Line Combos: 2016-17 Lineup Discussion, Playoff Edition - Who's Left?

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
That's a very soft defense. That said, Holzer isn't exactly physical so I do think it's best current lineup we can ice with no Stoner (although I don't agree on the pairs). It also allows everyone to play on their natural side.

I agree. Hard to pair a banged up Vatanen with Theo, who has been walked around a lot. Maybe it's because Sami isn't going to be able to shoot it like he normally does (Stephens commented that his shot was not up to par at practice), so they are just telling him to play a conservative D game. Fowler Montour is a good pairing, I would put Vats with Lindholm and Manson with Theo. That being said, I would limit Sami's minutes and have Manson playing a lot with Lindholm. I would also limit Theo's minutes for the same reasons.

Fowler-Montour
Lindholm-Vats
Theo-Manson

Basically, we run heavy minutes for Fowler, Montour, Lindholm and Manson. Theo on the PP and use Sami sparingly so he doesn't get re-injured.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I agree. Hard to pair a banged up Vatanen with Theo, who has been walked around a lot. Maybe it's because Sami isn't going to be able to shoot it like he normally does (Stephens commented that his shot was not up to par at practice), so they are just telling him to play a conservative D game. Fowler Montour is a good pairing, I would put Vats with Lindholm and Manson with Theo. That being said, I would limit Sami's minutes and have Manson playing a lot with Lindholm. I would also limit Theo's minutes for the same reasons.

Fowler-Montour
Lindholm-Vats
Theo-Manson

Basically, we run heavy minutes for Fowler, Montour, Lindholm and Manson. Theo on the PP and use Sami sparingly so he doesn't get re-injured.

If Vatanen is still that hurt, I'd rather just have Holzer in the lineup.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Fowler Montour
Lindholm Manson
Theo Vats

Solid puck movement. Somewhat soft-ish.

With Bieksa out I think I would actually like to see Holzer instead of Theodore. He would at least bring some physicality and I don't see him being defensively any worse than Theo right now.

That's a very soft defense. That said, Holzer isn't exactly physical so I do think it's best current lineup we can ice with no Stoner (although I don't agree on the pairs). It also allows everyone to play on their natural side.

He is more physical than Theodore. Holzer has 9.86 hits/60 min to Theo's 1.43. He is also bigger and has fought a few times in his career.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Well it sounds like Bieksa is doubtful and Vatanen may play.

If not holzer and theodore have to play.

If Vatanen can go, I hope theodore sits. I just don't trust him defensively.

Holzer can't do the things he can offensively, but he is pretty reliable in his own end. I think he also won't back down against guys like Maroon, Lucic, Kassian where as Theodore doesn't look like he could more than climb on their backs.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
He is more physical than Theodore. Holzer has 9.86 hits/60 min to Theo's 1.43. He is also bigger and has fought a few times in his career.

Everyone on the team is more physical than Theodore.

I wouldn't call Holzer a physical presence though just because he's more physical than Theodore. If the open spot was on the right side, I would prefer Holzer to Theodore, but I'll take Theo over Holzer on his wrong side. He's not nearly as consistent playing on the left.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014

I wouldn't call Holzer a physical presence though just because he's more physical than Theodore. If the open spot was on the right side, I would prefer Holzer to Theodore, but I'll take Theo over Holzer on his wrong side. He's not nearly as consistent playing on the left.

I would think Vatanen would be playing on the left side, didn't he do exactly that when paired with Bieksa?

Edit: Agree to disagree about the physicality, I think Holzer is more physical than anyone we have available not named Josh Manson.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

The open spot is on the right side.

I prefer Holzer Vatanen to Theodore Vatanen. Especially an injured Vatanen. Holzer may not be Bieksa level physical, but he can and will clear the crease, which neither of the other will do. We can't have two smurfs out against Kassian and Lucic.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I would think Vatanen would be playing on the left side, didn't he do exactly that when paired with Bieksa?

Edit: Agree to disagree about the physicality, I think Holzer is more physical than anyone we have available not named Josh Manson.

He and Holzer have both played on the left at times.

I'm not disagreeing with your last edited part either. I just don't think Holzer is that physical to where he's a must because of it. Stoner for example. He plays physical and brings that element to his game. IMO, Holzer doesn't. He's just more physical than other players. There's a big difference. Plus, I think Holzer on his offside is terrible.

The open spot is on the right side. .

His post IMO, insinuated that he thought Vatanen was in and Bieksa was out. Therefore:

Fowler-Montour
Lindholm-Manson
____-Vatanen

I prefer Holzer Vatanen to Theodore Vatanen. Especially an injured Vatanen. Holzer may not be Bieksa level physical, but he can and will clear the crease, which neither of the other will do. We can't have two smurfs out against Kassian and Lucic.

If Vatanen is that injured, he shouldn't play. If we really are discouraging from shooting, he's not game ready.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He and Holzer have both played on the left at times.

I'm not disagreeing with your last edited part either. I just don't think Holzer is that physical to where he's a must because of it. Stoner for example. He plays physical and brings that element to his game. IMO, Holzer doesn't. He's just more physical than other players. There's a big difference. Plus, I think Holzer on his offside is terrible.

His post IMO, insinuated that he thought Vatanen was in and Bieksa was out. Therefore:

Fowler-Montour
Lindholm-Manson
____-Vatanen

If Vatanen is that injured, he shouldn't play. If we really are discouraging from shooting, he's not game ready.

I don't care if he's injured or not, Vatanen isn't going to move Lucic or Kassian. Need some size on his pairing.

ChaseANA

Apr 12, 2015
If Carlyle is indeed on a one year deal like someone said, does Sutter become an option?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I saw someone say its one year with an option. I'm not sure at all because I don't know if that info is actually publicized.

I don't think it is formally made public like the players salaries are. But somehow, those insiders seem to have a pretty good read on it. I'll see if I can dig something up.

But regardless, Bob won't fire RC this year no matter what.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hmm...

I take that to mean he has a 2 year guaranteed deal with an option beyond that which could be triggered by undisclosed playoff success. Which is not t osay he couldn't be fired anyway, but I'm pretty certain that won't happen. But it does look like when he is replaced he will ride into the front office sunset.

BiasedDuck16

Dec 25, 2011
Canada
Hope we go to Bernier. Yes Gibby is the goalie of the future, but right now Berniers calm, cool attitude gives us the best chance to win.... Wasn't it 2010 when Price and Halak had that controversy? yea, price panned out okay.

ChaseANA

Apr 12, 2015
Hmm...

I take that to mean he has a 2 year guaranteed deal with an option beyond that which could be triggered by undisclosed playoff success. Which is not t osay he couldn't be fired anyway, but I'm pretty certain that won't happen. But it does look like when he is replaced he will ride into the front office sunset.

Thank you for finding this!!

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
Hope we go to Bernier. Yes Gibby is the goalie of the future, but right now Berniers calm, cool attitude gives us the best chance to win.... Wasn't it 2010 when Price and Halak had that controversy? yea, price panned out okay.

I feel that we go with Bernier, he continues his stellar play and we win the next 4 games. Then its his net the rest of the playoffs and we do some great things.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I feel that we go with Bernier, he continues his stellar play and we win the next 4 games. Then its his net the rest of the playoffs and we do some great things.

This is just what the Leafs want! They want our draft pick!

For real though, I'd stick with Gibson. He's the better goalie.

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
This is just what the Leafs want! They want our draft pick!

For real though, I'd stick with Gibson. He's the better goalie.

I love Gibson. But I cant deny he hasnt been good in this series. Hes let in some bad goals and been very shaky overall, his numbers are embarrassing especially when you compare them to Talbot.

At some point you have to stop saying "well nothing he can do about that one" "nothing he could do about that one." He hasnt been challenged much in this series yet hes let in 6 goals, a game winner from behind the net that goes through his leg, a deflating goal a minute into the game, and overall hes flailing and swimming all over the place while giving up rebound after rebound. You can sense how nervous this team is with him in net, its almost like theyre scared to allow any type of shot get to Gibson, I mean he only faced like 23 last game.

When Elliot let in that deflating goal Game 4 in Calgary he was pulled immediately. We were up 2-0 and 2-1 and held on while Gibson stole the game. Thats exactly what happened to us last game, except Gibson was the one who lets in the first softie early on.

All in all, I say start Bernier. Give this team some of their confidence back. We had our best run of the season with Bernier, and our best hockey is almost always when Bernier is in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad