2016-17 Kings Roster Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
hopefully with Kempe and LaDue playing during the bye week the kings will not lay a big egg tomorrow like I am expecting.

Most teams coming out of the bye have looked terrible. Next year they need to have bye week teams playing each other after their 5 day breaks.

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Why trade Gilbert though for a mere $200k in cap savings? We don't need additional cap space this year and he would have been a good insurance policy if one of our defensemen got hurt. Who will play the 7th defenseman if someone (or two) gets hurt? Greene appears to be out all season, and Ontario is short as is. This trade makes no sense at all, unless Lombardi is clearing every penny to bring a very pricey rental, which doesn't appear to be his game plan this year based on comments he made.

Can anyone educate me on why this deal makes sense?

My only guess is DL doing him a favor. Didn't he play in Washington recently?

Get rid of one veteran from Reign? They did add one in Setoguchi.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
If it got to that point, what's the difference? Sure, maybe another Budaj situation could happen again, but that seems unlikely. Call up anyone from Ontario, and they can sign some ECHL guy to an AHL deal for however long.

They're hurting for defensemen in Ontario today. Game tonight.

Due to the Tom Gilbert move and current injuries to Vincent LoVerde and Alex Lintuniemi, the Reign had just five defensemen on the ice for morning skate. The roll call for the five in attendance read: Damir Sharipzianov, Cameron Schilling, Zac Leslie, Kurtis MacDermid and Alexx Privitera.

That list did not include Rob Scuderi and to make matters worse, the rostered veteran will not be able to play tonight.

“We’re going to have five D. We’re mulling around some options and moving some forwards or auditioning some forwards to play the back end,†Stothers said. “A guy like Backs plays the point on the power play. It’s a lot different than playing it regularly, but he skates well and thinks the game well. He can get back and get back for pucks. We could use Crescenzi. Long reach. The problem is if you go with Cres then you’ve got a lot of lefties and no righties with Privitera being the only righty. You try to get Backs back there, you move Cres back there then you lose a faceoff guy. You move Backs back there, you lose some speed up front. I’ve got almost six hours to try to mull it around in my head. Move the magnets around on the white board. I don’t know. It’s another one of those ones where, just when you think you’ve seen it all, something else is new and you’ve got to deal with it.â€

Stothers always good for an entertaining interview.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Haha. Is Scuds just on the roster getting paid and not even hanging out? Did he have dinner plans or something :laugh:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Excuse me, Scuds for Ehrhoff got us a top pairing d-man for a #7 :sarcasm:

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.

It is crazy though how Doughty is now pretty close to the elder statesman on the defense now.

Doughty - 661 games, 27 years old
Martinez - 392, 29
Muzzin - 345, 27
McNabb - 215, 26
Forbort - 69, 24
Gravel - 43, 24
LaDue - 2, 24

Doughty has 3 seasons worth of games on Martinez, even being like 2.5 years younger. Went by in a flash, and we're all just getting old.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

It is crazy though how Doughty is now pretty close to the elder statesman on the defense now.

Martinez - 392, 29
Muzzin - 345, 27
McNabb - 215, 26
Forbort - 69, 24
Gravel - 43, 24
LaDue - 2, 24

Doughty has 3 seasons worth of games on Martinez, even being like 2.5 years younger. Went by in a flash, and we're all just getting old.

Might as well trade him with Carter.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They're hurting for defensemen in Ontario today. Game tonight.

Like Stothers said, they'll find a way to manage for a game. I'm sure they'll find someone to plug in there at some point. Life in the AHL.

Haha. Is Scuds just on the roster getting paid and not even hanging out? Did he have dinner plans or something :laugh:

I'm guessing that's pretty much exactly what Lombardi and Scuderi agreed to before the season started.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's rather astonishing how the Pens were able to turn Scuderi into Trevor Daley last season.

Been a while since we've seen Lombardi work magic like that. He did it once to Rutherford when he acquired Justin Williams. I miss seeing those types of trades that actually helped the Kings.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's rather astonishing how the Pens were able to turn Scuderi into Trevor Daley last season.

Been a while since we've seen Lombardi work magic like that. He did it once to Rutherford when he acquired Justin Williams. I miss seeing those types of trades that actually helped the Kings.

completely agree...although then Pens and Hawks both have higher cap hits this year for scuds than LA.

Schenn and VL was shrewd IMO and was a low risk high reward type of move. I was very much behind that deal.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Martinez - 392, 29
Muzzin - 345, 27
McNabb - 215, 26
Forbort - 69, 24
Gravel - 43, 24
LaDue - 2, 24

This is why the talk of having young guys on defense for the playoffs--if it happens--is a little overblown because I don't think anyone is looking at Doughty/Martinez/Muzzin as true vets because they aren't old like a Mitchell/Scuderi/Greene in 2012 and '14, sans Scuderi in '14.

Doughty and Martinez have won two SCs and been to three WCFs while Muzzin has 1 SC and 2 WCFs.

Sure, I'd like to have a 4th guy that is good and has also been through the battles, but I'll take these three veterans and the three rookies over last year's no rookies and tons of game played experience in Scuderi/Schenn/McBain.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think Dean Lombardi was doing Gilbert a solid. Gilberty signed as a UFA so it cost us no assets to get him.

Regarding Gaborik and the 4th Period article, I had pegged Gaborik as a salary cap dump in the summer of 2018. This would be part of the try the Blackhawk model that I think Dean Lombardi is planning.

I think we can tell for certain once we see what all the RFAs sign for.

Shore $600,000 current
Andreoff $587,500
LaDue $925,000
Gravel $667,500
Brodzinski $808,750
Mersch $786,667

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

And Rich Hammond nearly screwed it up and i think cost us a higher pick in the deal.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Why trade Gilbert though for a mere $200k in cap savings? We don't need additional cap space this year and he would have been a good insurance policy if one of our defensemen got hurt. Who will play the 7th defenseman if someone (or two) gets hurt? Greene appears to be out all season, and Ontario is short as is. This trade makes no sense at all, unless Lombardi is clearing every penny to bring a very pricey rental, which doesn't appear to be his game plan this year based on comments he made.

Can anyone educate me on why this deal makes sense?

For me the deal makes sense on so many levels.

Reading multiple threads, most of our fans and all neutral observers are less then impressed by Gilbert. The same lot of people suggest the Kings arent likely to make it very deep in the playoffs at their current rate of struggle.

If thats the case, Id rather have it happen with a purpose versus just being a waste. By that, I mean, Id rather see Gravel, LaDue, Brodz, Mersch, Kempe filling spots that you know DS is just dying to fill with the Gilbert, Scuderi, Seto's of the world.

Maybe its like Billy Beane in moneyball. DS wont play the kids, so DL trades all the vets so he has no choice.

Im not going to complain. Gilbert, Purcell, Seto were just taking up space with no purpose.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Regarding Gaborik and the 4th Period article, I had pegged Gaborik as a salary cap dump in the summer of 2018. This would be part of the try the Blackhawk model that I think Dean Lombardi is planning.

Cap dumps don't usually have 3 years left on a contract. Not to mention the $5m cap hit in each of those 3 years, and an actual salary between $3m and $4.5m for those 3 years. He'd be a cap dump in the summer of 2020, not 2018.

Only two ways they're getting out of Gaborik's contract. He either retires, leaving a lot of money on the table, or they buy him out, which isn't an ideal situation. The sooner they buy him out, the more cap space they get earlier, but that's balanced out by having dead cap space on the roster for 8 years.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
For me the deal makes sense on so many levels.

Reading multiple threads, most of our fans and all neutral observers are less then impressed by Gilbert. The same lot of people suggest the Kings arent likely to make it very deep in the playoffs at their current rate of struggle.

If thats the case, Id rather have it happen with a purpose versus just being a waste. By that, I mean, Id rather see Gravel, LaDue, Brodz, Mersch, Kempe filling spots that you know DS is just dying to fill with the Gilbert, Scuderi, Seto's of the world.

Maybe its like Billy Beane in moneyball. DS wont play the kids, so DL trades all the vets so he has no choice.

Im not going to complain. Gilbert, Purcell, Seto were just taking up space with no purpose.

But Sutter wasn't playing Gilbert, Purcell, or Setoguchi all that much, in either games or minutes. Maybe Sutter wasn't playing the vets to force Lombardi to call up the kids? The old switcheroo.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Can't wait to see who Dean Lombardi will find in the dumpster this summer. Maybe he'll bring back Kevin Dallman, give Jonathan Cheechoo or Dany Heatley a tryout, or sign Jason LaBarbera and Michal Rozsival.

You guys have to admit, it's comical how every single one of the signings from this summer actually managed to perform below all expectations. None of them can even play in the NHL anymore.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I highly doubt DL expected much of anything out of Purcell/Seto/Gilbert. Just signed them to see if they surprise on the upside. No risk to it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I highly doubt DL expected much of anything out of Purcell/Seto/Gilbert. Just signed them to see if they surprise on the upside. No risk to it.

They do consume cap space... and at the very least one of them should've resulted into a competent NHL player or healthy scratch who can be relied upon to be inserted into the lineup but they weren't even good enough to do that.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I think Dean Lombardi was doing Gilbert a solid. Gilberty signed as a UFA so it cost us no assets to get him.

I think we can tell for certain once we see what all the RFAs sign for.

Shore $600,000 current
Andreoff $587,500
LaDue $925,000
Gravel $667,500
Brodzinski $808,750
Mersch $786,667

I really don't see much increase in these salaries going forward. Qualifying offers may be enough for most. Shore may be the outlyer, but not much. Andreoff and Gravel would be 10% increase, and LaDue, Brodzinski and Mersch would only be 5%. They could go the Arbitration route, but none have real standing.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Can't wait to see who Dean Lombardi will find in the dumpster this summer. Maybe he'll bring back Kevin Dallman, give Jonathan Cheechoo or Dany Heatley a tryout, or sign Jason LaBarbera and Michal Rozsival.

When you look at the roster, do you really think he'll do that this summer? If the roster stays as it is, with every UFA walking out the door, he won't have much cap space to bring in anyone from any dumpster anyway.

You guys have to admit, it's comical how every single one of the signings from this summer actually managed to perform below all expectations. None of them can even play in the NHL anymore.

All 1 year deals, other than Zatkoff, at least half of them at the league minimum, which means if they were in the AHL, it costs the Kings nothing on the cap. They were all placeholders. Nothing more. Maybe they figured Purcell would score a goal. I know, Zatkoff sucks, but he's having the worst year of his career at any level, on a goalie friendly team. I'm guessing nobody saw that coming. Budaj is having a career best season at any level, other than last year in Ontario.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
They do consume cap space... and at the very least one of them should've resulted into a competent NHL player or healthy scratch who can be relied upon to be inserted into the lineup but they weren't even good enough to do that.

Sam Gagner, PA Parenteau could have been signed, right? King fans always give Dean a pass saying "well he didn't give them a lot of money". That's correct but if you add up ALL the money Dean wasted this summer on players most fans would have agreed did not fit the Sutter mold and failed miserably one solid player could have been signed.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I really don't see much increase in these salaries going forward. Qualifying offers may be enough for most. Shore may be the outlyer, but not much. Andreoff and Gravel would be 10% increase, and LaDue, Brodzinski and Mersch would only be 5%. They could go the Arbitration route, but none have real standing.

Thank you for responding. I was thinking that they didn't have much standing either. Even Pearson only got $1.4 million and that was after a very good playoff/cup performance in 2014 and having effectively 1 full season of experience.

I was hoping for averaging around $1 million but if it comes out lower, even better. Makes a possible buyout of Gaborik in the summer of 2018 more palatable. And that buyout would be only necessary if things work out. It's the last step of what I hope happens.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Thank you for responding. I was thinking that they didn't have much standing either. Even Pearson only got $1.4 million and that was after a very good playoff/cup performance in 2014 and having effectively 1 full season of experience.

I was hoping for averaging around $1 million but if it comes out lower, even better. Makes a possible buyout of Gaborik in the summer of 2018 more palatable. And that buyout would be only necessary if things work out. It's the last step of what I hope happens.

No problem. I for some reason think someone would take Gaborik. Talent is still there, it just needs to be given the right opportunity.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Interviews from Rosen indicate that Kings always wanted to bring up the youngsters around the All-Star break (these were interviews from Nov/Dec). They just needed a few warm bodies to sit on the bench/pressbox while the youngsters got playing time in the AHL. Now that the youngsters are up, they can cast off the vets.

I think the plan from the get go was to sink or swim with the young guys. Anyone who thought the vets were brought in for impact are out to lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad