Status
Not open for further replies.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I think they are misinterpreting the law. Because once you sign a second contract it's a new contract not a continuation of the last one.
But I can't see any athletes doing this. They would be setting themselves up in a big way.
That's the way California courts have interpreted the provision. From the original Fangraphs article:

The potential impact of Section 2855 is much broader than just long-term deals signed by free-agent players, however. Perhaps most significantly, California courts have applied the provision to cases in which an employee was bound by a series of one-year renewable option contracts cumulatively extending eight or more years. Put differently, Section 2855 does not just apply to a single contract lasting more than seven years, but applies whenever an employer has a contractual right to its worker’s services for a total of eight or more years, even if transpiring under a series of multiple contracts.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
An option is the continuation of an existing contract not a new contract. That's the difference.
I understand that, but the more general and important point is that California is an incredibly employee-friendly state. If a California court applies the principle to option contracts, I highly doubt subsequents contract with the same employer would be viewed much differently, especially in the context of how sports contracts and years of team control work.

DOSKI

Apr 24, 2016
An option is the continuation of an existing contract not a new contract. That's the difference.

I believe the key word is "employment" rather than contract(s).

Think this clause was created in the aftermath of "Child Labor Laws" and specifically with regard to entertainment industry contractual practices. Kids (and talent in general) were getting signed to contracts that were effectively lifetime - before their real economic value was measured; and more importantly, before they could make adult decisions about their careers and lives. Same thing has already been applied to musicians and actors.

quote from the article:
It’s not even about the contract alone. Section 2855 applies “whenever an employer has a contractual right to its worker’s services for a total of eight or more years, even if transpiring under a series of multiple contracts,” according to Fangraphs.

Last edited:

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I'm sure Sutter is trying to get Kopitar going, he really needs to if we're going to have any success this year. I wish they'd call up Brodzinski from the A, he deserves a shot.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
i still don't understand any logic behind keeping Zatkoff rather than going for guys like Condon, Tokarski, Empty Net, etc

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
i still don't understand any logic behind keeping Zatkoff rather than going for guys like Condon, Tokarski, Empty Net, etc

When Quick comes back, who goes down, Budaj or Zatkoff? Campbell is getting some good development in being the #1, going 11-1-1 in the last 13 games. Do you make Budaj the Reign back-up or stagnate Jack Campbell's development? We'll have too many goalies when Quick is back.

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
the only STAT that matters for goalies (not talking about intangibles), is SV%

Campbell's SV% in the AHL is horrid

i doubt this guy can sustain the NHL

regardless, Zatkoff is not a goalie

so that answers that question

of course we keep Budaj, it would be sane not to

doesn't change the fact that we need a guy like Tokarski to backup Budaj

until Quick comes back (IF IF IF IF IF IF)

and because of those 5 IFs

id rather be stuck with "too many goalies" than a Budaj/Zatkoff for an entire season.

and i don't care about getting a higher pick, it shouldn't come at the cost of entertainment

nobody in LA is interested (even the players) in a game where Zatkoff is the starter

it's just dead atmosphere

that is very bad for business

this is why i'm really struggling with the fact that Zatkoff is still on our roster

but guys like Halak & Hammond were given the axe

is Zatkoff part of a union or something???

why are we clinging onto a guy that has no business in the NHL? He's stealing a job from an actual professional

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
When Quick comes back, who goes down, Budaj or Zatkoff? Campbell is getting some good development in being the #1, going 11-1-1 in the last 13 games. Do you make Budaj the Reign back-up or stagnate Jack Campbell's development? We'll have too many goalies when Quick is back.

Zatkoff doesn't go down as much as Budaj should stay up he's gong down. Zatkoff is the goalie we have signed to expose legally under the expansion draft rules.
Otherwise if he was claimed we'd have to expose Campbell.
And don't think that teams don't know this and might claim just for that reason if they could.
Or we have to get someone signed to expose. Which could happen with Budaj.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Zatkoff doesn't go down as much as Budaj should stay up he's gong down. Zatkoff is the goalie we have signed to expose legally under the expansion draft rules.
Otherwise if he was claimed we'd have to expose Campbell.
And don't think that teams don't know this and might claim just for that reason if they could.
Or we have to get someone signed to expose. Which could happen with Budaj.

I'm guessing that we'll hear in a few weeks a contract extension for Budaj. He's earned it, based on his play this year

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

How is that even a debate? You send Zatkoff down and keep Budaj as Quick's backup. Zatkoff is not even an NHL caliber 3rd string goalie - he is just awful, while Budaj has been a solid backup.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I'd take Rick Knickle over Jeff Zatkoff. Might be the most incapable goalie I've seen in the Kings' crease since David Goverde.

Daniel Berthiaume
Mario Gosselin (think Mario is the name)

were garbage too

Dan Cloutier? but I guess he was, at least, an actual goalie

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

First off it better be Zatkoff going to Ontario as we can all see Budaj is the far better goalie between those two.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

How is this even a question? Budaj is the co-team MVP right now with Carter. Why the **** would you keep Zatkoff on the roster and send Budaj down?

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Fiset and Jamie Storr were better than Zatkoff, and that was one of the worst goalie tandems we had in the dark era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad