Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster-Building Part XIX | Yakety Yak (Contract + Cap Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I wonder what the media/Pens PR will stoop to if Murray badly outplays Fleury. They'll probably start using Murray's quotes after a loss and say how much better a teammate Fleury is.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They'll just blame Murray, the players and the org for that.

Seriously, that is 75% of all Pens fans in Pittsbrugh. I am not kidding.

The vast majority of people i talk to here in the area feel that exact way. The media here has convinced people that Fleury is an elite goalie.

You talk to them and these points
come up again and again.

1) "we don't even make make the playoffs without Fleury."

2) "HE WON US A CUP!"

Interjection.."Ok yeah, but what did Matt Murray just do?

3) " nothing that Fleury wouldn't have done if he was in there.".

This city loves them some Fleury. He is their guy, and that's it.

Well... they're stupid heads.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I vote Kunitz for anyone at 16-20 (even Sharp), even if we have to retain some salary.

If all 19 other LWs came to the Pens and said we will do a 1:1 trade for Kunitz...I would do it. Hands down, no questions asked.

I can't see Cullen being moved before the season even starts.

Even during the season it's a huge long shot. Longer than Yak coming here.

Yeah, absolutely not. When I think of the list of no trade players all things considered - Sid, Geno, Letang...then Cullen to be honest. Not because Cullen is our 4th best player but the role he plays at that cost given the terms of why he's here...not a chance a GM trades him. Was it actually suggested?

Right. Never communicate with other people again, facebook moron.

Facebook is a sad place to go looking for actual Penguins hockey talk.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I hate beating a dead horse (actually I love it), but I couldn't get the thought out my head last night that Yakupov would be an interesting look on Geno's RW. We keep trying spare parts and nothing seems to fit. If the cost is cheap, why not give it a shot?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The phrase "spare parts" doesn't apply to this Pens team, IMO. Guys like Wilson, Guenztel, Sheary, etc. aren't the Joe Vitales of Pens prospects. They have legit skill and possible top 6 talent.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
okay, even if MAF is slightly better than murray(disagree, murray is better already imo) but do people not get that murray is 5 million cheaper and 8 yrs younger??? murray is faaar more valuable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't even know that Yakupov has a higher ceiling than Fehr to be honest, that's a stretch in my eyes. I honestly think a fully healthy Fehr is more productive and significantly more effective along Malkin for 82 games than a fully healthy Yakupov.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The phrase "spare parts" doesn't apply to this Pens team, IMO. Guys like Wilson, Guenztel, Sheary, etc. aren't the Joe Vitales of Pens prospects. They have legit skill and possible top 6 talent.

honestly we have a sneaky good young forward group. simon,sundy,dipaulie,sprong,rust, archibald looked fast and looks like a nice fit aswell.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I look at this way, I always thought that a team had to be at least 3 different parts; skill, speed and size/grit/toughness.

Well last year, the Pens had very little of the latter and they dominated through the playoffs. I say double down on the speed and skill. Fehr is lumbering, replace him with Yakupov, who is electric and now take a look at the Pens lineup. SIZZLE comes to mind

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't even know that Yakupov has a higher ceiling than Fehr to be honest, that's a stretch in my eyes. I honestly think a fully healthy Fehr is more productive and significantly more effective along Malkin for 82 games than a fully healthy Yakupov.

and yak is more expensive, less versatile. i wouldnt trade fehr for yak, only for picks and complete salary relief, but kunitz for yak, yes please, less expensive and wont be in the lineup automatically if hes awful, like kunitz.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Facebook is good for keeping in touch with people you don't actually want to talk to on a regular basis and looking at thousands of selfies/pictures of people's kids. Anyone who goes there seeking intelligent conversation on anything, let alone sports, will always leave disappointed.

If Yak was dirt cheap and we had the cap space I wouldn't be opposed to taking a flyer on him, they've had some other good reclamation projects and it's not hard to believe that being in Edmonton is a contributing factor to his busting. I can't think of anyone on the roster I'd realistically trade him out one-for-one, though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, absolutely not. When I think of the list of no trade players all things considered - Sid, Geno, Letang...then Cullen to be honest. Not because Cullen is our 4th best player but the role he plays at that cost given the terms of why he's here...not a chance a GM trades him. Was it actually suggested?

Agreed. The only way Cullen doesn't finish the season here is if A) PIT is not going to make the playoffs or B) if he asks for a trade. Baring those two circumstances, there's no chance that Rutherford even considers trading him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
bout the same price as Fehr, now get back to me who has more upside potential???

We know what we have in Fehr. The league knows what Fehr is. I would say at the price, Fehr is more valuable than Yakupov with whom you have no idea if he's reached in his potential or not. Fehr is a center and wing who is physical and can PK. Yakupov is soft, low IQ wing only that struggles.

If we had a rash of injuries that took our a couple top 6 wings for the reason...I'd consider throwing a 3rd Edmonton's way for him. As is, healthy with the current crop of youngsters, no. I'd rather stick with Fehr.

Agreed.

Agreed. The only way Cullen doesn't finish the season here is if A) PIT is not going to make the playoffs or B) if he asks for a trade. Baring those two circumstances, there's no chance that Rutherford even considers trading him.

Absolutely. When you read about how important a guy like Cullen was to the run, I could see teams wanting him but us saying flat out no.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Whether we get Yakupov or other, the bottom line for me is Malkin needs a line and I don't see one for him right now. He needs some help. I don't think we can choose two among Kunitz, Sheary, Rust and Wilson and just see what happens. I think we all know what will happen: Malkin will rack up PP points, get increasingly frustrated five and five and spend more time on Crosby's line to get him going.

There are waiver-eligible players who will be made available in the coming days that I believe might be decent fits on Malkin's line...guys like Leivo in Toronto, Pulkkinen in Detroit and how about that Martin Frk kid from last night? He has some serious hands! There is also Stanislav Galiev in Washington, Sven Andrighetto in Montreal, et al.

You don't even have to put these guys in the lineup right away, you can send them to the press box and give those who helped us win the Cup the first opportunity.

The way I see it, this is a cheaper way to solve the problem. Sooner or later, we will need to address the wingers for Malkin issue yet again.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yakupov's value right now is astronomically low according to various credible sources. Like "he might end up on waivers" level value. Chiarelli wants to move him really badly right now, so Yakupov's value is nearly zero right now. Teams realize that Yakupov is bad, unlike some on this board :laugh:

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yakupov's value right now is astronomically low according to various credible sources. Like "he might end up on waivers" level value. Chiarelli wants to move him really badly right now, so Yakupov's value is nearly zero right now. Teams realize that Yakupov is bad, unlike some on this board :laugh:

I see potential, a lot of untapped potential. No guarantee he ever will ever live up to it though and I admit that. But if it costs little, why not take a flier.

And responding to Seal, you listed Fehr's positives and listed all of Yak's negatives. I'm not sure that is an honest telling of the whole picture.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
And responding to Seal, you listed Fehr's positives and listed all of Yak's negatives. I'm not sure that is an honest telling of the whole picture.

What are Yak's positives? Not prospective positives, actually positives he's show on the ice at the NHL level.

Speed is the only one I can think of that is universally agreed on. His shot seems to be anywhere from superb to good enough.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Whether we get Yakupov or other, the bottom line for me is Malkin needs a line and I don't see one for him right now. He needs some help. I don't think we can choose two among Kunitz, Sheary, Rust and Wilson and just see what happens. I think we all know what will happen: Malkin will rack up PP points, get increasingly frustrated five and five and spend more time on Crosby's line to get him going.

There are waiver-eligible players who will be made available in the coming days that I believe might be decent fits on Malkin's line...guys like Leivo in Toronto, Pulkkinen in Detroit and how about that Martin Frk kid from last night? He has some serious hands! There is also Stanislav Galiev in Washington, Sven Andrighetto in Montreal, et al.

You don't even have to put these guys in the lineup right away, you can send them to the press box and give those who helped us win the Cup the first opportunity.

The way I see it, this is a cheaper way to solve the problem. Sooner or later, we will need to address the wingers for Malkin issue yet again.

I'm not so sure. Is Pulkkinen better than Wilson or Guenztel? What about Simon? What does it say to our young kids who are all still fighting for a spot to send them down and then bring in a waiver wire guy? With that, are these pick ups going to be impact players for us?

For the good of the organization, I believe we need to thorough vet what prospects we currently have before we pick up anyone on waivers.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
What are Yak's positives? Not prospective positives, actually positives he's show on the ice at the NHL level.

Speed is the only one I can think of that is universally agreed on. His shot seems to be anywhere from superb to good enough.

You answered your own question but you poopoo your answer.

Skating, Strength on your skates and shot are HUGE assets in Hockey. And we aren't talking about good speed, we are talking about one of the quickest guys with flat out speed in the league.

Again, I watched a lot Yak 2 years ago. The first two months of the season, he looked like a BEAST. Practically every shift ended in a scoring opportunity, HE STOOD OUT. Then, Edmonton as a team hit a rut and Yakupov game seemed to go the way of the rest of team. I can't tell you what happened, I have zero insight.

But my love for YAK comes directly from my own eyeballs, not scouting reports or coaches with an agenda.

If he were to recapture even the slightest of his game that I saw, it would be a HUGE upgrade to the Penguins Wing Group..

Low risk, small cap number, limited contract makes it to me as a deal JR should go after. This is the type of low risk move that could push the Pens back for another cup run. AS OF RIGHT NOW... we still have HUGE question marks at wing. Yes, Yak is a question mark, but he at least has showed he can score in this league, something the other Penguin question marks have not.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Do you realize how bad Martin St. Louis was three years into his NHL career? Or what about Guy Lafleur?

The ONLY reason why I have interest in Yakupov right now is because he has virtually no value.

If he had value, we couldn't afford him.

I'm not so sure. Is Pulkkinen better than Wilson or Guenztel? What about Simon? What does it say to our young kids who are all still fighting for a spot to send them down and then bring in a waiver wire guy? With that, are these pick ups going to be impact players for us?

For the good of the organization, I believe we need to thorough vet what prospects we currently have before we pick up anyone on waivers.

Simon is irrelevant to this discussion because he was already sent down. Like a Sprong. Both might be options, but not now.

Geno needs somebody who can score on his line, right now.

Guentzel is another great setup man for the future. I doubt he meshes well with Geno unless somebody on the other wing can score.

I saw nothing from Wilson last night that made me feel any better about Malkin's line.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Do you realize how bad Martin St. Louis was three years into his NHL career? Or what about Guy Lafleur?

The ONLY reason why I have interest in Yakupov right now is because he has virtually no value.

If he had value, we couldn't afford him.

Simon is irrelevant to this discussion because he was already sent down. Like a Sprong. Both might be options, but not now.

Geno needs somebody who can score on his line, right now.

Guentzel is another great setup man for the future. I doubt he meshes well with Geno unless somebody on the other wing can score.

I saw nothing from Wilson last night that made me feel any better about Malkin's line.

Actually, I think having the guy who knows how to support Geno (when to get him the puck, work the give and go, give space or help, etc) is more important than a finisher. The former helps Geno get to his game. The latter helps Geno accrue more regular season assists.

In an ideal world, the Pens would be interested in finding him both, as he's had at the more dominant moments of his career.

For example, Guetzel-Malkin-Sprong might make quite the fascinating line in about 18-24 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad