Prospect Info: 2016-17 Flyers Prospects - Top 20 SKATERS, #14

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
FWIW I have a hard time placing Hogberg above Carsen Twarynski as I'm trusting the Flyers judgement on that on (for now).

Even more than Lyubimov, that's the guy with whom I have no idea what to do. You could tell me he should be 14 or 24 and I couldn't make an argument to the contrary outside of draft position. That's amazing to me given that I saw a decent amount of Calgary games and exactly one period of Lyubimov only due to idle curiosity of where Stephane Da Costa ended up.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Even more than Lyubimov, that's the guy with whom I have no idea what to do. You could tell me he should be 14 or 24 and I couldn't make an argument to the contrary outside of draft position. That's amazing to me given that I saw a decent amount of Calgary games and exactly one period of Lyubimov only due to idle curiosity of where Stephane Da Costa ended up.

Yeah I've seen a bunch of him the last 2 seasons and for about the first 100 games of his WHL career, I didn't think he was much of a prospect, but the second half of last season he started to come on. Reading some of the quotes, sounds like the Flyers are fairly high on him. He could be placed anywhere within the next 10 spots and I wouldn't really have a reaction. It's a fortunate situation to not have a 3rd round pick immediately become a top 10 prospect in the system.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"Complete grab bag" implies that they're all about equal...

That's why he asked about Leier and Goulbourne... two guys who aren't equal but if you consider them to be part of a grab bag together it makes it seem like you think they are.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That's why he asked about Leier and Goulbourne... two guys who aren't equal but if you consider them to be part of a grab bag together it makes it seem like you think they are.

This was my point.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Went with Marody. Granted, he's a long shot, this vote should've went Fazleev, but I blanked and missed him as an option. @Marody will probably suck though, he went to Michigan. How smart can he be? He's probably a scum bag too.@

The anti-Leier recognition goes that, guys closer to making the show, after having been part of the program for a while (post-junior/college squad), are a smidge devalued. It's the boat vs. mystery box situation. Gotta go mystery box, it could be anything, even a boat.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Nitpick much? It's obvious what I meant. Way too many prospects of a similar caliber left for me to know which one to vote for at 14. I don't begrudge anyone who does, but we're getting into a bunch of former mid-round picks that I know little about, and personally I just have no clue at the moment who I like more of Kase or Marody or Laczynski or Leier or Fazleev or a handful of other guys who mostly seem fungible at this point. Hopefully, some will distinguish themselves this season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nitpick much? It's obvious what I meant. Way too many prospects of a similar caliber left for me to know which one to vote for at 14. I don't begrudge anyone who does, but we're getting into a bunch of former mid-round picks that I know little about, and personally I just have no clue at the moment who I like more of Kase or Marody or Laczynski or Leier or Fazleev or a handful of other guys who mostly seem fungible at this point. Hopefully, some will distinguish themselves this season.

It's pretty nice that these mid round picks consist of 3 former WJC players, another one pushing for a spot, and another coming off a very good rookie year in college.

Hextall has really created some nice prospect depth. We just gotta find an elite forward or 2.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I went with Bardreau. I just like his motor, tenacity, & flexibility better than Leier. The fact that Hextall has been talking him up this offseason factors in too.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

To be fair, I think Goulbourne has just as much of a chance to be in the NHL in 5 years from now as Leier. Leier could end up a Matsumoto type that is a great AHL player but never becomes a full time NHL guy if he doesn't work on his two-way play because he's not nearly good enough to crack a top 6. There are places on every team for someone like Goulbourne. If Rinaldo can play 5 season in the NHL, I think Goulbourne can too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think the league is moving on from Rinaldo-level players (even the dinosaurs in Boston eventually got wise and demoted him), but Goulbourne can at least kill penalties and has some goal scoring ability.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Similarly to the last two years or so of polls, Leier just doesn't have a high enough upside for me to vote for him as high as the board's going to vote for him.

Voted for Laczynzki just because I think he might surprise people in terms of his stock rising as he plays in the developmental leagues more.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Similarly to the last two years or so of polls, Leier just doesn't have a high enough upside for me to vote for him as high as the board's going to vote for him.

Voted for Laczynzki just because I think he might surprise people in terms of his stock rising as he plays in the developmental leagues more.

I was the first vote for Laczynzki and voted for him last poll as well.

I like Leier, but percentage wise I think he's more likely to be a bottom sixer.

I think the same thing about Laczynzki, but he actually has a small chance at being a 2nd liner imho. I was stoked when they drafted him.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I was the first vote for Laczynzki and voted for him last poll as well.

I like Leier, but percentage wise I think he's more likely to be a bottom sixer.

I think the same thing about Laczynzki, but he actually has a small chance at being a 2nd liner imho. I was stoked when they drafted him.

I feel similarly. I'll take an outside shot of a top six player, even a remote one, over what's considered a safe bet fourth liner and possible third liner. Especially with a guy like Lac who isn't one of those boom-or-bust types where the bottom six isn't an implausibility.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Even if some of these remaining guys would have been #6 or 7 in previous years, the problem is they have the "numbers game" working so heavily against them it's hard to expect even one or two of the whole group to stick with the team for multiple years. There are only so many roster spots open, and a slew of better prospects who are going to have an edge when it comes to filling them, not to mention next year's high-round picks who haven't even been drafted yet. Another reason why it's probably eventually going to make sense to trade away some prospects and consolidate.

If there are some future NHLers in this group, there's a good chance it's for another team over the Flyers.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Even if some of these remaining guys would have been #6 or 7 in previous years, the problem is they have the "numbers game" working so heavily against them it's hard to expect even one or two of the whole group to stick with the team for multiple years. There are only so many roster spots open, and a slew of better prospects who are going to have an edge when it comes to filling them, not to mention next year's high-round picks who haven't even been drafted yet. Another reason why it's probably eventually going to make sense to trade away some prospects and consolidate.

If there are some future NHLers in this group, there's a good chance it's for another team over the Flyers.

Or look at other teams....Vancouvers #6 and #7 are Gaunce and Subban....and they included goalies in their list.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Some trades will obviously happen but not all these guys are on same time lines so I really don't see that being an issue. Some of these guys got long signing opportunity windows whether it be overseas or in college & probably will use up most if not all of it. Some will never even get that point of being worthy of an NHL contract.

The older guys like Lyobimov, Leier, Bardreau, Martel, Goulbourne, Hagg, Stolarz, Lyon, etc. this upcoming year is a big year for them to show something in regards to taking the step towards the NHL. Otherwise they could stand to get lost in the shuffle.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I totally disagree with this. Hextall is very clearly trying his best to build a pipeline of homegrown, cheap 4th line talent. If the remaining prospects still on the board show they can fill that role, nothing will stand in there way from cracking our roster. All of these guys fit the bill...

Bardreau
Bunnaman
Dove-McFalls
Fazleev
Goulbourne
Leier
Lyubimov
Twarynski

... Even guys that have already been voted on to the list like Vorobyov and NAK easily could play 4th line. There is nothing blocking any of these guys if they develop.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
FWIW I have a hard time placing Hogberg above Carsen Twarynski as I'm trusting the Flyers judgement on that on (for now).

Judging by some of Hextall's comments about Hogberg, I don't think it's as black and white as 3rd rounder vs 5th rounder. It seems as if maybe they just really thought there was little or no buzz about Hogberg and they could just snap him up a little later. Not so much a reflection on his true draft or talent status in there opinion.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Judging by some of Hextall's comments about Hogberg, I don't think it's as black and white as 3rd rounder vs 5th rounder. It seems as if maybe they just really thought there was little or no buzz about Hogberg and they could just snap him up a little later. Not so much a reflection on his true draft or talent status in there opinion.

Only the Flyers know, but they went 57 picks apart and the Flyers took another player in between and also traded another pick. If they liked him that much, they probably pull the trigger sooner. Teams tend to "reach" on players they like more than the consensus rather than wait for them. If not, and they felt he was a top 90 talent and got him with their 7 pick, hats off to them.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Only the Flyers know, but they went 57 picks apart and the Flyers took another player in between and also traded another pick. If they liked him that much, they probably pull the trigger sooner. Teams tend to "reach" on players they like more than the consensus rather than wait for them. If not, and they felt he was a top 90 talent and got him with their 7 pick, hats off to them.

Totally agree that teams usually reach a bit if they like a player that much, and yeah only the Flyers know. Hextall showed balls of steel and read the board perfectly with the Winnipeg deal the day before. He's pretty clearly not a clown like Sweeney, or someone similar, who can't manage a draft. I give Hextall more credit than the average GM that they just read the situation correctly and played there cards right on Hogberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad