Line Combos: 2016-2017 Kings Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
How is this even a question? Budaj is the co-team MVP right now with Carter. Why the **** would you keep Zatkoff on the roster and send Budaj down?

Read my post that is the only reason.
It's all about the expansion draft. We MUST have a goalie on contract to expose or face sanctions. Don't think that if another team has a spot and can put another team in a bind they won't do it.
And right now Campbell and Zatkoff are the only two that can be exposed. One is a reclamation project the other is a throw away for the draft. Unless we can get another goalie signed and under contract for next year Zatkoff stays up most likely.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
is Zatkoff part of a union or something???

Sort of, yeah.

this is why i'm really struggling with the fact that Zatkoff is still on our roster

but guys like Halak & Hammond were given the axe

why are we clinging onto a guy that has no business in the NHL? He's stealing a job from an actual professional

They're not taking on more cap space. Quick is coming back at some point, whether this year or in October. He's making $6m. They have to sign other guys. They certainly can't spend too much on a backup.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Read my post that is the only reason.
It's all about the expansion draft. We MUST have a goalie on contract to expose or face sanctions. Don't think that if another team has a spot and can put another team in a bind they won't do it.
And right now Campbell and Zatkoff are the only two that can be exposed. One is a reclamation project the other is a throw away for the draft. Unless we can get another goalie signed and under contract for next year Zatkoff stays up most likely.

I doubt anyone would take Zatkoff on waivers. If anyone did, they do have Campbell to expose, and if all else fails, give Budaj a new contract before the draft.

If or when Quick comes back this year, Budaj has played his way into the backup role.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Sort of, yeah.

They're not taking on more cap space. Quick is coming back at some point, whether this year or in October. He's making $6m. They have to sign other guys. They certainly can't spend too much on a backup.

what i meant by Halak & Hammond was that even goalies that established themselves were eventually let go

what's this fascination with Zatkoff that we can't try other things?

Tokarski or some other bozo, or even I, wouldn't cost more than $750k

i'm not talking about finding an elite goalie

i'm fine with Budaj

someone below him, LIKE ME!!! would be good

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Las Vegas will be able to select a far more established goalie than Campbell. If the penalty for not having Zatkoff on the roster is exposing Campbell I'd be 100% okay with that.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I just never thought in a million years we'd be getting as much as we have from Budaj so it's a shame our scoring woes are back though some of those are obviously due to injuries as well--not including those that Sutter alluded to but we aren't sure about (Drew was banged up confirmed, we think Muzzin is injured, Toffoli, Kopi's arm, etc.). We really just need full health. We're not a deep enough team offensively to be losing any power from our top guys, but there's really nothing DL can do but play out the string. I'm proud of our bottom six for their responses and of Carter for beasting out (and Martinez to a degree) but their role is as energy and possession--they're killing it there but can only do so much lifting. The rest is busted in Kopitar's arm right now.

Now that the schedule will ease up for the bit I'm still hoping for the best and I'm sticking with my predictions and I 100% believe this is a playoff team in the end. I have to believe that some of our luck is going to break right--I mean, look at some of the poor luck Kopitar has had lately vs., say, Cam Atkinson banking pucks off three dudes and in.

The Red Wings game had nothing to do with any of the above, though. It was just the latest in a series of disappointing games vs. opponents low in the standings who of course start showing signs of life vs. us while we're unprepared.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
What's the status on Nikolai Prokhorkin? I know he said he would play for the Kings only if he was guaranteed a roster spot. If still possible, why not give him a shot?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
What's the status on Nikolai Prokhorkin? I know he said he would play for the Kings only if he was guaranteed a roster spot. If still possible, why not give him a shot?

Indias-Dinesh-with-his-straws-trick-on-Planets-Got-Talent.jpg

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

He resigned a three year deal with with his KHL club, one of the higher paid players on the team, he has no ambition to play in the NHL.

His entire career, he has used the threat of leaving to NA, to get his contract demands met by his KHL club.

Right now he is sitting at 8 points in 31GP, terrible.

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL · 5h5 hours ago

FWIW - following Kings prospects are exempt from expansion draft:
Kempe
Brodzinski
Amadio
Lowry
LaDue
Lintuniemi
Gravel
Sharpie
Leslie

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Ladeskog is probably available.

Kings LW depth: Pearson/King/Clifford/Andy... Gaborik/Brown/Lewis can play off side.

Would Lombardi be interested?

What would Lombardi throw at it?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I'm wondering if Gabby doesn't start putting up points, if Lombardi would Lecavalier him. DL is loyal to his guys and I don't think we've seen that ruthless side for a while (the last I can think of is when he moved visnovsky just before his NTC kicked in) Does he have the stones to bully Gabby into retiring? Or even Brown I suppose. It would absolutely **** on the room but it could be a possibility if the guys decline much more. The caps a *****

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Ladeskog is probably available.

Kings LW depth: Pearson/King/Clifford/Andy... Gaborik/Brown/Lewis can play off side.

Would Lombardi be interested?

What would Lombardi throw at it?

There was an article on NESN a few days ago speaking to the fact that the Bruins had inquired on Landeskog and the package coming back to Colorado would have to include Brandon Carlo, the Bruins very impressive , 6'5" 20 year old defenseman (and the games I've seen, he's been very impressive) The Bruins declined and that ended that.
I'm not sure the Kings have a package that would fill that bill, and not sure Sakic will trade him just yet. Landy has missed a bit of time this year for 'lower body injury".
Love his game, and loaded with leadership, 4 more years at 5.5.
I think Duchene will get moved first. Even heard that the Avs are getting calls on Tyson Barrie. Love his game too and contract

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
There was an article on NESN a few days ago speaking to the fact that the Bruins had inquired on Landeskog and the package coming back to Colorado would have to include Brandon Carlo, the Bruins very impressive , 6'5" 20 year old defenseman (and the games I've seen, he's been very impressive) The Bruins declined and that ended that.
I'm not sure the Kings have a package that would fill that bill, and not sure Sakic will trade him just yet. Landy has missed a bit of time this year for 'lower body injury".
Love his game, and loaded with leadership, 4 more years at 5.5.
I think Duchene will get moved first. Even heard that the Avs are getting calls on Tyson Barrie. Love his game too and contract

Not sure I'm sold on Barrie playing for Sutter. Sutter would be popping antacids non stop on the bench watching him play. Other then that it'd be a great fit.

Comes down to what sort of time line the Avs are looking at. Do they want to fix the defense now, or trade for prospects to fix it in a couple of years.

We all saw how nice it was to have another top6 forward in the group. Probably don't have the assets to pull it off.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I just never thought in a million years we'd be getting as much as we have from Budaj so it's a shame our scoring woes are back though some of those are obviously due to injuries as well--not including those that Sutter alluded to but we aren't sure about (Drew was banged up confirmed, we think Muzzin is injured, Toffoli, Kopi's arm, etc.). We really just need full health. We're not a deep enough team offensively to be losing any power from our top guys, but there's really nothing DL can do but play out the string. I'm proud of our bottom six for their responses and of Carter for beasting out (and Martinez to a degree) but their role is as energy and possession--they're killing it there but can only do so much lifting. The rest is busted in Kopitar's arm right now.

Now that the schedule will ease up for the bit I'm still hoping for the best and I'm sticking with my predictions and I 100% believe this is a playoff team in the end. I have to believe that some of our luck is going to break right--I mean, look at some of the poor luck Kopitar has had lately vs., say, Cam Atkinson banking pucks off three dudes and in.

The Red Wings game had nothing to do with any of the above, though. It was just the latest in a series of disappointing games vs. opponents low in the standings who of course start showing signs of life vs. us while we're unprepared.

So who does that fall on, the coaches or the players not being ready to play a last place team? They looked like this was game 1 of the preseason from the drop of the puck last night.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Not sure I'm sold on Barrie playing for Sutter. Sutter would be popping antacids non stop on the bench watching him play. Other then that it'd be a great fit.

Comes down to what sort of time line the Avs are looking at. Do they want to fix the defense now, or trade for prospects to fix it in a couple of years.

We all saw how nice it was to have another top6 forward in the group. Probably don't have the assets to pull it off.

I doubt the Kings have anything to offer. Muzzin and Martinez are too old for their liking. I'd be pretty afraid of Anaheim acquiring Duchene or Landeskog after the expansion draft. They have too many good young d-men. Couldn't believe it when I saw Fowler is still 25 years old. Avs are waiting for the Ducks to offer Fowler + or Winnipeg to offer Trouba.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
So who does that fall on, the coaches or the players not being ready to play a last place team? They looked like this was game 1 of the preseason from the drop of the puck last night.

The goal on Det's first shot of the game didn't help.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I doubt the Kings have anything to offer. Muzzin and Martinez are too old for their liking. I'd be pretty afraid of Anaheim acquiring Duchene or Landeskog after the expansion draft. They have too many good young d-men. Couldn't believe it when I saw Fowler is still 25 years old. Avs are waiting for the Ducks to offer Fowler + or Winnipeg to offer Trouba.

That would be an intra-division trade. Don't see WPG going for it.

Ducks would be a good fit. They need help up front and have lots of D.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

Good point. Didn't really thing of that. Winnipeg doesn't necessarily need another forward either.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm wondering if Gabby doesn't start putting up points, if Lombardi would Lecavalier him. DL is loyal to his guys and I don't think we've seen that ruthless side for a while (the last I can think of is when he moved visnovsky just before his NTC kicked in) Does he have the stones to bully Gabby into retiring? Or even Brown I suppose. It would absolutely **** on the room but it could be a possibility if the guys decline much more. The caps a *****

Maybe if they make them sit every night, even when healthy, like the Flyers did last year. Plus Lecavalier has all that Tampa Bay buyout money, which made his choice a little easier. So I'd guess no, Gaborik and Brown won't be, and couldn't be, bullied into retiring.

Trap games do exist. It happens to every team, in every sport. Not that the Detroit game has been the only game where the Kings looked disinterested. Not that it's just been this season either. That happened in both Cup years. The Kings went 6 games with 3 total goals, all by Kopitar, in January of 2014 too.

The players are grown men. There's only so much rah-rah stuff that's going to work. If they're not mentally into a particular game, what is Sutter supposed to do? Maybe decrease ice time? Right now, it might help the team if the KGB line played fewer minutes, so not sure that's a punishment.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC

With the Ucks' internal cap, I doubt they can afford to pick him up unless significant contract $$ are going the other way. Also doubt the Avs want those types of players while they're in a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad