Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVII | Trade Deadline Watch Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Shatty wants to go there because he is from CT (near NYC) probably being close to family and a Rangers fan growing up.

He was born in CT but grew up in New Rochelle outside of NYC. Stands to reason he grew up a Rangers fan.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
So is this constant "trade Maatta" actually coming from somewhere in or around the organization? Or is it just this board's wishful thinking?

It is coming from somewhere in and around the organization, but no 'official' channels. That's why you'll see certain posts carefully worded if there is no media source to link to. The site maintains a list of vetted insiders, and then mods from individual boards, like ours, can also allow those that haven't been vetted to post information if they've been proven to be reliable.

The thought is that the team will protect 7F/3D/1G in the upcoming expansion draft. Letang and Schultz will be protected, so that leaves the choice between Maatta and Dumo. Performance wise, Dumo fits the system better. Also, when he is re-signed it should be for less than Maatta is currently making, which with the cap projected to remain flat makes it more likely he'll be the third D. The team obviously doesn't want to lose Maatta for nothing, so he's the logical choice to move. That's the current thought, anyway. Things can and do change.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It is coming from somewhere in and around the organization, but no 'official' channels. That's why you'll see certain posts carefully worded if there is no media source to link to. The site maintains a list of vetted insiders, and then mods from individual boards, like ours, can also allow those that haven't been vetted to post information if they've been proven to be reliable.

The thought is that the team will protect 5F/3D/1G in the upcoming expansion draft. Letang and Schultz will be protected, so that leaves the choice between Maatta and Dumo. Performance wise, Dumo fits the system better. Also, when he is re-signed it should be for less than Maatta is currently making, which with the cap projected to remain flat makes it more likely he'll be the third D. The team obviously doesn't want to lose Maatta for nothing, so he's the logical choice to move. That's the current thought, anyway. Things can and do change.

slight correction: it's 7F/3D/1G. The alternative is 4F/4D/1G. The issue is that to protect one more D, we have to expose 3 more F. Also, we really only have 6F that I feel really need to be protected, which is why trading our 4th D for a 7th F makes a lot of sense. It lets us protect more of our overall team value.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Agreed, JTG. This team isn't in the position the Shero teams were where it was a couple of all-world guys and a bunch of nobodies. The good news is, I think JR knows that. It's not an all-in for no reason situation, it's a legitimate all-in for a chance to win a Cup year after year now. I think if JR thinks he can land someone like Duchene, he'll part with the pieces to make it happen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Agreed, JTG. This team isn't in the position the Shero teams were where it was a couple of all-world guys and a bunch of nobodies. The good news is, I think JR knows that. It's not an all-in for no reason situation, it's a legitimate all-in for a chance to win a Cup year after year now. I think if JR thinks he can land someone like Duchene, he'll part with the pieces to make it happen.

JR made a comment about contracts and such and it went something like, "We'll worry about 2021 when 2021 comes."

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And what JR does with Schultz, Dumoulin, and Sheary this offseason will have a lot to do with how 2021 goes. If he can keep all of those guys at reasonable numbers, we'll be set.

All 3 are in like to get PAID.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And what JR does with Schultz, Dumoulin, and Sheary this offseason will have a lot to do with how 2021 goes. If he can keep all of those guys at reasonable numbers, we'll be set.

All 3 are in like to get PAID.

I'm thinking Schultz gets like $4.5 million on a 3 year deal, Sheary gets like $3.5 million on a 4 year deal (similar deal to the Johnson/Palat/Kucherov deals) and Dumoulin gets like $3 million per on a 5 year deal. I think those are all pretty reasonable numbers to get 2 top-4 D and a top-6 winger.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm thinking Schultz gets like $4.5 million on a 3 year deal, Sheary gets like $3.5 million on a 4 year deal (similar deal to the Johnson/Palat/Kucherov deals) and Dumoulin gets like $3 million per on a 5 year deal. I think those are all pretty reasonable numbers to get 2 top-4 D and a top-6 winger.
You think they will be able to get Dumo that cheap for that long? That would be awesome, but I think it would be for fewer years or more money.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You think they will be able to get Dumo that cheap for that long? That would be awesome, but I think it would be for fewer years or more money.

I don't think he has the offensive game to get much more than that. The dude doesn't have a regular season goal in the last 2 seasons. Now, if he would have repeated what he did in the playoffs last year for this season, I could totally see him breaking the bank. However, he hasn't had a strong season this year overall.

Maybe chop off a year or two, but I'm struggling to see him getting much more than $3 or $3.5 million. I think it's more likely he takes a 2 year bridge deal at like $2.5 million per than it is for him to get a Maatta-like contract.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Stupidity on this board. Olli has some of the best 5v5 stats of all D men since entering the league and people want to bail on him before DP has even earned an NHL spot. He's not anywhere near his prime and is relatively cheap. He also plays the toughest minutes (most D zone starts) on the team. He's an incredible goal preventer.

He got beat a couple of times, so he sucks now. Just like Lovejoy, Gogo, Nisky, etc.:sarcasm:

There, certainly, is something to be said for that but that is his strength. An O zone start he is facing a potential rush.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Stupidity on this board. Olli has some of the best 5v5 stats of all D men since entering the league and people want to bail on him before DP has even earned an NHL spot. He's not anywhere near his prime and is relatively cheap. He also plays the toughest minutes (most D zone starts) on the team. He's an incredible goal preventer.

He got beat a couple of times, so he sucks now. Just like Lovejoy, Gogo, Nisky, etc.:sarcasm:

All of this ignores that the expansion draft is coming up which means difficult decisions will need to be made on the personnel front, and discussions about trading Maatta are usually in the context of getting back Duchene.

Nobody's talking about moving Maatta for a pittance because they think he stinks.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I've pegged Schultz at 5 years 20 million. Dumoulin at 5 years 18 million. Sheary 4 years 14 million. I think those are all fair deals, it definitely keeps us competitive, and it keeps all 3 tradeable.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
To be fair, your argument would hold more water if you didn't stop at "he got beat a couple times," and finished the thought--"he got beat a couple times every game." :laugh:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think he has the offensive game to get much more than that. The dude doesn't have a regular season goal in the last 2 seasons. Now, if he would have repeated what he did in the playoffs last year for this season, I could totally see him breaking the bank. However, he hasn't had a strong season this year overall.

Maybe chop off a year or two, but I'm struggling to see him getting much more than $3 or $3.5 million. I think it's more likely he takes a 2 year bridge deal at like $2.5 million per than it is for him to get a Maatta-like contract.
I agree he won't get Maatta's deal because of his lock of offense, but I was thinking like $3Mx3 or $3.5Mx4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark