Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Murray were to lead this team to the Cup or the Finals, you absolutely cannot just relegate him to playing 30-ish games next year. That's crazy. You'll have a goaltending nightmare if you try to manage things this way.

If Murray leads the team to a Cup, you have to peg him as your starter next season.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hope Bennett gets a 1-year deal this off-season. He'd fit perfectly on Geno's RW.

I'd certainly hang on to him and encourage him to stay on here.
Remember Muzzin?
I'd probably hang on to him until this next round of expansion is done, as long as he still wants to play.

Also with how all these UFA's played in the playoffs the only winger i'd be interested in signing in FA'y is Eriksson and maybe Boedker but i'm 99.9% sure he re-ups in Colorado.

Gonna watch Demers closely here in round 2.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
and if the offense leads the team to a Cup with Murray playing well enough to win? That's not quite the same thing.

Same answer. If the Pens win the cup with a 21 year old goalie (with his track record of consistency), that goalie should be your starter from then on.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wonder what Dallas would want for Nuke. I know he has been somewhat disappointing this year, but he still has all the tools in the world. Dallas has plenty of young forwards coming up soon, so I could see them moving Nuke. Pouliot is the obvious guy, but I wonder if he could be had for less. Or Nuke+ for Pouliot.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I wonder what Dallas would want for Nuke. I know he has been somewhat disappointing this year, but he still has all the tools in the world. Dallas has plenty of young forwards coming up soon, so I could see them moving Nuke. Pouliot is the obvious guy, but I wonder if he could be had for less. Or Nuke+ for Pouliot.

Well, they will be losing Gogo, Demers and Russell this summer to free agency and Pouliot would be an ideal Gogo replacement for them. For us, we can easily replace Pouliot with Schultz assuming he'd be willing to sign @ a large discount. Its in his best interests and after witnessing a taste of winning and going far in the playoffs, he'll want to stay... especially after seeing what we did to Niskanen, the faith management has in him and the fact that Gonchar was such a big help. Its a no-brainer for him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well, they will be losing Gogo, Demers and Russell this summer to free agency and Pouliot would be an ideal Gogo replacement for them. For us, we can easily replace Pouliot with Schultz assuming he'd be willing to sign @ a large discount. Its in his best interests and after witnessing a taste of winning and going far in the playoffs, he'll want to stay... especially after seeing what we did to Niskanen, the faith management has in him and the fact that Gonchar was such a big help. Its a no-brainer for him.

It's only a no brainer if he gets to play again in the playoffs. Riding pine so Lovejoy and Cole can play is probably a bit frustrating. That said, I could see him being sold on signing a 1 year deal to rebound his career.

I'm still hesitant to move Pouliot. The guy is still young and I thought was playing some good hockey before he was benched. Plus we don't have much in the minors behind him while we have a few forwards. Expansion rules could change my mind though. As it stands, the most likely scenario is the Pens losing him or a goalie.

I love Nuke's skillset though so I'd probably pull the trigger.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Wilson-Malkin-Nuke
Hagelin-Bones-Kessel
Kuhn-Cullen-Rust
Fehr

Maatta-Letang
Dumo-Daley
Cole-Schultz
depth dude

That looks really, really good. Then for expansion, you go the 7 F, 3 D route protecting Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Nuke, Hagelin, and whatever kid breaks out the most. Probably Sheary at this point.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

Some Dallas fans seem to be willing to deal Nuke for Fleury, if we take Lehtonen and his contract with him without retaining. If Dallas needs defensemen we could possibly free up some cap-space by telling them to take Cole as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's only a no brainer if he gets to play again in the playoffs. Riding pine so Lovejoy and Cole can play is probably a bit frustrating. That said, I could see him being sold on signing a 1 year deal to rebound his career.

I'm still hesitant to move Pouliot. The guy is still young and I thought was playing some good hockey before he was benched. Plus we don't have much in the minors behind him while we have a few forwards. Expansion rules could change my mind though. As it stands, the most likely scenario is the Pens losing him or a goalie.

I love Nuke's skillset though so I'd probably pull the trigger.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Wilson-Malkin-Nuke
Hagelin-Bones-Kessel
Kuhn-Cullen-Rust
Fehr

Maatta-Letang
Dumo-Daley
Cole-Schultz
depth dude

That looks really, really good. Then for expansion, you go the 7 F, 3 D route protecting Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Nuke, Hagelin, and whatever kid breaks out the most. Probably Sheary at this point.

If Wilson comes back equal or better than when he went out, I really like that lineup. Worst case, you can slot Fehr or Sundqvist in there too or one at 4C if Cullen retires.

Nuke will want a raise, I believe this off season, so if you send MAF out you have the flexibility to do so.

If Murray is going to be your starter, or more - you are going to move forward with him as your starter, you trade MAF and take advantage of Murray's ELC. Load up in that time and try for a cup or two. Bringing someone like Nuke in supports that. Can't afford to waste some of these young cheap guys and Murray's ELC. Penguins have been given a second chance here. It needs to be managed correctly and taken advantage of. All things considered, this is your second window. If you don't take advantage, when it's all done, Sid and Geno will be 33-34 and you'll have an aged roster.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Some Dallas fans seem to be willing to deal Nuke for Fleury, if we take Lehtonen and his contract with him without retaining. If Dallas needs defensemen we could possibly free up some cap-space by telling them to take Cole as well.

I would to that and then expose Lehtonen. He's still a solid starter. However, that would present a challenge where we would have to figure out what to do with with expansion draft. If you go the 3D, 7F route, Pouliot is exposed. If you go the 8 skater route to protect Pouliot, then a guy like Hagelin, Nuke, or Kessel is exposed. There are no easy answers, obviously, but at least for a year, that could be really interesting.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I think that only applies if he's playing. If he doesn't play another PO game, that will probably temper his interest - even if we assure him that Lovejoy won't be coming back.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I would to that and then expose Lehtonen. He's still a solid starter. However, that would present a challenge where we would have to figure out what to do with with expansion draft. If you go the 3D, 7F route, Pouliot is exposed. If you go the 8 skater route to protect Pouliot, then a guy like Hagelin, Nuke, or Kessel is exposed. There are no easy answers, obviously, but at least for a year, that could be really interesting.

Go 3D and trade Pouliot for whatever you can get that wouldn't be exposed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That is a bug, not a feature. So much of Kessel's game is based on speed and speed is the first thing to go. At age 33, his cap number is probably going to be completely out of whack with his on ice performance. That's not a big deal to us, since we're thinking short term, but a fledgling franchise isn't going to be thinking short term.

On top of that, if I were Las Vegas, I would not want to be committing about $42 million in total dollars right out of the gate to anyone who couldn't be doing heavy lifting from a marketing standpoint. Kessel is just not the guy to do that.

I also cannot fathom how anyone could come to either the conclusion that Hagelin is easily replaceable or that Bennett is of any use to this franchise whatsoever. Both things are exactly backwards.

I have a hard time believing Kessel - an iron man with no leg injuries to speak of - would lose his speed at 33. Has that sort of thing ever happened?

I agree with you on Hagelin - he isn't replaceable, he's a key part of what we're doing here. As for Bennett, well, it might be prudent at this point to stop dismissing our young internal wing options out of hand. Sometimes they're better than people give them credit for, analytics be damned. ;)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Go 3D and trade Pouliot for whatever you can get that wouldn't be exposed.

Yup that's also an option. I guess it comes down to what the org thinks of Pouliot. If they think he is ready for top 4 minutes really soon, you probably want to keep him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I have a hard time believing Kessel - an iron man with no leg injuries to speak of - would lose his speed at 34. Has that sort of thing ever happened?

I agree with you on Hagelin - he isn't replaceable, he's a key part of what we're doing here. As for Bennett, well, it might be prudent at this point to stop dismissing our young internal wing options out of hand. Sometimes they're better than people give them credit for, analytics be damned. ;)

Agreed but it also might be time to move on from one when others are contributing while Bennett is consistently on IR. I'd be okay with re-signing him for 1 more year, but he'd have to earn his spot in the lineup again.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agreed but it also might be time to move on from one when others are contributing while Bennett is consistently on IR. I'd be okay with re-signing him for 1 more year, but he'd have to earn his spot in the lineup again.

For sure. But cheap, talented depth is something you always try to make room for. He was our best winger early this year before he went down, and I think that deserves one more kick at the can.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
**** Beau Bennett. I mean, the guy is not built to play professional hockey. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. He has no trade value either (obviously).

How many kicks at the can does he get? Infinite? Cause he's had just about that many thus far.

He's expendable.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
**** Beau Bennett. I mean, the guy is not built to play professional hockey. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. He has no trade value either (obviously).

How many kicks at the can does he get? Infinite? Cause he's had just about that many thus far.

He's expendable.

Wow. That's uh, pretty extreme.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Fair enough. It's just frustrating seeing the guy only able to string like 3 games together at a time. Tired of it. This team should be holding its players to high standards of professional while the Crosby Malkin era and Cup window stays open, not wasting time on "experiments" and things like Bennett.

I mean, then you have a guy like Letang on the same roster who had a stroke and has a hole in his heart, comes back and will probably get a Norris nod.

Get it together Beau.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Fair enough. It's just frustrating seeing the guy only able to string like 3 games together at a time. Tired of it. This team should be holding its players to high standards of professional while the Crosby Malkin era and Cup window stays open, not wasting time on "experiments" and things like Bennett.

When have they wasted time with Bennett?? They're wasting time and HAVE wasted time with players like scuderi and kunitz, if anything they haven't gave Bennett enough time.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

Yeah. I don't think it'd be too big of a burden if Lehtonen is unclaimed either. It'd be worth it to acquire Nuke. We'd save a bit of cap-space losing Cole and Fleury, I think it'd be wise to have a good quality backup for Murray his first full NHL season, we could possibly trade Lehtonen with some salary retained later down the road if we need cap-space.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
When have they wasted time with Bennett?? They're wasting time and HAVE wasted time with players like scuderi and kunitz, if anything they haven't gave Bennett enough time.

If 4 years isn't enough time I'm curious as to what is.

Kunitz has provided a value of tenfold compared to what Bennett has provided this year or any year during Bennett's tenure. It laughable to even make the comparison, even if you want Kunitz gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad