Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster-Building Part XIX | Yakety Yak (Contract + Cap Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I vote Kunitz for anyone at 16-20 (even Sharp), even if we have to retain some salary.

Foligno played more right wing than left last season, and should play RW again this year. Rick Nash is expected to play RW this season. Jaden Schwartz is hurt and Johnny Hockey is an un-signed restricted free agent.

So right now, we are sitting on the 11th best left-winger in the NHL, Chris Kunitz.

Who. Knew.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
i don't think this year being the end of kunitz is unrealistic at all

i mean as far as we know kunitz has been almost moved or in heavy consideration for being moved on 3 occasions in the last two years

Yes, he was almost moved on 3 occasions. However in every case, that transaction was to bring in someone who was clearly better than Kunitz. Looking around the league, the odds of someone like that being available today (and who we can afford), appears to be pretty slim.

wilson is being put in a prime spot where he will visibly outplay kunitz every night. sully is speaking highly of kuhn and his upside, and obviously really believes in all the kids he coached in wbs. regardless of the effusive praise everyone in the org is contractually required to give him, kunitz is still trending down and this will be his worst season yet. especially considering they'll be playing sully's system which demands a higher tempo and takes away the everyone sucked under johnston excuses

something has to give at some point. maybe, just maybe, when kunitz starts putting in effort right around the tdl again, jr doesn't blink this time

Three critical things here that you missed/omitted.
1) What you should have written is that you hope he will visibly outplay Kunitz every night. I hope he does as well. But until he actually does it, hope doesn't get you very far. And even if he does, that still doesn't make it likely that JR will trade him.

2) I see nothing here that talks about the praise Kunitz receives from Sully and Rutherford. We can't stand him, but they love him. There's a reason why Kunitz's TOI increased under Sully from when MJ was here (~1+ minute per game).

3) When was the last time a team that see's themselves as a contender moved players off their roster? Hell Shero bragged about how in 2012 he brought in all those players without moving someone off the roster. GMs do not like doing that. They want to add to their team, not subtract from it. Now the cap plays a real part in this, so there's that. But unless Kunitz is getting moved for a better Kunitz (who we can afford), the odds of him getting traded is very slim. Hell I'd put higher odds on him getting an extension before him getting traded.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I could see a scenario where JR wants all of Wilson, Rust and Sheary in the lineup, or Guentzel forces their hand. That would be reason to trade Kunitz. Not to get a better version of Kunitz, but to let all three younger wingers play regularly. Fehr is more versatile and valuable than Kunitz at this point, and Kuhnhackl is dirt cheap and extremely reliable. No other forward is coming out of the lineup, unless...

I just noticed that the Wild still haven't solved their 4C hole. They were rumored to have interest in Cullen on July 1, and then it tapered off. I wonder if JR would move Cullen to Minny to give Guentzel a job? Both Guentzel or Fehr could play the 4C role until Sundqvist is ready to take over.

I would like to see Guentzel get some NHL time this season in case he has to take over the 3C role next season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I could see a scenario where JR wants all of Wilson, Rust and Sheary in the lineup, or Guentzel forces their hand. That would be reason to trade Kunitz. Not to get a better version of Kunitz, but to let all three younger wingers play regularly. Fehr is more versatile and valuable than Kunitz at this point, and Kuhnhackl is dirt cheap and extremely reliable. No other forward is coming out of the lineup, unless...

I just noticed that the Wild still haven't solved their 4C hole. They were rumored to have interest in Cullen on July 1, and then it tapered off. I wonder if JR would move Cullen to Minny to give Guentzel a job? Both Guentzel or Fehr could play the 4C role until Sundqvist is ready to take over.

I would like to see Guentzel get some NHL time this season in case he has to take over the 3C role next season.
I would rather send them Fehr for a pick than move Cullen and if Cullen is moved, Sundqvist would probably get that role. Guentzel I see as a replacement for Bonino if/when Bonino moves on.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would think Fehr goes before Cullen, unless Cullen falls off a cliff and Fehr rebounds. Even then, we'll be too stocked up on guys who can play on our 4th line next season to keep either, IMO.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I wouldn't even consider moving Cullen, at all. If we are going to run three scoring lines, we should give most of the defensive zone draws to our fourth line, where Cullen fits like a glove.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Yes, he was almost moved on 3 occasions. However in every case, that transaction was to bring in someone who was clearly better than Kunitz. Looking around the league, the odds of someone like that being available today (and who we can afford), appears to be pretty slim.

Three critical things here that you missed/omitted.
1) What you should have written is that you hope he will visibly outplay Kunitz every night. I hope he does as well. But until he actually does it, hope doesn't get you very far. And even if he does, that still doesn't make it likely that JR will trade him.

2) I see nothing here that talks about the praise Kunitz receives from Sully and Rutherford. We can't stand him, but they love him. There's a reason why Kunitz's TOI increased under Sully from when MJ was here (~1+ minute per game).

3) When was the last time a team that see's themselves as a contender moved players off their roster? Hell Shero bragged about how in 2012 he brought in all those players without moving someone off the roster. GMs do not like doing that. They want to add to their team, not subtract from it. Now the cap plays a real part in this, so there's that. But unless Kunitz is getting moved for a better Kunitz (who we can afford), the odds of him getting traded is very slim. Hell I'd put higher odds on him getting an extension before him getting traded.

wilson is better than kunitz and it will be very apparent. i mean cmon

the praise of kunitz is as always nonsensical but scuderi got the same kind of talk up until he disappeared. what caused that? he was keeping too many younger guys down and the coaches wouldn't take him out. jr didn't try him in three trades because he's married to the guy

his ice time may have went up during the season when all the injuries hit after sully came in. but his ice time in the playoffs was the lowest ever since he joined the team

i'm not saying he will definitely be traded. but not in the lineup? they are high on these kids, and at this point kunitz's huge scoreless steaks are a yearly occurrence. i'm a dreamer and until they crush me again i'm going to believe they will see the obvious

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
wilson is better than kunitz and it will be very apparent. i mean cmon

the praise of kunitz is as always nonsensical but scuderi got the same kind of talk up until he disappeared. what caused that? he was keeping too many younger guys down and the coaches wouldn't take him out. jr didn't try him in three trades because he's married to the guy

his ice time may have went up during the season when all the injuries hit after sully came in. but his ice time in the playoffs was the lowest ever since he joined the team

i'm not saying he will definitely be traded. but not in the lineup? they are high on these kids, and at this point kunitz's huge scoreless steaks are a yearly occurrence. i'm a dreamer and until they crush me again i'm going to believe they will see the obvious

The difference is Scuds got talked up for his intangibles, while Kunitz finds a way to put up respectable point totals and he does the things Scuds was also lauded for.

I thought Kunitz had good chemistry with Rust, even more so than Malkin to be honest.

Sullivan also seems to think Kunitz is really swell.

Basically Kunitz can go like ten games without scoring, then pot a goal and the reset button is pushed on his time in the top six. It's like a bad dream, but the guy can cash in his almost unlimited rep points to hang in the top six until he actually does something productive.

I don't see what will ever change that.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The difference is Scuds got talked up for his intangibles, while Kunitz finds a way to put up respectable point totals and he does the things Scuds was also lauded for.

I thought Kunitz had good chemistry with Rust, even more so than Malkin to be honest.

Basically Kunitz can go like ten games without scoring, then pot a goal and the reset button is pushed on his time in the top six. It's like a bad dream, but the guy can cash in his almost unlimited rep points to hang in the top six until he actually does something productive.

I think we underestimate Sully's ability to detach himself from the players. He benched Geno. He sat Flower where any other coach would fall for the cry of the PGH media to get him in. I think as soon as Kunitz starts sucking, and that will be early in the season, he's gone

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Rust has enough similarities to Dupuis for Kunitz to work well with him I think. He also helps make up for Kunitz's complete lack of foot speed. I don't like Kunitz in the lineup, but assuming he's going to be there, I think the spot that he fits the best is with Malkin and Rust.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think we underestimate Sully's ability to detach himself from the players. He benched Geno. He sat Flower where any other coach would fall for the cry of the PGH media to get him in. I think as soon as Kunitz starts sucking, and that will be early in the season, he's gone

I'd like to believe that, but Kunitz is the Teflon Don.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's crazy that they'd put Kunitz up there and not Hagelin when they have similar points and Hagelin was much more vital to our success and turn around last year.

Whole list is whacky. For one thing, I don't think Rick Nash even plays left wing. For another, there's no chance there's 9 more effective left wings than Ovechkin. For all he doesn't do, he scores freaking 50 goals every single year in an era where nobody does that.

Tatar as way better than Saad...

Whole list makes no sense.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Are some people suggesting that we trade Cullen?

He won't be moved other than at the deadline to someone like Minnesota. It depends on how he plays as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I doubt it. Someone else would go before Kunitz. Fehr maybe, or whichever of the kids is doing the least well. I think the org values Kunitz way too much to move him just to create roster space. I mean he'd pretty much have to stop skating with the kids doing 2-3 times what they did last season for that to even become a possibility. And then there's always the question of "is this a hot streak".

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Cullen came back for the sole purpose of winning another Cup here. I don't see a scenario where he doesn't end the season - and his career - in a Penguins uniform.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
dNVvntX.gif

:laugh: What a garbage list.

But hey, if the Avs want to do a Kunitz for Landy swap, I'd take them up on it.

Kunitz's ranking is a testament to the two best 'by the numbers' centers in hockey. That list. Wow. Just wow. :help:

I'd like to believe that, but Kunitz is the Teflon Don.

I'm waiting for the Kunitz contract extension myself.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

You can't be serious. JR is not moving Cullen after he contemplated retirement and chose to come back to play in Pittsburgh.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Via Facebook:

Dave Kostka: Fleury is a future Hall of Famer who is in his prime right now, Murray is a good backup. Murray getting hurt was a major blessing in disguise for the Pens. Now hopefully we don't have to hear about any controversy regarding who the #1 goaltender should be. I hope they trade Murray before the deadline this year and commit to Fleury as the unquestioned starter for at least the next few years.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Via Facebook:

Dave Kostka: Fleury is a future Hall of Famer who is in his prime right now, Murray is a good backup. Murray getting hurt was a major blessing in disguise for the Pens. Now hopefully we don't have to hear about any controversy regarding who the #1 goaltender should be. I hope they trade Murray before the deadline this year and commit to Fleury as the unquestioned starter for at least the next few years.

Right. Never communicate with other people again, facebook moron.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Right. Never communicate with other people again, facebook moron.

Seriously, that is 75% of all Pens fans in Pittsburgh. I am not kidding.

The vast majority of people i talk to here in the area feel that exact way. The media here has convinced people that Fleury is an elite goalie.

You talk to them and these points
come up again and again.

1) "we don't even make make the playoffs without Fleury."

2) "HE WON US A CUP!"

Interjection.."Ok yeah, but what did Matt Murray just do?

3) " nothing that Fleury wouldn't have done if he was in there.".

This city loves them some Fleury. He is their guy, and that's it.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
via facebook:

Dave kostka: Fleury is a future hall of famer who is in his prime right now, murray is a good backup. Murray getting hurt was a major blessing in disguise for the pens. Now hopefully we don't have to hear about any controversy regarding who the #1 goaltender should be. I hope they trade murray before the deadline this year and commit to fleury as the unquestioned starter for at least the next few years.

lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad