remo that there is little incentive to not test UFA. And if he's not signed he needs to move at the TDL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
3 years @ $5.5M. I pay a little mor $ to get shorter term.

3 yrs. with a team option for an extension. I just would not pay him what some of you guys are posting. With Hanzal his value is more than just points, but his health I would think lowers his value considerably, unless the club has evidence his back is fine. Last year I said we need someone to take some of the heavy minutes from Hanzal but that has not happened, in fact with Richardson going down, the opposite has happened. Maybe do a contract with built in incentives. He was in his prime when he signed his last contract and now he will be trending downward. I say $4.75 per year for 3 yrs.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't like how Hanzal is in and out of the lineup. For 50% of the games he plays, he's not 100%. Trade him but re-sign him in the summer if we can't get anything else done at center. Make him a Plan B or C.

Burmistrov has looked good so far but let's see how he does down the stretch. Is he nearly as effective next season if he's playing 3C or 4C? Is he willing to take a two-way deal?

Ryan Strome is a right-handed C which is nice to have but I think he's more of a RW. Could still use him in both if needed. Plus a natural right-handed RW is nice.

Still need to fix the center position. If we don't, next season will be a repeat of this year. At minimum a 2C must be our top offseason priority.

Maybe x-Dvorak-Burmistrov-Richardson next season? Strome in the A.

Chayka has mentioned on multiple occasions how he is looking to take advantage of the Vegas situation. I think that's how we'll find our center.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't like how Hanzal is in and out of the lineup. For 50% of the games he plays, he's not 100%. Trade him but re-sign him in the summer if we can't get anything else done at center. Make him a Plan B or C.

Burmistrov has looked good so far but let's see how he does down the stretch. Is he nearly as effective next season if he's playing 3C or 4C? Is he willing to take a two-way deal?

Ryan Strome is a right-handed C which is nice to have but I think he's more of a RW. Could still use him in both if needed. Plus a natural right-handed RW is nice.

Still need to fix the center position. If we don't, next season will be a repeat of this year. At minimum a 2C must be our top offseason priority.

Maybe x-Dvorak-Burmistrov-Richardson next season? Strome in the A.

Chayka has mentioned on multiple occasions how he is looking to take advantage of the Vegas situation. I think that's how we'll find our center.

We have cap room to spare so paying up a little doesn't concern me.

Here's my protected list today:

Martinook
Reider
Burmistrov
Duclair
OEL
Goligoski
Murphy
Schenn
Smith

Drop Schenn from list and we can protect additional 3 forward assets. We have several spots with upgrade potential considering Burmistrov was a waiver wire fodder six games ago.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Do you take any of:

1yrs 06m
2yrs 11m
3yrs 15m
4yrs 18m
5yrs 20m
The first one I'd do immediately, the second probably. 3 years, eh. Depends on what contracts we have coming off and who we'll need to resign. After 3 hell no. I think he's gone because he'll get a better offer. Unless we resign him before the TDL I'd ship him out and try to resign him in the off-season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Say it's two weeks before the deadline and you're pretty sure the Hanzal camp will sign a 3yrs 17mil 5.67avg extension. But you very much doubt they'll go lower.

You're also pretty confident you can get a very late '17 1st, a C- prospect, and an '18 4th rounder in a trade with a contender, if you're willing to retain some salary. But you very much doubt you'll do better.

There's also very little chance, you suspect based on conversations with the agent, that you can trade Hanzal and expect him to come back.

Which of the two options on the table do you choose?

A) Re-sign him for 3yrs, 17mil

B) Retain salary and trade him for a '17 1st (26-31), '18 4th, and C- prospect (lose Hanzal forever)

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Scenario B) is my choice. However I'd extend him for either 1 or 2 years at the rates at the top of the page if either of those options were available. One thing to keep in mind is that if you can extend him to a reasonable contract, you can still trade him for picks a year from now.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Reluctantly A if the 3 year deal is a guarantee. If you could switch the first with a closer to NHL ready prospect I'd do B.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Tough call. Three years is longer than I'd like, but that's not a great return. I guess if you believe Burmistov Dvorak and Richardson will be back next year, and either Strome or another C available through trade or free agency can step in even with the sub par return you take it. A lot of it depends on how much faith you'd have in our current C depth, and/or what's going to be out there in the market.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Do you take any of:

1yrs 06m
2yrs 11m
3yrs 15m
4yrs 18m
5yrs 20m

From Hanzal's perspective, this is the only time he has leverage. His injury history taints his leverage and his value more than a little bit. The other question is his injuries this year. Are they nagging and not related to his lower back. If they are lower back related, his value and term will be less with any team. We just don't know this year the extent of his injuries, so hard to say.

Does Hanzal want to stay in Phoenix or is he sick of losing, sick of the coach, hates the area, whatever, again we don't know. Assuming he likes it here and wants to stay, I think the most important number for him will be total dollars. Assuming his back is considered healed, I could see a 4 or 5 year deal in the 4-5 mill range. At 5 mill or more, I see a shorter term he won't want to accept.

I think we should sign him if he wants to stay here, get it figured out. He is our only legitimate 2C. Without him, we have zero 1C's or 2C's. Both will be expensive to get and/or have warts(Ribs). Betting on DVO/Strome/Keller to turn into 1C/2c's is a big gamble. If one of the three is ever a 1C or 2C, I would be stoked.

Last point is to sign him before the TDL or trade him. If we trade him, he should be gone for good. The strategy of trade him now and sign later as a UFA has not worked well for us. If he is staying, sign him. Make your choice now.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Say it's two weeks before the deadline and you're pretty sure the Hanzal camp will sign a 3yrs 17mil 5.67avg extension. But you very much doubt they'll go lower.

You're also pretty confident you can get a very late '17 1st, a C- prospect, and an '18 4th rounder in a trade with a contender, if you're willing to retain some salary. But you very much doubt you'll do better.

There's also very little chance, you suspect based on conversations with the agent, that you can trade Hanzal and expect him to come back.

Which of the two options on the table do you choose?

A) Re-sign him for 3yrs, 17mil

B) Retain salary and trade him for a '17 1st (26-31), '18 4th, and C- prospect (lose Hanzal forever)

A Without any doubt. As our depth at center improves we'll see a better/healthier Hanzal due to reduction in work load.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Do you take any of:

1yrs 06m
2yrs 11m
3yrs 15m
4yrs 18m
5yrs 20m

This offseason we're going to struggle to get to the floor. We have a lot coming off the books with Doan, Pronger, and Datsyuks contracts coming off the books. And our two notable RFAs will likely only cost 3m combined, Duke and Nook.

Next year we'll have Domi and Rieder to resign, no one else notable.

The year after that we're going to have to resign OEL, Crouse, Perlini, Fischer, Dvorak, and Chychrun. We also get rid of Smiths contract. We'll also probably/hopefully be giving Duclair a raise during this time.

I'd overpay by a lot for 2 yrs of Hanzal. 2/12.5m is as high I'd go. For 3 years I'd be fine with 3/17m if the salary is front loaded. I might even do 4 years at 5m cap hit, if the salary is front loaded. I don't see us being a cap team for the next 4 years so that part doesn't really matter.

6.25m
6.25m
3.75m
3.75m

I'd be fine with a deal with breakdown, maybe make some of it bonus incentive for GP.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
18 X 4 = $4.5M per

He can have a limited NTC for year 1 and 2, but years 3 & 4 should be completely open. Should probably also front load the deal to leave budget space down the road and make the contract more attractive for the eventual trade.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If his camp starts negotiations at 4yrs, 20mil do you bother countering before you trade him?

Hopefully the organization learned their lesson when they didn't bother to offer Vrbata any contract until right before he hit UFA. I think it'd be insulting to not offer him anything, so in the interest of not furthering the "cutthroat organization" narrative, at least make an offer to Hanzal.

I think we'll trade for Ryan Strome.

Ryan Strome is fast approaching spare part territory. If it happens, it had better be for something small.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hopefully the organization learned their lesson when they didn't bother to offer Vrbata any contract until right before he hit UFA. I think it'd be insulting to not offer him anything, so in the interest of not furthering the "cutthroat organization" narrative, at least make an offer to Hanzal.

Ryan Strome is fast approaching spare part territory. If it happens, it had better be for something small.

Strome for Stone?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
This team really needs Dylan Strome to be what he can be. Having older bro around might help or hurt. Not worth the risk. I'm not the first to express this opinion today.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Strome for Stone?

Strome isn't very interesting apart from his last name.

The only young player I'd really be looking to pick off right now is Virtanen and/or McCarron.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think Ryan Strome would be a good pickup. Right handed, can play center or right wing, both of which are a need next year. He's put up a 50 point season before, he's only 23, and his contract will be $3M to his $2.5M cap hit. He should be hungry and motivated and I don't think it would be a problem to put brothers together.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think Ryan Strome would be a good pickup. Right handed, can play center or right wing, both of which are a need next year. He's put up a 50 point season before, he's only 23, and his contract will be $3M to his $2.5M cap hit. He should be hungry and motivated and I don't think it would be a problem to put brothers together.

How does he get along with his brother? If they chafe each other its not worth it. If they get along well it might help Dylan.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I almost feel like the rumblings in NYI with Strome there was something to it. I also almost feel like we were at the forefront of getting him. Still might happen. Might have to take on a crummy contract next year, but hey who knows. Still a few years away until we have to stress about the raises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad