GDT: 2016-17 NHL Playoffs Thread - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I have no idea what Chia has done to deserve a nomination. Basically inherited a team stocked with high 1st rounders and picks. Not sure that , that requires any skill.

He did trade for Maroon (Ana was paying part of his salary) signed Lucic Russell Kassian and Benning and traded Hall for Larson.

Not saying all of these are great but all of the above 4/5 players played significant roles in their year. Lucic/Maroon/Kassian ugh I miss tough hockey!

People acting like Poile adding Subban 4 Weber and ignoring Hall 4 Larson lack objectivity.

He also signed Talbot to a pretty nice deal ...

That said I really hope he doesn't win ...

Big off season for them though. They have to shed Eberle and Pouliout for .10 on the dollar. Those guys are embarassing!

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
He did trade for Maroon (Ana was paying part of his salary) signed Lucic Russell Kassian and Benning and traded Hall for Larson.

Not saying all of these are great but all of the above 4/5 players played significant roles in their year. Lucic/Maroon/Kassian ugh I miss tough hockey!

People acting like Poile adding Subban 4 Weber and ignoring Hall 4 Larson lack objectivity.

Big off season for them though. They have to shed Eberle and Pouliout for .10 on the dollar. Those guys are embarassing!

All that still doesn't equal the impact of McDavid alone. Chiarelli doesn't deserve to win, much less be nominated.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I like Larsson, but Hall is a better player and is worth more. Chia took the only deal he could. I'm sure he would have rather moved RNH, but nobody was biting. The last few years of that Lucic deal will look awful and McJesus makes Maroon. I could probably score 20 on his wing. I have no use for Kassian either.

Talbot was a good signing.

Chai's worst deal is one nobody even talks about. He dealt the 16 and 33 picks at the 2015 draft for Griffin Reinhart, a guy I saw quite a bit of in the AHL. I told HF friends that he was a bust a couple of years ago. So Chia gave up Barzal/Connor/Konecny and the 33rd pick (Carlo?), which the Isles used to move up a few spots and grab Beauvallier.

If Sweeney made that deal, people would be going nuts, but Chia gets nominated for GM of the year because he got lucky and landed a generational player :laugh:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I like Larsson, but Hall is a better player and is worth more. Chia took the only deal he could. I'm sure he would have rather moved RNH, but nobody was biting. The last few years of that Lucic deal will look awful and McJesus makes Maroon. I could probably score 20 on his wing. I have no use for Kassian either.

I don't agree with Chia's nomination, but even if you consider Hall a significantly better player, a first pairing D-man (even one with little offensive production) is more valuable than a winger, especially to that organisation. Everyone knew that, and hence the deal wasn't bad at all. Especially since Larsson is a still improving 24 year old D-man that goes 4.17M against the cap until 2021 while Hall is closer to his prime at 25 as a forward, and his contract goes 6M until 2020 when he'll be UFA.

Stone Roses

Dec 27, 2009

Talbot was a good signing.

Chai's worst deal is one nobody even talks about. He dealt the 16 and 33 picks at the 2015 draft for Griffin Reinhart, a guy I saw quite a bit of in the AHL. I told HF friends that he was a bust a couple of years ago. So Chia gave up Barzal/Connor/Konecny and the 33rd pick (Carlo?), which the Isles used to move up a few spots and grab Beauvallier.

If Sweeney made that deal, people would be going nuts, but Chia gets nominated for GM of the year because he got lucky and landed a generational player :laugh:

Everyone talks about character etc. (and I agree that is important) and to that respect Hall is a disaster in the locker room. I would expect Larsson to have a much less injury free career also given playing style.

I still don't get why Chia is hated here so much. He did a good job here, brought us a cup, got fired (nothing to say about that) and has not complained. What gives?!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Everyone talks about character etc. (and I agree that is important) and to that respect Hall is a disaster in the locker room. I would expect Larsson to have a much less injury free career also given playing style.

I still don't get why Chia is hated here so much. He did a good job here, brought us a cup, got fired (nothing to say about that) and has not complained. What gives?!

I appreciate what he did here, but think (unlike CHI) he held onto what he identified as the core for too long instead of retooling on the fly. Didn't like Krejci's deal (at the time said I would try to move him before the NMC kicked in) and thought he went for broke with the Iginla signing and it didn't work out.

He did some nice things in Boston, but also left them in a tough spot with an aging core and poor drafts.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Hahaha

nhl.com has Pittsburgh with 6 skaters but no goalie, presumably for a delayed call. First thought "well, might as well, 4 goals against on 9 shots, can't get much worse"

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Pittsburgh doesn't know what hit them yet. Ottawa has been dominant since the opening drop. They weren't prepared for them to come out so hard. Great strategy by Boucher.

Widdlez

Da Broons.
Apr 4, 2011
Genuinely don't understand how people here want ottawa to win.

As much as I hate pittsburgh I really don't want to see burrows or phaneuf anywhere near a cup let alone lifting one, and i sure as hell don't want the trap hockey they play to be popularized.

Cheering for the west either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad