Prospect Info: 2016-17 Flyers Prospects - Top 20 SKATERS, #5

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Don't you guys see what happening here?

He's trying to bait someone into saying Myers is as good as those three but Lauzon is worse so that he can say that we overvalue our prospects and call everyone else's busts. He's attempted to make that claim a few times now, but had nothing to back it up, so now he's trying to manufacture evidence he can use in the future.

Damn right.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Damn right.

latest

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I've personally got to go with Myers here over Rubstov, admittedly because I haven't been able to catch much at all of him and the limited youtube videos don't speak to me where offensive upside is concerned, so I'm reserving my opinion of him for now. On the other hand, I managed to catch about 10 full games of Myers this year and he's got a tremedous all around package. The only notch I could take out of him was that his calmness and poise in the upper 2\3 of the ice left a noticeable lack of intensity and assertiveness in his own zone on defensive coverage at times which led to the establishment of a cycle for other teams. He's an awesome prospect with top half upside, especially as a RHD.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
That list from 4 years ago, terrifying to put it mildly. I can imagine some lists from several years ago with names like Claude boivon,kimbi Daniels,Dennis metlyk those were pretty terrifying as well.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That list from 4 years ago, terrifying to put it mildly. I can imagine some lists from several years ago with names like Claude boivon,kimbi Daniels,Dennis metlyk those were pretty terrifying as well.

The problem is with a lot of those lists we didn't know they were terrible until years later! I don't foresee that happening with this list hopefully, but I remember being relatively excited about a lot of our prospects (Bourdon, Ratchuck, Nodl, Matsumoto) in the past and a lot of other people being excited about a lot of other prospects (Akeson, Ericsson, Testwudie). I don't think I or anyone thought any of those guys would be superstars but a lot of people thought a lot of players would be regulars on this team for a while. This list I think is different for obvious reasons.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
The problem is with a lot of those lists we didn't know they were terrible until years later! I don't foresee that happening with this list hopefully, but I remember being relatively excited about a lot of our prospects (Bourdon, Ratchuck, Nodl, Matsumoto) in the past and a lot of other people being excited about a lot of other prospects (Akeson, Ericsson, Testwudie). I don't think I or anyone thought any of those guys would be superstars but a lot of people thought a lot of players would be regulars on this team for a while. This list I think is different for obvious reasons.
What? That group was awful back then as well and most of us knew it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Experts had us ranked among the worst groups in the league then and one of the best in the league now.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The fact that Rubtsov was our first round pick this year and he's 5th in our prospect pool makes me a little giddy. In past years it's always been that the new shiny toy gets lots of hype and is fresh in everyone's mind and instantly vaults into the top 3. This year even with that hype he's just going to crack the top 5 and was really not close to the top 3.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
What? That group was awful back then as well and most of us knew it.

Experts had us ranked among the worst groups in the league then and one of the best in the league now.

Sure but there were guys that we thought we would make impacts. Akeson was penciled in as a potential future top six guy, Bourdon was a potential top four guy, Ericsson was a potential starter, etc. No one was as excited as we are today, but let's not pretend that we still were projecting these guys to be regulars on the Flyers.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The fact that Rubtsov was our first round pick this year and he's 5th in our prospect pool makes me a little giddy. In past years it's always been that the new shiny toy gets lots of hype and is fresh in everyone's mind and instantly vaults into the top 3. This year even with that hype he's just going to crack the top 5 and was really not close to the top 3.

One can argue he's still overhyped and being ranked too high, but that's the way these go. I'd still rank Lindblom and Myers ahead of him, they've played well and/or dominated higher leagues then him.

But its fun to discuss.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Yea, its a weird hindsight thing, now that list looks pretty awful. Did it look awful back then? Probably more of a eye of the beholder, we thought it might have been ok based on what we wanted or needed. Unbiased eyes clearly saw a big problem.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Sure but there were guys that we thought we would make impacts. Akeson was penciled in as a potential future top six guy, Bourdon was a potential top four guy, Ericsson was a potential starter, etc. No one was as excited as we are today, but let's not pretend that we still were projecting these guys to be regulars on the Flyers.

In his short stint, M.A. Bourdon actually looked pretty good, and could have had a solid NHL career if not for concussions. Not his fault.

He could have been similar defenseman like Gudas, maybe.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Only by the most optimistic.

Akeson always struck me as the equivalent of a AAAA hitter in baseball, good enough to dominate the AHL but not a NHL player, Weal to me is the same player.

Bourdon was a potential top four guy because we didn't have more than two decent defensemen at the time! He was a prospect, but nothing special.

It's like the people who hyped Gustafsson as a top 4 defenseman. And he wasn't nearly as talented as Friedman.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Rubtsov is being overhyped, the problem is until he spends a year in the KHL, it's hard to get a read on how good he can be.

Lindblom is much easier, playing on a top line at age 19 in the SHL, and having improved his biggest flaw (skating), it's easy to project him as a real prospect.

I feel the same about most junior draftees, unless they were spectacular their pre-draft season (in which case they usually get drafted top ten), you really have to see how they play the first year after they're drafted, as the second year is when many marginal prospects make a jump because they're a year or two older than most junior players.

And college players usually don't really step out until their junior years, they rarely play much as freshman and are just getting a feel for the game as sophomores.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't think Rubtsov is being overhyped, the problem is until he spends a year in the KHL, it's hard to get a read on how good he can be.

Lindblom is much easier, playing on a top line at age 19 in the SHL, and having improved his biggest flaw (skating), it's easy to project him as a real prospect.

I feel the same about most junior draftees, unless they were spectacular their pre-draft season (in which case they usually get drafted top ten), you really have to see how they play the first year after they're drafted, as the second year is when many marginal prospects make a jump because they're a year or two older than most junior players.

And college players usually don't really step out until their junior years, they rarely play much as freshman and are just getting a feel for the game as sophomores.

Good points. I see Provorov as that exception. We had Morin/Sanheim and others in the pipeline, but Provorov was just so damn awesome during his draft year he, he shot right to the top, then he followed it up with being even better. He deserved the hype.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
In his short stint, M.A. Bourdon actually looked pretty good, and could have had a solid NHL career if not for concussions. Not his fault.

He could have been similar defenseman like Gudas, maybe.

Only by the most optimistic.

Akeson always struck me as the equivalent of a AAAA hitter in baseball, good enough to dominate the AHL but not a NHL player, Weal to me is the same player.

Bourdon was a potential top four guy because we didn't have more than two decent defensemen at the time! He was a prospect, but nothing special.

It's like the people who hyped Gustafsson as a top 4 defenseman. And he wasn't nearly as talented as Friedman.

To be clear, I was someone who was excited about some of these players as well. I am not casting judgment and trying to act like I was smarter than other people or anything like that. Just that we didn't really know how bad these lists were until it was too late.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
To be clear, I was someone who was excited about some of these players as well. I am not casting judgment and trying to act like I was smarter than other people or anything like that. Just that we didn't really know how bad these lists were until it was too late.

Yes, that's true but let's face it, we really had probably the worst prospect pool in the entire NHL from ~2009-2011.

What was left for us? We simply had to be excited at least for some of them, because that's all we had back then.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yes, that's true but let's face it, we really had probably the worst prospect pool in the entire NHL from ~2009-2011.

What was left for us? We simply had to be excited at least for some of them, because that's all we had back then.

That's true. It was ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad