Line Combos: 2016-17 Roster: What are areas of NEED?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
:leafs 2016-17
Komarov - Kadri - Michalek
van Riemsdyk - Bozak - LaichLeivo - Nylander - Hyman
Leipsic - Holland - Soshnikov
extra: Greening

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Carrick - Corrado
extra: Harrington, Marincin

Sparks
Bernier

Here's a potential 2016-17 roster, no UFA signings, re-sign the RFAs (Kadri, Holland, Marincin, Corrado, Carrick, Rielly).

Assuming liberal call-ups, based on what we've been told from Shanahan and co., so only Hyman (age 22), Nylander (200+ AHL/SEL/NHL games), Soshnikov (age 21) get called-up.

Looking at that roster, what do you feel are the areas with the most need to address. Remember to tone down expectations, we're in year 2 of the Shanaplan, Lou's said the tear-down is over, so we're moving towards assembling the right parts. What are the first areas that you think the Leafs address?

I think Michalek, Laich, and Greening are poised to be deadline trade bait, which will open spots up for Kapanen, Brown, and probably Andreas Johnson. So let's not focus too much on those three players, they're likely already on the way out.

My thoughts are:
#1 upgrading the bottom half of the defense corps.
#2 Bona Fide #1 Goalie (Schneider type deal at the draft?)
#3 Upgrade to 4C

Feel free to share your own thoughts.

As a bonus, share what you think the expectation is for next season (i.e. bottom out again, playoff bubble, playoff team but not a Cup threat, or Cup threat)

***EDIT: I know this is a bit late, but I'm adding a Stamkos roster, just for comparative purposes.***

:leafs 2016-17 (with Steven Stamkos!)
Komarov - Kadri - Stamkos
van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Michalek
Leivo - Nylander - Soshnikov
Leipsic - Holland - Laich
extra: Hyman

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Carrick - Corrado
extra: Harrington, Marincin

Sparks
Bernier

Going with Stamkos on the W, as historically that's where Babcock has played him, that's where Cooper played him (or wanted to play him). I know there is a perceived rift in TB and this is talked about as part of the problem, Stamkos wanting to play C, not wing, but I think there is a lot more respect for Babcock's opinion over Cooper's, and this could be fine in TO.

If it IS a problem though, the Leafs could move out Bozak. I can't see them re-signing Kadri only to deal him, but you never know.

I'm assuming Greening is moved in the off-season or through training camp once a prospect shows they're sufficiently ahead. If not they either they bury him in the minors or buy him out.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Upgrading the quality of the defensive core is a major priority, especially getting a RHD defender that can play big minutes. We cannot keep giving Hunwick top 2/3 minutes, even if he's played decently. I think we have more than enough solid bottom pairing guys, even players that can play #3-4 minutes. we just don't have that top end defender that can play in any situation at a high level. Rielly has done a great job playing as a #1 this year but he needs a partner. This will be very hard to find, whether it's through drafting or trade (the former likely to happen). Quality of the overall group has to improve, and probably will require a lot developing.

Second would probably find a competent duo of goaltenders, or obviously a #1. Again, this will take time to find, so finding a competent goaltender will be a bit of a priority. Bernier can be that guy but of course this season has been super bad for him. Sparks to me is a really good backup for now. So it's about finding that #1 goaltender, and Bernier doesn't appear to be that goaltender for us.

Developing the forwards. There's not much you can do here other than giving minutes to your young core and giving them experience. I don't think we need to do anything huge here. If you want short-term upgrades, a #1 center and a top 6 RW would be a very high priority.

The theme here is simple --- development. You cannot force it most of the time. Maybe you find a few pieces through trades but the emphasis should be on drafting your core pieces, developing them and fill the depth pieces through signings and trades.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Going off your roster.

Just for chemistry reasons.

Komarov-Kadri should be a duo (Kadri and JVR have no chemistry)

JVR-Bozak should be a duo, but I don't care about Bozak, I'd be more inclined to bump Bozak to 3C and give JVR to Nylander

Leivo will be on the roster.

Not confident that Corrado is going to be on the roster and if he is, no more then a #7, same for Marincin. Loov probably makes the team next year.

You're missing Lupul too.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Top pairing Right D.
#1 C
#1 G.

Don't you feel we have this in either Nylander or our 2016 draft pick? We could potentially have Matthews/Laine.

And I didn't include the 2016 pick on the roster because I'm not sold that they'd get immediately slotted in (especially in the case of Laine). It's hard to say to Marner spend another year in the OHL and put Laine/Matthews in the roster...

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
One of Bozak or Kadri traded;

Add top pairing RHD;

Trade for Goalie using picks/prospects;

Add UFA's one one year deals and flip;

Oh ya add one of Matthews or Laine

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Going off your roster.

Just for chemistry reasons.

Komarov-Kadri should be a duo (Kadri and JVR have no chemistry)

JVR-Bozak should be a duo, but I don't care about Bozak, I'd be more inclined to bump Bozak to 3C and give JVR to Nylander

Leivo will be on the roster.

Not confident that Corrado is going to be on the roster and if he is, no more then a #7, same for Marincin. Loov probably makes the team next year.

You're missing Lupul too.

Better get the missing posters up and put his picture on the milk cartons, cause Lupul will be MIA next season.

Robidas is now a verb, and Lupes knows about it.

I'll fix the pairings, I agree.

I'll move Leivo in, but not sure who I'm taking out... guess I'll remove Froese and put Holland at 4C

Last edited:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
One of Bozak or Kadri traded.

Add top pairing RHD

Trade for Goalie using picks/prospects

Add UFA's one one year deals and flip

I think these are our big playing chips, along with JVR, and possibly Gardiner but that's counter-productive to improving the D-corps.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Don't you feel we have this in either Nylander or our 2016 draft pick? We could potentially have Matthews/Laine.

And I didn't include the 2016 pick on the roster because I'm not sold that they'd get immediately slotted in (especially in the case of Laine). It's hard to say to Marner spend another year in the OHL and put Laine/Matthews in the roster...

If we have Matthews... than we have that 1C... we don't currently have Matthews, so we still need a 1C.

Laine isn't a C.

Could Nylander be a 1C? Maybe... but he isn't yet, and may not be one.... so until he proves he is, he isn't, and we still need a 1C.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Oh crap, forgot about Zaitsev...

Has he signed yet? If no... we don't have Zaitsev yet either...

But... ask this question after July 2nd... and we can talk at that point...

With the right trades, and luck, and UFA signings, and bringing guys from Europe... we could add...

Matthews, Sergachev, Stamkos, Zaitsev, Johnson, Vesey to the mix..... At that point... I might think... hmmm... maybe we just need a goalie and development time... and we draft Hart in the second round, and hope for the best.

Jun 27, 2005
Given the OP's assumptions (no Mathews, no Stamkos etc) which is realistic the mandate would be to tank again and let the kids develop.

Looking into the future it appears that this team might have some second liners but limited future first liners. The 16 and 17 picks must be early and somehow find a 1C and 1D and hope for a goaltender with the second rounder lottery. It will probably be better to tank for two or three more years depending on the lottery results.

Reilly while very good is not a contenders 1D and I have no idea where the Leafs are going to get one.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
JVR-Kadri-Komarov
Michalek-Bozak-Leivo
Laich-Nylander-Marner
Greening-Froese-UFA
(Hyman)

Rielly-Hunwick
Gardiner-Zaitsev
UFA-UFA
(Percy)

Bernier
Sparks

Soshnikov, Brown, Kapanen further develop in AHL and get top line minutes and are ready for first callups

Loov, Harrington, Valiev start in AHL

2016 1st rounder starts in AHL

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Need to update the defense, no questions asked.

You've got a lot of talent up front and coming through the system.

You need to surround the young defense with quality veterans.

Goaltending is an issue too.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
To be honest, aside from the obvious potential additions of Stamkos, Zaitsez, Matthews/Laine/Pulj and maybe Vesey. I think we just stand pat.

Probably add a couple of 1yr free agents to bulk up numbers. But let the team continue to marinade. Regardless, we'll be adding a couple of handy pieces this off-season I feel. Nothing major needs doing outside of letting that occur. Then let them learn and grow in the system Babcock has them playing.

We'll be better next year I feel. Don't see us getting the play-offs. But I think we'll be looking down a few teams next year. Heck, maybe we'll get lucky and win a top 3 pick too, that'd be gold. But I feel like we've got some real star quality, and now lots of support for them too.

Feels good.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Without banking on guys coming in... (trades, or future draft picks)

Michalek-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Nylander-Leivo
Soshnikov-Bozak-Marner
Laich-Holland-Greening
Lupul, Froese

Hunwick-Rielly
Gardiner-?
Loov-?

Bernier
Sparks

Possibilities on the back end include - Carrick, Corrado, Zaitsev, Percy, Harrington, Marincin

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
JVR---Stamkos---willi

Koma---Kadri/Boz---Michalek/Marner

Michalek/Holly---Kadri/boz/Mathews/holly--marner

Vesey/kid-----Laich----kid

greening/kid

Hunwick/trade a spare forward+pick(player)---Reils

Gards----Zaitsev/kid

kid---kid

kid--kid

berny/traded for tender

berny/sparks

Robida be robida

Lup= robida or buy out or trade with retention

buy out cowen.

what can this do in the standings next year?

I frankly don't care

as long as the "kids" listen and hear babcock and give 100% towards being a solid pro , then what ever happens after that is gravy in my eyes.

Last edited:

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
:leafs 2016-17
Komarov - Kadri - Michalek
van Riemsdyk - Bozak - Laich
Leivo - Nylander - Hyman
Greening - Holland - Soshnikov

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Carrick - Corrado

Sparks
Bernier

Here's a potential 2016-17 roster, no UFA signings, re-sign the RFAs (Kadri, Holland, Marincin, Corrado, Carrick, Rielly).

Assuming liberal call-ups, based on what we've been told from Shanahan and co., so only Hyman (age 22), Nylander (200+ AHL/SEL/NHL games), Soshnikov (age 21) get called-up.

Looking at that roster, what do you feel are the areas with the most need to address. Remember to tone down expectations, we're in year 2 of the Shanaplan, Lou's said the tear-down is over, so we're moving towards assembling the right parts. What are the first areas that you think the Leafs address?

I think Michalek, Laich, and Greening are poised to be deadline trade bait, which will open spots up for Kapanen, Brown, and probably Andreas Johnson. So let's not focus too much on those three players, they're likely already on the way out.

My thoughts are:
#1 upgrading the bottom half of the defense corps.
#2 Bona Fide #1 Goalie (Schneider type deal at the draft?)
#3 Upgrade to 4C

Feel free to share your own thoughts.

As a bonus, share what you think the expectation is for next season (i.e. bottom out again, playoff bubble, playoff team but not a Cup threat, or Cup threat)
add Hunwick to your deadline day guys moved. 3rd pairing are both right handed shots(not that it really matters these days). I see Harrington and Percy both making the squad over Corrado. Leafs could carry 8 dman. Id go with Bernier and Sparks and hope Bernier plays well enough to get moved. I just dont see Bozak back with the team, and Ill be surprised if Lupul is bought out. His caphit of 3 million in 2017-18 is big and would be on the books till 2019-20. Id rather they hold onto him and see what happens or trade him and retain salary for 2 years. I agree Kapanen needs 1 more year in the AHL. Really dont sign any free agents this summer let most of the kids play (2 free agents would be Zaitsev and Vesey.)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Has he signed yet? If no... we don't have Zaitsev yet either...

But... ask this question after July 2nd... and we can talk at that point...

With the right trades, and luck, and UFA signings, and bringing guys from Europe... we could add...

Matthews, Sergachev, Stamkos, Zaitsev, Johnson, Vesey to the mix..... At that point... I might think... hmmm... maybe we just need a goalie and development time... and we draft Hart in the second round, and hope for the best.

He's said he is signing, so it's a lot less of a jump than say, Stamkos who just isn't signed with TB yet.

I'd lump Vesey into the Stamkos category. Future is still too foggy there. Sure we have his dad and brother, but that's only worth so much. NSH drafted him and Poile is putting a LOT of effort on retaining him. They even avoided deadline trades to specifically keep a roster spot open for him (per Friedman).

But Zaitsev has said, I'm going to Toronto. And this isn't a Soshnikov type situation. This is a 24, going to be 25 year old D who is considered one of if not THE BEST blueliners in the KHL. And blueliners historically have fared much better transitioning to the NHL game than forwards.

I can't begin to stress how excited I am, and how excited we should all be, over this player coming over.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We need a overhaul on D outside of Rielly. Could use a top C. I would try and upgrade on Bernier, I'm over him, will never be a #1

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
So next year our d might be the worst in the nhl. Still have bad contracts at forward which is going to slow down on bringing the young guns up. They will be a last place team again next year.

With that said I love the forward prospects we have. So much speed and talent. The leafs need 2 top 4 dmen.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
add Hunwick to your deadline day guys moved. 3rd pairing are both right handed shots(not that it really matters these days).

I see Harrington and Percy both making the squad over Corrado. Leafs could carry 8 dman. Id go with Bernier and Sparks and hope Bernier plays well enough to get moved.

I just dont see Bozak back with the team, and Ill be surprised if Lupul is bought out. His caphit of 3 million in 2017-18 is big and would be on the books till 2019-20. Id rather they hold onto him and see what happens or trade him and retain salary for 2 years.

I agree Kapanen needs 1 more year in the AHL. Really dont sign any free agents this summer let most of the kids play (2 free agents would be Zaitsev and Vesey.)

Sure, I agree with Hunwick as TD bait.

As for Percy/Harrington, not sure about their waiver eligibility but if we re-sign Corrado, Carrick, and Marincin, those three all have to clear waivers to play in the AHL. So that's why I put them there. If Harrington or Percy also have to clear, then those guys probably take the spots.

I think if Bozak was going to be moved he would've been moved at the TD. He's not in the same boat as Lupul/Robidas, where he's too old and unreliable. Bozak has been super consistent and didn't even drop with Kessel out of the picture. He's been praised for his compete level and his defensive play improved a tonne. I think he was concussed and then held out of the lineup for the tank and to give Nylander and co. the opportunity to showcase their abilities.

Definitely don't think we will see Lupul bought out. Lupul has probably agreed to be Robidas'd, where he "retires" and gets paid his full salary rather than being bought out for 2/3rds. At this point I can't see him getting better as a UFA than a PTO and a league min. contract offer IF he makes a squad, so the non-buyout is more money AND he doesn't have to work hard to get it.

And Kapanen needs 1/2 a season more, he'll get called up to fill in for Laich/Michalek/Greening when any or all those guys get shipped out.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
So next year our d might be the worst in the nhl. Still have bad contracts at forward which is going to slow down on bringing the young guns up. They will be a last place team again next year.

With that said I love the forward prospects we have. So much speed and talent. The leafs need 2 top 4 dmen.

I think this is within the realm of possibility of addressing in FA.

Two of Campbell, Yandle, Hamhuis, Russell, Demers, Polak are potential UFA recruits, and there are some intriguing RFAs in the likes of Krug, Barrie, Gudbranson, and DeKeyser, who may be acquirable via trade for a not-too-insane price tag.

Imagine adding Russell and Barrie, for example.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Depends on who that is... if we pick fourth or lower, AHL may not be an option. Matthews is not starting in the AHL, and in all probability Laine wouldn't either.

If we get Matthews I could see him staying in Switzerland on loan and coming over after one or possibly even two more years out there. It's good incentive for both sides because it gives Matthews a lot of money, and the Leafs get him in a "development" league where he isn't burning his ELC, and he gets to mature in a men's league rather than in the juniors. I could even see Marner doing this were it not for Hunter probably wanting to keep closer tabs on him.

Although I would be fine seeing him jump into the NHL right away, especially with a year in SWI where from all accounts he has been dominant even against men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad