Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part XIV | Contract/FA charts in post #1 | Cap set at $73M

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This offseason has sort of been a bust thus far. I really wanted JR to have a killer instinct.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
That Demers contract is pretty good imo. Wish we could have made room for 4.5m top 4 defenseman. But, you know, family, a.k.a MAF and Kunitz.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This offseason has sort of been a bust thus far. I really wanted JR to have a killer instinct.

But at what cost? I like what JR did last year. Do you really trust him to make all the right moves? I seriously think the only move out there was MB but we don't know if he would have taken 4m from the Pens. We seriously don't. Maybe he wanted to stay out west.

We also don't really know if JR has feelers out there for other teams. I find it very weird that Cullen wasn't already signed and on hold. To me, that tells me something is happening or might have happened but didn't work out in JR's favor.

I agree that I wanted this team not to be happy they won a Cup but hungry for another, but I am thinking this COULD be one of those times doing nothing is better than doing something. It was mayhem yesterday. I don't know if JR would have dipped in with the wrong move to set us back or not.

I really do think this is a wait and see through the rest of the year.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

We've had a decent offseason. No need to make big moves. Disappointing to still have Fleury but hey ho.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That Demers contract is pretty good imo. Wish we could have made room for 4.5m top 4 defenseman. But, you know, family, a.k.a MAF and Kunitz.

We would have just lost him to the expansion draft in a year and we have Daley already as the 2nd pair RD.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Just saw that Jacques Martin was extended for two years, and JR confirmed Gonch was back next year to work with the D men (per DK). Really glad to hear that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I would've loved for JR to pull some magic and find a way to land either Boedker or Demers. That would've required moving Kunitz and/or MAF, both moves I want to happen regardless.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
can someone help explain this to me? I'm not exactly a salary cap guru or know future cap projections

but everyone seemed to want to dump Kunitz so they could sign a guy like Boedker to a long term deal

but isnt one of the appealing this about Kunitz is his contract expires after this year?

same with Fleury... I dont think any of us expect him to be on the Pens at this point next year.... if we did trade him, I dont know what kind of salary we'd add in return... but his salary coming off the books will give us a good chunk of cap space

but dont we need to save some long term money to be able to lock up guys like Murray and Dumoulin to long term deals by next summer, as well as potentially Bonino and Daley?

and wouldnt dumping Kunitz to sign a guy like Boedker really put them in a tight spot for next year's cap? dumping Fleury and someone like Fehr wont be enough to keep the guys listed above....

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
can someone help explain this to me? I'm not exactly a salary cap guru or know future cap projections

but everyone seemed to want to dump Kunitz so they could sign a guy like Boedker to a long term deal

but isnt one of the appealing this about Kunitz is his contract expires after this year?

same with Fleury... I dont think any of us expect him to be on the Pens at this point next year.... if we did trade him, I dont know what kind of salary we'd add in return... but his salary coming off the books will give us a good chunk of cap space

but dont we need to save some long term money to be able to lock up guys like Murray and Doumoulin to long term deals, as well as potentially Bonino and Daley?

and wouldnt dumping Kunitz to sign a guy like Boedker really put them in a tight spot for next year's cap? dumping Fleury and someone like Fehr wont be enough to keep the guys listed above....

Fluery is under cap until 2019. Would think we want no retention but might have too

If we traded Kunitz we would have had $2.4m based on current signings, not enough.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Obviously pre-season favorites mean nothing, but a possibility of the East's final four being Florida/Tampa and Pittsburgh/Washington. Pretty ****ing good matchups.

But so much changes in an NHL season. I highly doubt those 4 teams are all there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the expansion draft is weighing more heavily on the front office than people think.

Yeah, if nothing else, Kunitz is extremely attractive because his contract ends in a year. He won't prevent any extensions to Dumoulin or Bonino (if we choose to re-sign him) and he doesn't need protected from the expansion draft.

My guess is that JR didn't want to add any big long term players due to the expansion draft and the raises of Dumoulin and Bonino in a year, and he kept Fleury because Murray is still pretty unproven over a NHL season still and we'll have the other if one goes down to injury.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the expansion draft is weighing more heavily on the front office than people think.

Just so I understand what you are saying...

You are basically saying Pens will make moves next year instead of moving out a player just to see him get picked off for expansion?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

but dont we need to save some long term money to be able to lock up guys like Murray and Dumoulin to long term deals, as well as potentially Bonino and Daley?

I would be surprised if we keep Bonino and Daley. Would not be surprised if both walk TBH. MM, Dumo, Pouliot, Sundqvist, Sheary are all due for raises next year. Bones will almost certainly be looking for 20 mil+. Daley 15 mil+.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just so I understand what you are saying...

You are basically saying Pens will make moves next year instead of moving out a player just to see him get picked off for expansion?

Are you saying that as if it is unreasonable? That doesn't seem to farfetched.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
GMJR should be doing everything possible to get Mike Hoffman in a pens sweater. Ottawa is primed to **** up that situation because there cheap.

I actually think Hoffman would be the perfect winger for Sid and Horny.
He would bring the speed and deadly shot Horny is missing and his meh boardplay could be neutralized by Sid and Horny.
But I don't see any way how we can fit him in. He's been underpaid for a few years now and the least I can see him sign for would be $5.5m.

Id take Kane if they free us from MAF

No team in their right mind would trade their absolutely loved, by fans as well as by the players, years long number one goaltender for Evander Kane. That idea is ridiculous.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
I would be surprised if we keep Bonino and Daley. Would not be surprised if both walk TBH. MM, Dumo, Pouliot, Sundqvist, Sheary are all do for raises next year. Bones will almost certainly be looking for 20 mil+. Daley 15 mil+.

so regardless.... wouldnt people rather have Kunitz for 1 year + his salary coming off the books for next year than Boedker on a 4 year deal?

personally, I'd rather lock up Dumo and Murray.... and then figure out what else to do with the open cap space

trading Kunitz and using that salary past this season would seem to really clog up the cap and make things tight and difficult to keep some of the guys listed above

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Are you saying that as if it is unreasonable? That doesn't seem to farfetched.

I've known HSL for a long time. I'm just making sure I understood his POV. I actually think it's a very reasonable and accurate point. I was just making sure that's what he meant before agreeing. :laugh:

I was literally just clarifying.

Call me crazy, but... yes. :laugh:

No.. I think you are right. Especially because we are in need of the trade route. Why hand over assets and then immediately have the player plucked. It's a good point.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Did Florida get that much better? Swapped out D-men. Campbell, Gudbranson and Kulikov out for Yandle, Demers and Psysk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad