2016-17 schedules, salary cap, draft picks and media

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's early so things can change but it's looking like another not so deep class. Canada & USA don't seem to have strong groups on the surface next year which hurts. No real bonafide top guys hurt too.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
It's important to keep adding picks while we are sellers because soon, we will be buyers at deadlines and that will cost picks and prospects.

exactly. we gotta load up on the picks while we still can. i'm hoping Streit at 50% retained can fetch a 2nd or 3rd. maybe MDZ and Read can land us some decent picks as well.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
exactly. we gotta load up on the picks while we still can. i'm hoping Streit at 50% retained can fetch a 2nd or 3rd. maybe MDZ and Read can land us some decent picks as well.

I'd say big difference between the two.

One just came back and showed he's worth where he was drafted and the other had 2 down years in-a-row.

MDZ just hit his prime and is definetly worth more.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
It's important to keep adding picks while we are sellers because soon, we will be buyers at deadlines and that will cost picks and prospects.

Very very true. I like the direction we are heading. In a few years we will be trading good looking prospects and high licks for those "missing pieces" and our cupboards will dry up for awhile. We need to set up a deep pool now while we can. We can't discount those late round picks either at this point. Yes, few pan out but if you can add 4th to 7th rnd picks for next to nothing or as "throw ins" you just might get lucky with one or two of them. The age old "more bullets" theory

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I'd say big difference between the two.

One just came back and showed he's worth where he was drafted and the other had 2 down years in-a-row.

MDZ just hit his prime and is definetly worth more.

I may get some hate for this, but I'd trade MDZ for a 2018 1st today. I think we could get it for him. A team trades their 1st two years from now so they have 2 years to make that as poor of a pick as possible . Also, MDZ and run your 2nd pairing, can play top pairing when needed, and is just entering his prime as a dman. Also for us, it opens up a spot on a crowded blue line.

Are we a better team today with MDZ, yes. However, no matter how optimistic we are we just aren't a cup contender today and we won't be until Provo, Ghost, Sanheim and Morin are ready to carry the load for us on defense and by that time MDZ should be pushed down to the bottom pairing.

I'd get high value for him now from a team looking to complete today and who is willing to sell some futures. Who knows, maybe in 2 years WE could be the ones reselling that 1st for the missing piece on offense.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I may get some hate for this, but I'd trade MDZ for a 2018 1st today. I think we could get it for him. A team trades their 1st two years from now so they have 2 years to make that as poor of a pick as possible . Also, MDZ and run your 2nd pairing, can play top pairing when needed, and is just entering his prime as a dman. Also for us, it opens up a spot on a crowded blue line.

Are we a better team today with MDZ, yes. However, no matter how optimistic we are we just aren't a cup contender today and we won't be until Provo, Ghost, Sanheim and Morin are ready to carry the load for us on defense and by that time MDZ should be pushed down to the bottom pairing.

I'd get high value for him now from a team looking to complete today and who is willing to sell some futures. Who knows, maybe in 2 years WE could be the ones reselling that 1st for the missing piece on offense.

Maybe you will but definetly not from me :).

We all agree that MDZ was a reclamation project and worked out really well. Now one can argue if selling high on him is the way to go.
As you mentioned, it would open up a spot on a crowded blue line. But here's the thing. I'd say this is a move for the upcoming off-season and not this one.

Because by this time, Provorov has one year of NHL experience under his belt, Morin probably played at least 20 games for the big club and possibly Sanheim already sniffed some Wells Fargo air.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Finally got around to looking at the schedule today. The Flyers have 17 back-to-backs this year and only one (the last one for the final two games of the season) where the Flyers are the home team for both games.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finally got around to looking at the schedule today. The Flyers have 17 back-to-backs this year and only one (the last one for the final two games of the season) where the Flyers are the home team for both games.

Which is a major pain in the ass for STH's, but oh well, surprised it doesn't happen more often. Late in the season, should be able to sell off for a decent price. They did that at the end of 06-07 and I went to both games (the second being Easter Sunday), and I was exhausted. Only other time I did a turnaround like that was when the Phantoms played the outdoor game vs. Hershey, at night, and the Flyers came back the next afternoon against Ottawa.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Is there a printer friendly home game only calendar out there somewhere? Ideally including game times, promotional night info?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad