2016-17 Stockton Heat (and ADK Thunder) Thread [PLAYOFF BOUND!]

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Didn't we find out he was actually having health problems or something, and it wasn't just suckage?

I don't remember hearing about health problems, but he did leave the team due to personal reasons right before the playoffs started.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't remember hearing about health problems, but he did leave the team due to personal reasons right before the playoffs started.

I personally think he's waiting out the season to announce retirement from pro hockey.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
That seems like an odd thought. Do you have some sort of inside info to lead you in that direction?

None whatsoever, but having a guy disappear long term for personal matters (it's been about a third of Stockton's season at this point) the same year that he sees his play decline significantly makes me wonder whether the two are connected and he's losing the drive to play pro hockey.

The other obvious possibility is that a close relative is terminally ill, but it seems strange that would cause a player to miss such a long period of time. On CP a lot of posters also speculated substance problems, although bear in mind it's posters on CP and thus probably mostly nonsense.

Also worth bearing in mind is that if it were something family related, they would probably say he's taking a leave for something related to his family, but the term that the Heat has used is "personal leave" - sounds like a vacation or something. Add that to the fact that every time it's brought up (which is not often), Huska or Pascall is saying that he has the organisation's full support, that they "still" see him as a top prospect, yada yada yada - and it makes me think that the problem has to do with his headspace and not with a family emergency.

Last edited:

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
None whatsoever, but having a guy disappear long term for personal matters (it's been about a third of Stockton's season at this point) the same year that he sees his play decline significantly makes me wonder whether the two are connected and he's losing the drive to play pro hockey.

The other obvious possibility is that a close relative is terminally ill, but it seems strange that would cause a player to miss such a long period of time. On CP a lot of posters also speculated substance problems, although bear in mind it's posters on CP and thus probably mostly nonsense.

That explains it.

We were talking about prospect goalie Nick Schneider, you are talking about Emile Poirier.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
That explains it.

We were talking about prospect goalie Nick Schneider, you are talking about Emile Poirier.

Holy **** :laugh: well I haven't paid two cents of attention to Schneider this year so I am of no help there. This is what happens when you browse through a thread you haven't read in a week and try to add input

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I heard the same as AS, it came out that he was "sent home" then it came out that it was either health or personal reasons and would be rejoining the team shortly. I believe he was gone for no more than a couple weeks.

However back to what to do with Schneider, the other option if the WHL is unlikely would be to loan him to another ECHL club. As we saw with ADK, teams will loan out goalie slots to 2 different NHL clubs. Also we may not have ADK as our affiliate in the ECHL next season as the Flames sold the team.

Another option with the goalies is we keep both Rittich and Gillies and one of them becomes the backup next year.

Calgary: Elliott & Gillies
Stockton: Rittich, McDonald/Parsons
AHL Loan: McCollum
ECHL: McDonald/Parsons & Schneider (2 different clubs)

But I do suspect Rittich or McDonald ends up with the Vegas organization as they will not be able to take any waiver exempt goalies in the expansion draft and our goalie pool is as deep as any.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I heard the same as AS, it came out that he was "sent home" then it came out that it was either health or personal reasons and would be rejoining the team shortly. I believe he was gone for no more than a couple weeks.

However back to what to do with Schneider, the other option if the WHL is unlikely would be to loan him to another ECHL club. As we saw with ADK, teams will loan out goalie slots to 2 different NHL clubs. Also we may not have ADK as our affiliate in the ECHL next season as the Flames sold the team.

Another option with the goalies is we keep both Rittich and Gillies and one of them becomes the backup next year.

But I do suspect Rittich or McDonald ends up with the Vegas organization as they will not be able to take any waiver exempt goalies in the expansion draft and our goalie pool is as deep as any.

Do we know who Vegas' AHL/ECHL affiliates will be? I honest to God had not even thought about the fact they needed farm depth in addition to an NHL roster.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009

Yes, I could see Treliving flipping one of those two for one of the goalies they select in the expansion draft. Maybe they end up with Pickard, Grubauer and also acquire MAF as their starter. They'd need to flip one of the other two, and flipping them for a pick and a goalie who doesn't require waivers makes a ton of sense.

Here's the post that links an article which mentions Schneider being sent home for medical reasons:

Thanks. Hopefully the kid is alright, and has a great next season wherever he ends up.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
Didn't watch the game yesterday, but Matthew Phillips was all over the highlights pack and Huska said he was surprised by how well Phillips played. I wonder if he might see some ice time in the playoffs.

He was on the power play in his first AHL game. I readily admit to possibly reading too much into it, but even with other players presumably being rested for the playoffs that seems like a solid vote of confidence for Phillips. I hope they play him in the playoffs, he has rare skill even if he is tiny. Fifty goals in the Dub at 18 to 19 years old speaks for itself.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He was on the power play in his first AHL game. I readily admit to possibly reading too much into it, but even with other players presumably being rested for the playoffs that seems like a solid vote of confidence for Phillips. I hope they play him in the playoffs, he has rare skill even if he is tiny. Fifty goals in the Dub at 18 to 19 years old speaks for itself.
You're reading too much into it. IT was a game that meant nothing so they were giving guys a chance

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well Stockton seems to have a lot of goalies... Have to think that Gillies is going to get the bulk of the starts.
Gillies was quite good down the stretch. He went 7-2-0 in his last 10 starts with a 2.50 GAA and .921 SV%

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Stockton's in tough; Barracuda had the second best overall record in the AHL this year. It's nice to see the kids in though.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Stockton's in tough; Barracuda had the second best overall record in the AHL this year. It's nice to see the kids in though.

They split the season series with Stockton or something like that, though.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015

I think Stockton was 5-5-2 against them in the regular season.

And honestly, Stockton has been very good apart from their total power outage in midseason.

I expect San Jose to win but it will be closer than most 1v8 matchups.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Stockton loses their 1st game of the playoffs 4-0 but it was closer than the score would lead you to believe.

Game 2 on Sunday.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
ADK won today to force a game 6 in their 1st round series with Manchester, they still trail 3-2. If the Thunder can't come back from this deficit their playoffs will be a massive disappointment as they won the division and this will be the second year in a row they were ousted by the Monarchs.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
How has Gillies looked in the first? Im cant watch the game but from the stats it seems hes doing really well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad