Line Combos: 2016-17 Lineup Discussion, Playoff Edition - Who's Left?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I owe BB an apology if this "belief" is true:
No one has ever confirmed it, but the belief last year was Bruce Boudreau wanted to start Frederik Andersen right away in last year’s playoff series versus Nashville, only to be overruled. Gibson got the first two games.

There's also this about Gibson's d-bag persona being a big misunderstanding:
Maharaj on Gibson: “He’s maybe the most misunderstood goaltender I've ever encountered. Reminds me of Ray Emery. What makes them great goaltenders doesn't always translate to people. John comes across as aloof or standoffish, but he’s got a wicked sense of humour. He’s engaging, hilariously funny. People misread him.”

I respect Sudarshan Maharaj and I'd be willing to buy into that, but then I read quotes from Gibson like:
“I’ve got[ten] a lot of questions [about the long layoff],” he said. “It’s like I didn’t forget how to play, right? Just had an injury. Came back a little too soon the first time. Now everything’s pretty good.”
Asked if he feels there’s a competition between him and Bernier for the Game 1 start, Gibson said, “You’d have to ask Randy what he thinks. I’ve been here for the whole year. I got hurt for a month.”

and I think, nah. D-bag.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It's pretty hard to believe that Murray - and I don't think there's anyone else who would be in the position to do so - would overrule BB on such a clear-cut coaching decision. Who knows, though.

Regarding Gibson's persona, he definitely comes across a bit d-baggy. I'm not sure I'd say that's "misreading" him, because I don't think many people would be lead to the idea that that's the only side to him. Not everyone is a Teemu-type where it seems like every stranger is a friend he just hadn't met yet, some people are hilarious and friendly, but only after you break down an initial barrier. That definitely seems to be there with Gibson, but that's ok.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Ritchie appears scratched for tonight's game. Think it's a good thing. Looks worn down and we need him ready for playoffs. Wouldn't be surprised if he's scratched VS LA either. Tell him it's a brake to make sure he brings it in playoffs.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's pretty hard to believe that Murray - and I don't think there's anyone else who would be in the position to do so - would overrule BB on such a clear-cut coaching decision. Who knows, though.

His reputation is hands-off lineup decisions. And Friedman doesn't say who supposedly overruled it. Maybe it was medical staff, Freddy was recently back from injury. Very little content in that update, but I wanted to acknowledge it since I've been pretty savage to BB about it.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
His reputation is hands-off lineup decisions. And Friedman doesn't say who supposedly overruled it. Maybe it was medical staff, Freddy was recently back from injury. Very little content in that update, but I wanted to acknowledge it since I've been pretty savage to BB about it.

Ah, right, I didn't think of that option. That would make a fair degree of sense.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I agree we will never know, but if it was the medical staff, wouldn't that rule Freddie out of even dressing and backing up? If it were concussion related (which I believe it was), I don't know how he could even be allowed to dress. And if it were anything else, I can't believe the medical staff would have the final say on it.

DonDa

Apr 28, 2012
Budapest
Ritchie will have a hearing today at the NHL Player Safety due to the Rozsival case. This is a joke...

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I owe BB an apology if this "belief" is true:

There's also this about Gibson's d-bag persona being a big misunderstanding:

I respect Sudarshan Maharaj and I'd be willing to buy into that, but then I read quotes from Gibson like:

and I think, nah. D-bag.

I don't see how anything he said makes him sound like a D-bag. He's just more candid than most.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Ritchie will have a hearing today at the NHL Player Safety due to the Rozsival case. This is a joke...

To be honest, I don't think it is. SJ's Haley basically did the same thing a week or so ago (while answering for a hit on himself rather than a teammate) and it got him a game. Realistically, Ritchie deserves a game, as well. It wasn't a super-cheap play on Perry; I understand why Ritchie did it and like that he wanted to send that message, but it's not proportional to a very standard offense that had already been called.

Obviously, if we're measuring it by the non-hearing for Giordano, most hearings that take place are a joke. But I think it's more reasonable saying the Giordano decision was a joke, while this one falls in line with what is out there.

DonDa

Apr 28, 2012
Budapest
To be honest, I don't think it is. SJ's Haley basically did the same thing a week or so ago (while answering for a hit on himself rather than a teammate) and it got him a game. Realistically, Ritchie deserves a game, as well. It wasn't a super-cheap play on Perry; I understand why Ritchie did it and like that he wanted to send that message, but it's not proportional to a very standard offense that had already been called.

Obviously, if we're measuring it by the non-hearing for Giordano, most hearings that take place are a joke. But I think it's more reasonable saying the Giordano decision was a joke, while this one falls in line with what is out there.

You are right. It was a dump and unnecessary move by Ritchie, he deserves a game. (I hope it will be only one game).

But it's so annoying when your team is always suffering when the league should judge. Especially after Giordano's "clean" knee-to-knee hit.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I don't see how anything he said makes him sound like a D-bag. He's just more candid than most.

Its not that he has a dbag personality, its just hes cocky about himself and what he thinks he will be able to accomplish.. Kinda like Drew Doughty..

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
You are right. It was a dump and unnecessary move by Ritchie, he deserves a game. (I hope it will be only one game).
If it's more than that, you bet I'll be outraged, as well. :) That would indeed be a complete joke after the Haley decision. It should be lighter, if anything, but I don't know if they're doing hearings for fines.

But it's so annoying when your team is always suffering when the league should judge. Especially after Giordano's "clean" knee-to-knee hit.
It definitely is annoying to no end. The injustice over the Giordano case will definitely stick with us for a while. Hopefully the guys on the ice can channel it into something positive, like they did out on the ice that night, for the most part.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013

I agree on both accounts. Ritchie thought Rozsival would drop the gloves, but didn't. He was definitely overzealous and it will likely cost him at least 1 game. Thought the same thing when I saw it happen last night, so I wasn't surprised when I saw the notice he was having a hearing... Still can't get over how Giordano didn't receive a hearing on Fowler though. Boggles the mind when Giordano would have been suspended indefinitely if it was McJesus or Crybaby on the receiving end of the hit.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I agree on both accounts. Ritchie thought Rozsival would drop the gloves, but didn't. He was definitely overzealous and it will likely cost him at least 1 game. Thought the same thing when I saw it happen last night, so I wasn't surprised when I saw the notice he was having a hearing... Still can't get over how Giordano didn't receive a hearing on Fowler though. Boggles the mind when Giordano would have been suspended indefinitely if it was McJesus or Crybaby on the receiving end of the hit.

It probably would have sufficed if his name hadn't been "Good Guy Gio" or if he hadn't played for "We're being treated better for no reason after complaining to the league about reffing Calgary".

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I think Ritchie needs to figure out what type of player he wants to be. Right now, I don't think even he knows the answer to that question.

Wouldn't mind giving him a bit more seasoning in the AHL to re-find his game (although it's probably too late for that at least this year).

And as someone said earlier, the Ritchie punch was very similar to the Haley punch. I say he gets (and deservedly so IMO) a game or two in the sin bin.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Ritchie is a 21 year old kid who scored 14 goals and almost 30 points this year. He has made great strides this year. No way he is going to the AHL anytime soon.

He has had some ups and downs this year but I would call this year an absolute success for him.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Ritchie is a 21 year old kid who scored 14 goals and almost 30 points this year. He has made great strides this year. No way he is going to the AHL anytime soon.

He has had some ups and downs this year but I would call this year an absolute success for him.

No doubt that's true, but he just looks like a lost player right now.

What is his role on this team right now? I certainly couldn't tell you.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
You mean Sidney Criesby?

Oct 18, 2011
I could care less how Gibson comes off as long as he stops pucks and is not a problem in the lockerroom. Not everyone is a Fowler or Cogs

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I didn't think that a defenceman taking the draw was possible. I always thought you had to swap the winger in instead.

Maybe it was a 5-on-3 situation where there's a centerman and two defensemen on the ice on the PK. The center gets kicked out and one of the defensemen needed to step in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad