2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Third (News n' Scores n' Stuff) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Glad to hear Neuvy seems ok. The fans at the game must have been horrified. April Fools Extreme Edition?

Perhaps passing out in the first period is the result of him trying to play through the pregame illnesses that often seem to cause him to miss starts.

I am no internet doctor, but passing out for a few minutes is not a listed symptom of the flu.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am no internet doctor, but passing out for a few minutes is not a listed symptom of the flu.

no, but dehydration is common. you know. drink lots of fluids? you can pass out from dehydration. Put the goalie gear on. Stand up the whole time. he only gets to sit down between periods.

I passed out at the gym once. Didn't eat in the morning. Didn't drink enough. Went from feeling nominal to sitting on a piece of equipment and getting fuzzy to going to sleep in about 30 seconds to a minute.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I thought of dehydration, but players typically have that one under control. Passing out is usually the result of a lack of blood/oxygen to the brain. Dehydration can certainly cause that and is the likely suspect. But its a nerve that controls blood flow. People can pass out from just seeing blood. We are left to speculate.

I wonder why he has missed so many of his spots starts over the years. Maybe its because he is often dehydrated. I would like to think team trainers are on top of that after his coach got pissed at him at a late season sick call out a year ago.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Neuvirth is just accident prone. He had a lenthy injury from just stepping on the ice. I think he is well aware of his reputation for being unavailable for whatever reason on game night. I don't think its outrageous to think he was sick and tried to play thru it. Between losing hydration from flu symptoms and the sweating in all that goalie gear under those game lights getting dehydrated to the point of passing out is very possible.

As the reports are now that he is ok, that would tend to fit the available evidence.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Fwiw Ottawa is now in wc2 and would be caps opening matchup at this moment

The standings are pretty close there, though. Ottawa, Toronto and Boston are all within point of each other. Boston has just 3 games remaining though, they are the most likely opponent. Tampa is 5 points behind Ottawa and have a huge game against Dallas tonight. I wouldn't count them out if they win that as they have games against Leafs and Bruins remaining. Capitals play both Leafs and Bruins next week too. I think we might know the match-up as early as Wednesday after Leafs-Bolts and Sens-Bruins games.

Also damn. Few teams have 5 games next week.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ottawa's injuries make them vulnerable, though. No Karlsson again tomorrow it sounds like on top of Methot and Ceci. They're just 2-5-3 in their last ten. If anyone opens the door for Tampa it's them.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Today, I am a Hurricane fan.

Prolly too much to ask to wear the old Whale sweaters, though.

You can borrow mine if you'd like. I grew up in CT and my family had season tickets to the Whale. I used to skate Mites on Ice at the Hartford Civic Center. I've got a ton of Whalers gear including a bad ass Starter pullover jacket.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pens up 1-0

:/

oh god the ROOT guys...killing me

edit: Canes tie, booth guys cry

Last edited:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I want no part of TB. Especially since I am sure all their guys would magically heal for our matchup.

Ottawa has a home and home with Detroit and then at Boston followed by a game at home versus the Rangers and the next day versus the Isles.

Only Boston really has anything to play for so Ottawa has a decent shot at picking up 5 points in those games.

TBay has the next three on the road against Boston and Toronto/Montreal back to back before closing the season at home versus Buffalo.

Three of those four teams have something to play for.

IMHO, I think TBay has to basically go 4-0 to make the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think there is reasonable hope that he either got a charley horse or hyperextended it. It could be bad but those other things hurt like a mo fo too and I think there is hope that its not doom. Niskanen got dinged by Gudas with a similar looking injury and he only missed a couple of games.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@SunGarrioch: Ceci, Methot and Smith won't return before the end of the regular season. #Sens

The door for Tampa Bay opens a wee bit wider.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
@SunGarrioch: Ceci, Methot and Smith won't return before the end of the regular season. #Sens

The door for Tampa Bay opens a wee bit wider.

I will be cheering for Ottawa to get just enough points to hold off Tampa and grab the WC2 slot. Despite the trap Ottawa is exactly the type of team Washington can actually dispatch rather quickly if they put their minds to it. Ottawa's depth across the board is poor while Boston, Tampa, and Toronto have speed, talent, and scoring depth.

Ottawa definitely has a schedule advantage over Tampa: @DET, DET, @BOS, NYR, @NYI. Meanwhile, TB has @BOS, @TOR, @MTL, BUF.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ottawa definitely has a schedule advantage over Tampa: @DET, DET, @BOS, NYR, @NYI. Meanwhile, TB has @BOS, @TOR, @MTL, BUF.
Five games in seven days for Ottawa, though, and they haven't beaten Detroit in two tries this year. If they can take care of business against them in their home-at-home they should be fine. If not? If it comes down to them needing points against NYR/NYI they may run out of gas. Tampa Bay finishes with four in six themselves but should be fresher with some players having returned recently.

We still can't put Boston firmly in either with only three games left (TBL/OTT/WSH). The BOS/TBL game tomorrow is a biggie. I guess Toronto can't completely be ruled out in the WC2 running either in finishing up with WSH/TBL/PIT/CBJ.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Tampa is pretty much down and out if they lose one of the BOS/TOR games in regulation, IMO. Which i expect to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad