Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXII | Only 75 shopping days left till the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Exactly...plus if any injuries happen we have a AHLer in the top 6...that's not exactly ideal/acceptable.

As much as I love Määttä, he isn't someone who should be seen as untouchable...but for this team right now you absolutely cannot trade him without getting a comparable D back in return. The only way we could deal someone like Määttä in-season would be if we were getting someone like Trouba back.

See, that's where the depth tag comes in. They need to get a throw in, and they need to pick up a #8/#9. Hardly that expensive.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I want nothing to do with Cole as a top 4 staple or Pouliot as a regular in the line-up right now. As I said, we would have a gaping hole at LD. That's not a championship defense.

Yeah, Trouba seemed like a good idea to me earlier. But with Schultz stepping up and DP disappointing so far, I wouldn't want to make that trade at this point.

Agreed with all of this.

See, that's where the depth tag comes in. They need to get a throw in, and they need to pick up a #8/#9. Hardly that expensive.

But that does nothing to fix the gigantic hole that was just created on the second pairing. I like Cole a lot, but he's not a second pairing guy on a team with Cup aspirations.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
GMJR should consider moving Fleury in a deal involving TJ Brodie. He's a buy low candidate and can flourish like Schultz did. For example, Fleury and Pouliot for Elliott and Brodie.

Then it would allow him to ship Maatta and an asset for Duchene. Fehr can be moved for cap space.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd much sooner trade for Duchene than Landeskog. Duchene's a regular 30 goal guy. Blazing speed. I would say he's not far off of Kessel in terms of talent.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Landeskog is more of what we need, though. Big body, mean, hard to play against, goes to the net.

Duchene's a perimeter guy and he plays the RW half boards on the PP, where we already have a logjam.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd love Lando, but I don't think I'd do that. We are opening up a hole going forward on D, adding a forward we need to protect, and losing what should be an affordable long term wing in the process. Though I suppose with how bad Guentzel is defensively, maybe its best to cut ties while he still has some trade value left :laugh:

If - hypothetically here if - we wanted to go 7-3 for protection, then we've got a 7th forward slot going more or less unused (Bonino-Sundqvist) and would be wise to unload a defenceman. I'm not saying do it, but in such a scenario, then protecting another forward ain't an issue.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Pens try to pick up a 7th forward after the season but before the expansion draft, maybe fill the hole at centre.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
But that does nothing to fix the gigantic hole that was just created on the second pairing. I like Cole a lot, but he's not a second pairing guy on a team with Cup aspirations.

If they're planning on keeping him together with Schultz, he may be that this season. Maatta played like 15 minutes last night. And I'd say Schultz is having the better season than Daley even in defensive play.

I'd send Maatta on his way for Duchene and find a 4/5 guy at the deadline.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Landeskog is more of what we need, though. Big body, mean, hard to play against, goes to the net.

Duchene's a perimeter guy and he plays the RW half boards on the PP, where we already have a logjam.

Landeskog's not better in front of the net than Hornqvist so hes not getting on the top PP either.

And I disagree that Duchene's a perimeter player. A lot of his goals come from driving to the net.

He plays more of a Sid type of role on the PP. Hanging to the side.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it's not the end of the world if we expose Schultz and he gets picked by LV. There's a chance Pouliot rebounds, or Bengtsson develops exponentially. There's a chance Shattenkirk tests the market, and we'd certainly have the cap space to make him an offer. There's Trouba. There's other reclamation projects out there.

He's not better in front of the net than Hornqvist so hes not getting on the top PP either.

And I disagree that Duchene's a perimeter player. A lot of his goals come from driving to the net.

So you want him on the PP over Sid? You can only have 5 guys out there. Who of Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist & Kessel do you take off?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think it's not the end of the world if we expose Schultz and he gets picked by LV. There's a chance Pouliot rebounds, or Bengtsson develops exponentially. There's a chance Shattenkirk tests the market, and we'd certainly have the cap space to make him an offer. There's Trouba. There's other reclamation projects out there.

So you want him on the PP over Sid? You can only have 5 guys out there. Who of Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist & Kessel do you take off?

I'm saying neither Landeskog nor Duchene are gonna be getting a ton of PP time here. I'll take Duchene at ES. He's on pace for 27 ES goals this year. Landeskog? 11.

No amount of gritty leadershipping is bridging that gap. And I bet Duchene costs less in a trade.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Any interest in a trade surrounding Dumoulin for Mantha & Smith? We'd have to add something but nothing too major.

Mantha would work well with Sid and Smith would be an ok #4 and is a UFA.

It also saves assets when it comes to bribes for expansion. We protect 7 F 3D.

Sid, Geno, Kessel, Hags, Horny, Mantha, Rust
Letang, Maatta, Schultz.

Forwards would look very good:

Sheary-Crosby-Mantha
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Bonino-Kessel
Kunitz-Cullen-Wilson/Kuhnhackl

Better without Kunitz but we know he'll be there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would say we have a far better chance finding a guy to replace Maatta as a shutdown presence than finding a D who can replace Letang's offense when he's out of the lineup like Schultz has.

I think it was clefty who mentioned moving Maatta and signing Alzner in the offseason. That'd be sweet. Especially if the rest of the league still thinks Maatta has offensive upside and we can get more in return for him because of it. The Caps will have a cap crunch and may see Orlov as someone who can move up their depth chart for cheaper.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I would say we have a far better chance finding a guy to replace Maatta as a shutdown presence than finding a D who can replace Letang's offense when he's out of the lineup like Schultz has.

I think it was clefty who mentioned moving Maatta and signing Alzner in the offseason. That'd be sweet. Especially if the rest of the league still thinks Maatta has offensive upside and we can get more in return for him because of it. The Caps will have a cap crunch and may see Orlov as someone who can move up their depth chart for cheaper.

We won't trade Maatta though. At least not in the short term. He's playing well now for what he is paid. He should keep getting better too.

They'll give him every opportunity and if this is his new normal that's ok too. He's one of our best defensively and good with the puck in his stick too.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Landeskog's not better in front of the net than Hornqvist so hes not getting on the top PP either.

The problem is where you allocate those cap hits.

Duchene will be a lot more dedicated to the C cap then other alternatives.

Landeskog fills a much more deserving need and would be balancing that cap use better being the cheaper of the two while still filling roster from within on raises.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
he certainly can

Cap Friendly says LW/C

Ok well no idea how this would translate on ice but on paper...

Say the trade took Maatta+Fehr+2018 2nd for Duchene+Tyutin. I'm not sure how the cap shakes out

Duchene-Sid-Kessel
HGH
Kunitz-Bones-Sheary
Wilson-Cullen-Rust

Dumo-Letang
Tyutin-Daley
Cole-Schultz

Murray
Flower

And interchange where necessary

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
A deal for Landeskog in the off-season before the expansion draft could theoretically clear up a few problems.

Horny + Dumo for Landeskog?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm saying neither Landeskog nor Duchene are gonna be getting a ton of PP time here. I'll take Duchene at ES. He's on pace for 27 ES goals this year. Landeskog? 11.

No amount of gritty leadershipping is bridging that gap. And I bet Duchene costs less in a trade.

I just kinda feel like we're already a little (or a lot) on the soft & small side, so I'd rather have Landeskog. He wouldn't detract from our speed / possession game any, either.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And how do we replace Dumo?

Maybe Cole. The draft is going to necessitate that we lose someone pretty valuable, and this deal would make it easier to go with 7F and 3D.

As much as I like Horny, he's only signed for a year after this one, and we should be wary about giving him a big money extension. Landeskog would take care of that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My worry about adding another top end wing is that you end up getting less than their full value when they can't play on the powerplay. Lando is a 45ish point ES player. That may go up a bit here, but is it enough to be worth paying him what he costs and downgrading our defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad