Prospect Info: 2016-17 Flyers Prospects - Top 20 SKATERS, #6

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I have a really good feeling about Wade Allison. So I went with him.

Then, Lindblom, Myers, Laberge. But all these 4 are nearly interchanged able for me. I would not be surprised to see Lindblom put up really good numbers in the AHL nor would I be surprised if Laberge ended up seperating himself from this group with a fantastic season.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I just want a guy like Cooper Marody to make this list. Probably somewhere in the 15-20 range is where I'd rank him, but he put up solid numbers as a freshman I think playing second or third line minutes at UM.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I have a really good feeling about Wade Allison. So I went with him.

Then, Lindblom, Myers, Laberge. But all these 4 are nearly interchanged able for me. I would not be surprised to see Lindblom put up really good numbers in the AHL nor would I be surprised if Laberge ended up seperating himself from this group with a fantastic season.

Lindblom killed it in the few weeks he was there, almost a point a game player if I remember. Lindblom will probably drop 40-50 pts there easily. I don't think he'll be a huge scorer in the NHL, but he does like everything else pretty good.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Myers, I actually like him slightly more than Morin honestly. I'm not as high on Morin as most around here though.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
just to fortify the case for lindblom in the following polls.

I listed the first pro experience for every flyers forward since the 05/06 season, who had a pro stint after his junior/college/european season was done:

attachment.php

usually those players don't do much, many don't even play a game. Only two of the listed skaters had a better ppg ratio than lindblom, and both were nhl players the following season.

I think this shows at best how good lindblom already is.

small sample size indeed, jvr never made it, did he?

I think the more telling data on lindblom is how well he played in the shl at age 19, especially because his game fits na hockey better than european hockey - which shows how much he improved his skating, it was doubts about his skating that dropped him to the 5th round.

(including 3 playoff games)
51 games - 9-19 28 +5 in the shl
8 games 2-5 7 +1 in the ahl
given the shl is probably a notch above the ahl, and he's playing against much older players at age 19, that's pretty impressive.

The point I tried to make isn't that players who don't score in those stints won't make it to the NHL. The point is that everyone who had such high PPG numbers was ready to play in the NHL.

The other data you mentioned, Elitserien, WJC etc., only supports what I said, but it's nothing special. There are two or three U20 players in Sweden every season that score at a similar rate to Lindblom. On the other hand, leaving your previous team, scoring almost a point per game under completely different circumstances is special.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Take a peek at some other teams prospect polls...some are really ugly and it's pretty early still.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seems like the "vocal minority" of Myers fans are in the majority that he's the Flyers 6th best prospect, with only the 2013-2016 first round picks ahead of him.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Curious, where would Vorobyov have gone in the 2016 draft if he weren't drafted last year? He's only 20 days older than Myers. He has good size and skill and he's a C.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Went with Lindblom because I feel like he's the kind of guy that I can confidently say will fit into a middle 6 role and possibly contribute as a net from guy on the PP. I like Myers and his upside but I'll go with him next and then probably Laberge.

From Laberge up, I think all of them will play in the NHL. I can't remember the last time I could say with confidence that the Flyers have 8 skater prospects that project to be NHL players without much of an argument against any of them. Then there are guys like NAK, Leier, Hagg, Friedman, and Goulbourne who with a little more development can be role players. It's a good time to be a Flyers fan.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Seems like the "vocal minority" of Myers fans are in the majority that he's the Flyers 6th best prospect, with only the 2013-2016 first round picks ahead of him.

The vocal minority comment was specifically in reference to the folks putting him in the top five. I clearly said most people have him at 6-10, which is exactly what happened.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The point I tried to make isn't that players who don't score in those stints won't make it to the NHL. The point is that everyone who had such high PPG numbers was ready to play in the NHL.

The other data you mentioned, Elitserien, WJC etc., only supports what I said, but it's nothing special. There are two or three U20 players in Sweden every season that score at a similar rate to Lindblom. On the other hand, leaving your previous team, scoring almost a point per game under completely different circumstances is special.

As Appleyard has shown, practically every U20 player who scored like Lindblom in the SHL became a solid NHL starter.
Scoring in the AHL after starting in the SHL shouldn't be a big deal, not scoring would be, but the AHL is a step down.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The vocal minority comment was specifically in reference to the folks putting him in the top five. I clearly said most people have him at 6-10, which is exactly what happened.

If Myers was a 1st rd pick who went on to post those numbers in his post draft season, he'd be in the top 4. The fact that Craig Button has him ahead of Morin is good enough for me, given his performance on ice.

Normally, you'd discount a one year wonder, but it's obvious from all reports that he's a very different player from the one that went undrafted.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
As Appleyard has shown, practically every U20 player who scored like Lindblom in the SHL became a solid NHL starter.
Scoring in the AHL after starting in the SHL shouldn't be a big deal, not scoring would be, but the AHL is a step down.

I don't think the AHL is a step down from the SHL. I don't think it's a huge leap but I think the AHL is a slightly better league.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think the AHL is a step down from the SHL. I don't think it's a huge leap but I think the AHL is a slightly better league.
It's not. The SHL probably is a more skilled league top to bottom, but the AHL is a tough league to play in.
This article is old as hell, but this guy has the AHL 10TH

http://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-best-ice-hockey-leagues/

edit:

This one is January of 2015: http://thehockeywriters.com/ranking-the-top-ten-hockey-leagues/
I'm not clicking on the link, but 10th best league in the world? That's ridiculous.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It's not. The SHL probably is a more skilled league top to bottom, but the AHL is a tough league to play in.

I'm not clicking on the link, but 10th best league in the world? That's ridiculous.

I stopped reading when I saw the AHL at 10 and the Q at 9. That's a massive lol even for THW which is a pretty terrible site to begin with.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If Myers was a 1st rd pick who went on to post those numbers in his post draft season, he'd be in the top 4. The fact that Craig Button has him ahead of Morin is good enough for me, given his performance on ice.

Normally, you'd discount a one year wonder, but it's obvious from all reports that he's a very different player from the one that went undrafted.

But he wasn't. If NAK was a first round pick with a 120 points per season, he'd be in the top five too.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I agree that 2012 article was ridiculous, the second one had the AHL 4th behind the NHL/KHL/SHL

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The difference is that Myers has the physical skills to be a first round pick, he just couldn't put it together until his post draft season, but there's only a handful of defensemen his size (and far fewer RH) with his skating and offensive skills. He's just the rare player who physically matured (developed body control) at a later age.

AK is talented, but not Konecny talented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad