Line Combos: 2016/2017 Colorado Avalanche Defence

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Does this season have the potential to be a disaster on the back end?

Going through the depth chart, there are just a ton of question marks.

Erik Johnson- How many games is he going to miss?
Francois Beauchemin- How many games before he is completely worn down?
Tyson Barrie- Is he even going to be in Colorado?
Nikita Zadorov- Top-4 guy yet? Potential roller coaster play?
Fedor Tyutin- Bought out by Columbus, another guy who has had some injury troubles, and whose production has completely tailed off almost to nothing.
Eric Gelinas- Do the Avs get the guy who almost hit 30 points, or do they get the one who looked absolutely terrible before having his arm destroyed?
Patrick Wiercioch- Similar to Gelinas, has had seasons of 30+ point per games, but somewhere completely fell off a cliff.
Chris Bigras- Probably starting in the AHL.

Beyond the questions tied to each player, how does this group even fit together?
-There is really no good partner for Barrie.
-Zadorov looked like a capable NHL player, but only with Beauchemin next to him.
-Gelinas and Wiercioch are very similar players, and yet the way the lineup falls it looks like one will have to play with Barrie.
-In addition to all this, everyone on the team is left handed except Johnson and Barrie.

Beauchemin-Johnson
Gelinas-Barrie
Zadorov-Tyutin

I think Gelinas starts over Wiercioch, simply due to the fact the Avs traded for Gelinas. Can only imagine Tyutin was brought in to mentor Zadorov. And Beauchemin is the only player capable of taking top competition with Johnson.

What is the opinion on this back end? Who pairs with who? Who should pair with who?

Side note: I don't think its all bad. Five players under the age of 25. All pretty large players. More potential for puck moving. No Holden/Guenin/Stuart. Very excited to watch Zadorov develop. Hoping for All star seasons for Barrie and Johnson again.

Last edited:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
heres what id like to see for the first couple games:

Zads-Johnson​
Beauchemin-Barrie
Tyutin-Weircoch​

if zads can't handle big minutes yet, double shift barrie every once in a while on the top line

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Zadorov is going into his 4th season post draft. EJ was traded to the Avs in his 4th post draft year.

Hard to believe how much expectations were placed on Johnson. It would seem crazy at Zadorov's age now to expect him to anchor a blueline.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I worry about Beauchemin. We still need him to log heavy minutes. One day soon he won't be able to anymore. I hope hat isn't this year. We really need him this year.

I like the rest of the group. Barrie will continue to Barrie. I like Zadorov a lot more than whoever he's replacing in last years lineup. I think Tyutin will be an upgrade over Holden. And I like that the last spot will have to be earned this year. Bigras will make a push for it in camp. Weircioch or Gelinas will have to prove to be actually capable defenders to take it from him.

I'm cautiously optimistic. A lot rides on Zads and Beauch. Hope they can handle it.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I agree with Avs71's pairings to start, but I think there will be a revolving door of combinations. I think Weir will be a slightly better Redmond and Tyutin will be attached to Zads for most of the season (often as the 2nd pairing). Finding the Barrie partner will again be the biggest challenge unless Beauch fills that role and someone surprises us by being a fit with EJ.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Beauchemin-Johnson
Tyutin-Barrie
Zadorov-Wiercioch/Gelinas/Bigras

Top pairing stays the same as last year but the minutes are reduced. To me Tyutin as the stay-at-home D is the best fit for Barrie. Final pairing is anchored by Z and the remaining 3 compete "Thunder Dome" style for the RD spot.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What should happen,

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - Tyutin
Bigras - FB

What will,

FB - EJ
Zadorov - Tyutin
Bigras - Barrie

I don't think anyone is accounting for any physical development from Bigras, who has the same trainer as Duchene. Based on what Bigras has already done in the NHL, there is no question in my mind that he beats out Gelinas and Weirdo for the 6th spot. Roy will not put up with questionable play to start the season, and he already trusts Bigras. Something neither of Gelinas or Weirdo have earned yet. People are assuming they are above Bigras simply because they are new signings and are older. Bigras was the kid babysitting guys like Gelinas and Weirdo when our defense was at it's best last season.

This is the same kid that went something like 15 of his first NHL games without being on the ice for a goal against while also playing with a rotation of Redmond, and Bodychuck. He didn't struggle until after his injury, and having been thrown onto the top pairing with EJ.

If there is even a chance he goes to the AHL, I think he removes it from the equation with his play in camp.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I like the new additions, particularly Tyutin. Replacing Holden with him should give us better DZ play. But for the most part we are talking minor moves. If the D is going to step up it's game then we are going to need consistency from EJ and Beauch. Bigras and Zadorov will probably need to step up as well.

Draisaitl

Dude, where's Makar?
Oct 18, 2013
Berlin
giphy.com
What I'd like:

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - Beauchemin
Bigras - Tyutin
Weirdcock

or

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - Tyutin
Bigras - Beauchemin
Weirdcock

As I know our organisation we're likely gonna end up with this:

Beauchemin - EJ
Weirdcock - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin
Bigras

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thinking about the d pairs makes my head hurt. Because it's true, there's no obvious partner for Barrie. I don't think he's going to play next to EJ. I do think Bigras is favored over Gelinas and Wiercoich but if he's not going to play every night then he probably will go to the AHL. I think the other two will get a shot but might have to wait their turn. Tyutin seems like he was brought in for Zadorov but wouldn't shock me if they stuck him by EJ, but then Z is likely with Beauch again. I'd love to see Bigras with Barrie, I really like them together and their fancy stats back it up, although limited. I don't think Roy goes there out of the gate. This is the problem with making Barrie our highest paid D, he's not going to play on the top pair take on me of the kids. What are they going to do with him?

Opening night I'll go with

Beauch - EJ
Gelinas - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin

Eventually I hope for

Zadorov - EJ
Bigras - Barrie
Gelinas/Wiercoich/Tyutin/Beauch

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Beauchemin - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Tyutin - Gelinas
Wiercioch

My prediction.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Thinking about the d pairs makes my head hurt. Because it's true, there's no obvious partner for Barrie. I don't think he's going to play next to EJ. I do think Bigras is favored over Gelinas and Wiercoich but if he's not going to play every night then he probably will go to the AHL. I think the other two will get a shot but might have to wait their turn. Tyutin seems like he was brought in for Zadorov but wouldn't shock me if they stuck him by EJ, but then Z is likely with Beauch again. I'd love to see Bigras with Barrie, I really like them together and their fancy stats back it up, although limited. I don't think Roy goes there out of the gate. This is the problem with making Barrie our highest paid D, he's not going to play on the top pair take on me of the kids. What are they going to do with him?

Beauch - EJ
Gelinas - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin

Eventually I hope for

Zadorov - EJ
Bigras - Barrie

I think Roy might give Bigras another chance next to Barrie if hes shown to have gained some more strength. He wasn't soft like Redmond, but it wasn't a strength either.

Nothing that another off-season of physical development couldn't cure. As it's not like he was adverse to contact, and hes not small.

The only thing that gives me hope Roy might try Barrie next to EJ, is that Roy did it on a few occasions down the stretch last season. So he might be more willing to try it now having two older mentors for the Bigras and Zadorov.

I do also think Roy sees the value in giving EJ and FB partners who can skate and retrieve pucks as well. Not only did Bigras earn enough trust from Roy to even be given a shot next to EJ, but it accomplished that skating offset that I believe was needed.

So there are some signs that point to Barrie getting a shot next to EJ at 5v5, even if it's reaching a bit to expect it. It just solves so many problems IMO.

Edit: I'd be calling Zadorov next to EJ, but I'm not sure EJ has the ability to perform well himself, and worry about mentoring Zadorov defensively. Who knows though, I could be completely wrong. That would also free up FB to be played with Barrie on the second pairing.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Beauch - EJ
Gelinas - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin

Eventually I hope for

Zadorov - EJ
Bigras - Barrie

We should be worried if Zads/Bogra can;t beat Gelinas for a top 4 spot.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Beauchemin-Johnson
Tyutin-Barrie
Zadorov-Wiercioch/Gelinas/Bigras

Top pairing stays the same as last year but the minutes are reduced. To me Tyutin as the stay-at-home D is the best fit for Barrie. Final pairing is anchored by Z and the remaining 3 compete "Thunder Dome" style for the RD spot.

the problem i see with this is that johnson needs to be playing HUGE minutes, which is why the beauch ej pairing needs to be split up

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm not entirely convinced Barrie stays in the top 4 under this scenario either (and it has nothing to do with Frei's stupid comments). Z is gong to get his minutes most nights. Like I said, I'm not really getting how they want this D to work.
Feeling the same way. It is so hard to make the starting lineup with this group and in my mind it is because of Barrie. It is very hard to sort out the top-4 with him in the lineup. On paper the best I can come up with is:

Zad - EJ
Beauch - Barrie
Bigras - Tyutin

However Zad is not ready for that role yet. So what I would like to see to start the season is:

Barrie - EJ
Zad - Beauch
Bigras - Tyutin

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Zadorov and Barrie... that's a train wreck waiting to happen. I think zadorov needs more development and pairing him with FB is the best way to do it.

Tyutin will have a similar effect as Beauch in that regard. While he may not be as good as Beauch anymore, Tyutin still knows and thinks the game at a top level. Either of them being paired with Zads will be a good thing

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm not entirely convinced Barrie stays in the top 4 under this scenario either (and it has nothing to do with Frei's stupid comments). Z is gong to get his minutes most nights. Like I said, I'm not really getting how they want this D to work.

I don''t think they even know how it's going to work. Barrie should be 2nd with most ice time. Regardless, of the "pairing" he's on.

I won't be surprised if a lot of pairings are tried in camp and preseason, so I'm not even going to try to predict right now.

Pretty much, even the top 6 it's too early to tell.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I foresee Zads - Tyutin getting DZone starts and Barrie-whoever will get OZone starts, and minutes will be more evenly distributed between all the pairings overall. Not having 8 or 9 minute per game guys like Redmond or Bods therefore allowing for 2-3 fewer minutes per game for Beauch-EJ will go a long way over the course of a season.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I don''t think they even know how it's going to work. Barrie should be 2nd with most ice time. Regardless, of the "pairing" he's on.

Pretty much, even the top 6 it's too early to tell.

If Barrie is 2nd in ice time that means we are playing from behind too often.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
This year is ****ed anyway. Just let the kids play please Roy.

I hope:

Beauchemin - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Bigras - Tyutin

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Beauchemin - Johnson
Bigras - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin
Gelinas - Wiercioch

Ad

Upcoming events