Line Combos: 2016-17 Roster: What are areas of NEED?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs shouldnt sign Stamkos....

JVR-Kadri-Komarov
Vesey-Bozak-Parenteau
Helm-Nylander-Soshnikov
Michalek-Holland-Leivo
Laich

Rielly-Quincey/Demers/Gologoski
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hunwick-Carrick
Harrington-Corrado

Bernier- UFA/TRADE

Leafs need someone to play with Rielly on first pairing, a goalie, and a 1c wouldnt hurt either ;) #LoseForMatthews

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Really torn whether Marner should be on this team next year...

JVR-Stamkos-Brown
Komarov-Kadri-Soshnikov
Michalek-Nylander-Laine
Greening-Laich-Hyman

Rielly-Quincey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Loov-Carrick
Percy

Ward
Bernier

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
2 top 4 right hand d men and a 1 centre also a 1 goalie i would look to draft them if at all possible paying a ufa 11 million dollars for 7 years in a salary cap league scares me especially in the latter years of the contract when the players value is declining

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
our biggest need will be top pairing defense followed by a compenent goalie.

marner matthews stamkos
jvr nylander michalek
komorov kadri/bozak shoshnikov
leivo laich greening
froese

rielly xxxxxxx
gardiner zaitsev
hunwick carrick/percy/harrington/corrado

xxxxxxx
sparky

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
2 top 4 right hand d men and a 1 centre also a 1 goalie i would look to draft them if at all possible paying a ufa 11 million dollars for 7 years in a salary cap league scares me especially in the latter years of the contract when the players value is declining

Well one added bonus of getting stamkos is

you can free up a forward blue chip prospect for a defensemen blue chip prospect or the likes.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Leave Stamkos alone. Leafs will be making the same mistake in building around a one-dimensional scorer. He's not good enough defensively imo to be a center (where he wants to play).

Let Buffalo make the mistake of signing that ridiculous contract. Go with the youth movement with a few quality veterans.

JvR - Matthews - Marner
Kapenen - Nylander - Hyman
Komorov - Kadri - Soshnikov
Greening - Laich - Michalek

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Leave Stamkos alone. Leafs will be making the same mistake in building around a one-dimensional scorer. He's not good enough defensively imo to be a center (where he wants to play).

Let Buffalo make the mistake of signing that ridiculous contract. Go with the youth movement with a few quality veterans.

JvR - Matthews - Marner

nope sorry, but your just dead wrong

Team Canada does not select players like that for their team, let alone top 6.

over the years we have seen plenty of examples of them leaving that kind of player at home.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

JvR - Matthews - Marner

As with others I have to say adding Stamkos would be a good idea. Look I like our kids, most look great but we have seen what has happened in EDM and I don't want to see that here. Adding great players will take the pressure off the kids. Mixing a rookie on a line with two vets will help them develop.

If we get the first overall then we draft Matthews.
Sign Stamkos
Trade Kadri and Or Bozak, potentially both to get a first pairing D. Shattenkirk seems most likely target but if Dumba or Trouba are available to be had then look into those options.
Sign Zaitsev
Trade for Andersen and sign 5x5 deal.
Add left wing depth, Boedker or maybe a trade with philly for Schenn.
Ride out the season with Michalek, Liach and Greening on your forth line and flip them at the deadline.
Deal Bernier for a bag o pucks at the TDL.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Look at this way, if we do finish dead last we aren't guaranteed 1st. Many of you are already penciling Matthews on the top line for heavens sake. 80% chance we will NOT even get him if we finish last. But there is a chance like Lloyd Christmas once said in dumb and dumber. Nylander can ultimately be our #1C but on the other hand isn't 6'2+ so he doesn't fit the criteria for HF boards standards. I have this feeling we will draft Laine though for some reason.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

JvR - Matthews - Marner

Agreed - we should try to groom our own talent and we are going to find our own Stamko, no need to sign a $10 - $12 M FA at this stage

Instead of signing stammer let's try and sign Ladd and Goligoski

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
JVR STAMKOS MARNER
BOEDKER/SCHENN KADRI NYLANDER
KOMAROV MATTHEWS SOSH
MICHALEK LIACH GREENING

RIELLY SHATTENKIRK
GARDINER ZAITSEV
LOOV/PERCY CARRICK/CORRADO

ANDERSEN
BERNIER

So a lot of things need to go our way;

1.) We win the draft lottery and draft Matthews. Pitts pick Logan Brown, Dante Fabbro or German Rubtsov
2.) Sign Stamkos 8x10.5 (third as compensation for rights)
3.) Player and or picks/prospects to pull a trade with StL and extend Shattenkirk 7x7(deal reched before trade)
4.) Player and or picks/prospects to land Andersen from Ana. Sign to 5x5
5.) ideally like Schenn from philly as I think they will experience some cap issues and I like the fact he is younger and better defensively. Unfortunately don't want to give up much so Boedker may be more practical.
6.) Sign Zaitsev to a ELC.

LUPUL IS ON LTIR
ROBIDAS IS ON LTIR
HORTON IS ON LTIR

As said Flip Bernier, Michalek, Liach and Greening at TDL for picks.

After the TDL

4th Line
Leivo Hyman Sosh

Kappenan moves up to 3rd line.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Look at this way, if we do finish dead last we aren't guaranteed 1st. Many of you are already penciling Matthews on the top line for heavens sake. 80% chance we will NOT even get him if we finish last. But there is a chance like Lloyd Christmas once said in dumb and dumber. Nylander can ultimately be our #1C but on the other hand isn't 6'2+ so he doesn't fit the criteria for HF boards standards. I have this feeling we will draft Laine though for some reason.

heh, after 13 years of hell

dreaming a little is cathartic.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
JVR STAMKOS MARNER
BOEDKER/SCHENN KADRI NYLANDER
KOMAROV MATTHEWS SOSH
MICHALEK LIACH GREENING

RIELLY SHATTENKIRK
GARDINER ZAITSEV
LOOV/PERCY CARRIC/CORRADO

ANDERSEN
BERNIER

So a lot of things need to go our way;

1.) We win the draft lottery and draft Matthews. Pitts pick Logan Brown, Dante Fabbro or German Rubtsov
2.) Sign Stamkos 8x10.5 (third as compensation for rights)
3.) Player and or picks/prospects to pull a trade with StL and extend Shattenkirk 7x7(deal reched before trade)
4.) Player and or picks/prospects to land Andersen from Ana. Sign to 5x5
5.) ideally like Schenn from philly as I think they will experience some cap issues and I like the fact he is younger and better defensively. Unfortunately don't want to give up much so Boedker may be more practical.

LUPUL IS ON LTIR
ROBIDAS IS ON LTIR
HORTON IS ON LTIR

As said Flip Bernier, Michalek, Liach and Greening at TDL for picks.

ummm for the record

I'm pretty darn sure the cap would have something to say about your plan.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Agreed but as there have been some media reports floating around out there that the two players in question have played their last game for tne TML. If it is true then it works, otherwise not going to happen and i understand that.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Agreed but as there have been some media reports floating around out there that the two players in question have played their last game for tne TML. If it is true then it works, otherwise not going to happen and i understand that.

Oh it has nothing to do with "the two"

if my math is correct and contract projections, you way way over regardless what happens with those 2

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Which 2 players you are talking about?

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
nope sorry, but your just dead wrong

Team Canada does not select players like that for their team, let alone top 6.

over the years we have seen plenty of examples of them leaving that kind of player at home.

You obviously don't understand the difference between building around a one-dimensional scorer versus having him as a complimentary player.

Team Canada doesn't have a salary cap. Nor are they built around Stamkos.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Go young. Give the kids a shot. We'll probably end up near the bottom again but who knows maybe the young guys surprise. Tired of watching the reclamation projects.

Komarov Kadri Soshnikov
JVR Nylander Marner
Michalek Bozak Leivo
Holland Laich Hyman
Froese

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Corrado
Hunwick Carrick
Percy Harrington

UFA/trade
Sparks

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I have no idea where we will draft. Somewhere between 1-5. Where we draft (and who) will have a major impact on the roster moving forward.

As for Stamkos, again, no idea of his intentions or the Leafs.

All I have now is the departing UFAs and depth chart for next year.
As it stands:

UFAs:
Parenteau,Grabner,Boyes,Smith,Clune,Arcobello,Stalock

LTIR:
Horton,Robidas?

Buyouts:
Cowen

JVR-Bozak-Marner(will get a good look in training camp)
Komarov-Kadri-Soshnikov
Michalek-Nylander-Hyman
Greening-Laich-Lupul/Holland

The future of Lupul is unknown. Trade,demotion,LTIR,13th forward,mysterious circumstances?
Holland? His time may be almost up.
Kapanen,Brown,Lindberg,Leivo,Leipsic and all other picks will be training camp evaluated.

Hunwick-Rielly
Gardiner-Corrado
Marincin-Carrick

Harrington,Percy,Valiev,Loov,Dermott,Nielsen and all other picks will be training camp evaluated.

Bernier
Sparks

Bibeau will be evaluated.

This is where we stand as of now.
This is the known. Hard to work with unknown.

Last edited:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I have no idea where we will draft. Somewhere between 1-5. Where we draft (and who) will have a major impact on the roster moving forward.

As for Stamkos, again, no idea of his intentions or the Leafs.

All I have now is the departing UFAs and depth chart for next year.
As it stands:

UFAs:
Parenteau,Grabner,Boyes,Smith,Clune,Arcobello,Stalock

LTIR:
Horton,Robidas?

Buyouts:
Cowen

JVR-Bozak-Marner(will get a good look in training camp)
Komarov-Kadri-Soshnikov
Michalek-Nylander-Hyman
Greening-Laich-Lupul

The future of Lupul is unknown. Trade,demotion,LTIR,13th forward,mysterious circumstances?
Kapanen,Brown,Lindberg,Leivo,Leipsic and all other picks will be training camp evaluated.

Hunwick-Rielly
Gardiner-Corrado
Marincin-Carrick

Harrington,Percy,Valiev,Loov,Dermott,Nielsen and all other picks will be training camp evaluated.

Bernier
Sparks

Bibeau will be evaluated.

This is where we stand as of now.
This is the known. Hard to work with unknown.

Solid post.

Bolded are players I expect to be in the lineup in October. Underlined are players that should be on the roster next season, but wouldn't be surprised if traded/demoted.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I would have hoped if they could get a blue chip d prospect for a blue chip forward prospect they would have done it by now

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
If the Leafs can get some competent defencemen and average goaltending, for next year, then they will be a really tough team to beat. As we've seen these last few games, they are already a pretty tough team to play against with the defenceman and goaltending being the only big reason for most of these losses.

Last night, Berneir could have easily had a shutout. He was solid but the defence let them down. Marincin and Hunwick are awful and it's hard to watch a game when you have to have a puke bucket on the ready. Corrado has also been bad since the kids came up. Even Rielly, Gardiner and Carrick have had their moments lately. The Leafs need some solid D to play with the latter 3 guys and they will improve significantly as a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad