2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Third (News n' Scores n' Stuff) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The Caps' window has clearly closed. There's little to no AHL depth coming to help out. Ovechkin's well past his prime.

Firesale.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
So if Nashville wins the cup, the conn smythe could go to FF and if Pitt wins it goes to one of Crosby or Malkin. Great.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
How can you guys say the Conn Smythe is going anywhere but Rinne at this point? Lol, have you watched the games? Rinne has been the difference maker all playoffs long at this point, I can't see him not winning it if the Preds win the cup

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
So if Nashville wins the cup, the conn smythe probably goes to FF and if Pitt wins it goes to one of Crosby or Malkin. Great.

Caps have no one to blame but themselves.

Best thing would be we open up on the road in Nashville with Trotz our coach and Nashville raises the banner

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Filip Forsberg has reached the SCF with Trotz's former team. Meanwhile, CSN is legitimately asking us if we should cheer for the Pens.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/video...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Masochism has reached a new level, it feels like the universe is constantly trolling Caps fans. The only two things that are Penguins fans at home are my mother (Damn it mom!) and my wallet for putting $20 on them in my office playoff pool.

Very tough time to be a Caps fan, I'm just looking forward to this summer to see if GMBM will actually dare to touch the core of this team.

I want Subban to win the Cup. No player deserves it more than him in the league. He went through so much crap here in Montreal while providing Norris level defense in the regular season and playoffs.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Filip Forsberg has reached the SCF with Trotz's former team. Meanwhile, CSN is legitimately asking us if we should cheer for the Pens.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/video...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Masochism has reached a new level, it feels like the universe is constantly trolling Caps fans. The only two things that are Penguins fans at home are my mother (Damn it mom!) and my wallet for putting $20 on them in my office playoff pool.

Very tough time to be a Caps fan, I'm just looking forward to this summer to see if GMBM will actually dare to touch the core of this team.

I want Subban to win the Cup. No player deserves it more than him in the league. He went through so much crap here in Montreal while providing Norris level defense in the regular season and playoffs.

Subban going to pull a Kessel :yo:

They don't stand a chance against the Pens unfortunately.

Ottawa is the only chance.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Subban going to pull a Kessel :yo:

They don't stand a chance against the Pens unfortunately.

Ottawa is the only chance.

They can. As much as Nashville's forwards look meh on paper, I think the difference between the Pens' D and Preds' D is huge. If Rinne keeps playing like this, they have a good chance to win.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
So, the season where the Caps had their most complete team and their best chance is about to lead to:

"The Stanley Cup finals, Forsberg vs. Pens, narrated by McGuire".
(followed by McPhee taking another Caps player)

Might as well marvel at reaching these depths -- will be hard to repeat, lol.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Well, before the playoffs started I thought the one team that had a match up advantage over the Caps possibly from the West was the Predators..of course that is a joke now but congrats to the Preds..not a surprise.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I'd like to remember that Nashville is a WC2 team. So the window is never closed for the Caps.

We just need our players to be red hot during 2 months starting in the middle of April

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So, the season where the Caps had their most complete team and their best chance is about to lead to:

"The Stanley Cup finals, Forsberg vs. Pens, narrated by McGuire".
(followed by McPhee taking another Caps player)

Might as well marvel at reaching these depths -- will be hard to repeat, lol.

A new low. Sigh.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
not forsbergs fault he was traded though.

Never said it was. I am rooting for the Preds. I'm just saying it sucks a big one that we're going to either watch the player who should have been the heir apparent to Ovechkin raise his first Cup or we're going to watch Crosby raise his third. Sucks big time.

But, hey, good for those two franchises. Both franchises made bold decisions with regards to their roster make up and coaching choices and are being rewarded. Hopefully one day we can say the same thing about the Caps.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
For us to have won the Scoresberg trade, we needed to win the cup that year. It's that simple. Laich's groin was swiss cheese and George wanted a top 6 winger. Of course a normal GM would have someone, anyone at F, ready to help down on the farm. But not us, and its been that way for years now.

I wish we could somehow force George to take Erat or Latta when he comes to pluck a player off of our roster.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
We're definitely the "no soup for you" team (city you could argue). Painful indeed. However teams like Nashville convince me it's not a core issue. They have injuries galore and secondary guys step up and produce. Subban was a "core guy" who had little SC success in Montreal, goes to a new team and is in the finals.

People keep saying "been through multiple coaches so it an't be coaching". Well, going through multiple coaches who haven't proven anywhere else that they can have playoff success isn't exactly convincing that coaching isn't the issue. We have had 4 coaches. Two had no previous experience, one of whom was a coaching nutcase, the other was very rigid and left after less than a season. The other two are famously early round exiters year after year with multiple teams. Have we actually tried a proven playoff winner yet?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Is this rock bottom as a Caps fan?

The Caps moving forward will likely still be a perennial playoff contender for at least the foreseeable future. A team with Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Ovechkin, Niskanen, Carlson, Orlov, Holtby, etc will still compete for a spot in the dance. For how long remains to be seen. That will be determined by coaching and personnel decisions. But yeah, their days of dominance and being a popular preseason Cup favorite are likely over.

That said, this could easily mark the descent. It's entirely possible, and increasingly probably, that in five years Ovechkin and Backstrom are gone and the Caps are left to wonder how they failed to capture a Cup with two of the best players in franchise history. Tough, franchise-defining decisions are on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad