Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Is it really though? Look at how many games he has played the last number of seasons. The guy is simply unable to stay healthy in a professional hockey league.

Yeah, but I mean... "**** that guy?"

I have no problems moving on from Bennett. I think the sentiment that he should play hockey in a good Euro league with a lighter schedule is a really smart plan for him and might even get his NHL career back on track, eventually. But it's not like his star crossed foray into professional hockey to this point is his fault.

I guess I just find a lot of the raw vitriol thrown at Bennett as kind of weird. And I'm not just picking on you. I see it all over. I think the thing to feel for Bennett is mostly just bad. Not angry.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
It was less "**** Beau Bennett as a person" and more "**** Beau Bennett as a Pittsburgh Penguin".

You feel bad for Beau the first 3 extended periods he is injured. You don't feel bad once it becomes apparent he can't play in this league. Hockey teams aren't run on emotion or feeling bad.

Unless you are Ray Shero and are in love with Craig Adams. ;)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If 4 years isn't enough time I'm curious as to what is.

Kunitz has provided a value of tenfold compared to what Bennett has provided this year or any year during Bennett's tenure. It laughable to even make the comparison, even if you want Kunitz gone.

Bennett was much better than Kunitz when healthy

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't want us to count on Bennett as one of our starting 12 forwards. But if he does manage to stay healthy and earn a spot, great.

So lets say our options are to have a guy like Sundqvist as our 13th forward, or to have a guy like Bennett as our 13th forward with Sundqvist playing in the AHL. There's a lot more upside than downside to having Bennett as our 13th forward imo.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I don't get the BB hatred. Yes, he's an ambulance on skates. But other than 1/50 roster spots, what are we sacrificing? He's cheap and when healthy, plays at his salary if not above. When he's hurt, he's LTIR cushion (not much, but it's not a negative). And if it's not LT, it's almost as cheap a hit as you can get.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Bennett was much better than Kunitz when healthy

That doesn't matter. Bennett playing in and out of the lineup playing 1/3 of the season and none of the playoffs is not as valuable as a guy like Kunitz playing the whole season and playoffs even if he is only 1/2 the player Beau is (which would be cutting him short).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That doesn't matter. Bennett playing in and out of the lineup playing 1/3 of the season and none of the playoffs is not as valuable as a guy like Kunitz playing the whole season and playoffs even if he is only 1/2 the player Beau is (which would be cutting him short).

but what are we losing by making Bennett our 13th forward next year?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Id rather have kunitz not playing at all. So him playing all season doesn't really help.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's all up to Beau really.
As long as he wants to keep trying and at his current cap hit theres no risk at all.
He underperforms, you can just waive him.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'll be surprised if the give BB a QO. I see him in a Ducks sweater next season as a cheap UFA signing on their part.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
we are going to have 13 forwards though. If its not going to him it will go to someone else. Probably someone like Sundqvist who can play in the AHL if the Pens have another forward to be the 13th.

Or offseason UFA depth.

Anyway I get the argument for keeping him around. He's just been a MASSIVE disappointment is all. My grandmother is surely more durable than Beau.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
we are going to have 13 forwards though. If its not going to him it will go to someone else. Probably someone like Sundqvist who can play in the AHL if the Pens have another forward to be the 13th.

Fehr could be the 13th forward if they keep Sprong up. Bennett would be 14th.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Or offseason UFA depth.

Anyway I get the argument for keeping him around. He's just been a MASSIVE disappointment is all. My grandmother is surely more durable than Beau.

Sure. And if we let him go, I'd understand why. But I think he's worth one more shot as a 13th forward. When he's healthy, he's a 3rd liner with potential to be better than that.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Right. So what is your superior starting lineup look like Saturday night then? Are you putting Beau Bennett's spirit on Malkin's left wing?

You know the last time the argument "Who do you put in instead of Kunitz? The penguins have noone!" was used when Kunitz was stapled to Sid's left. Just sayin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad