Straka, Petr
Twarynski, Carson
Weal, Jordan
Willcox, Reece
Vasiliev, Valeri

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Fazleev, dammit! Fazleev!

I'm gonna keep voting for him until he finally comes off the board! :)

I'm with you on team Fazleev. Judging by the last poll, Leier is the favorite to win this one, but give me Fazleev. I think he has the makings of possibly a real high-end 4th line center. He stepped up huge at the World Juniors and really showed what a good, versatile player he is. By the end of the tournament you could tell Bragin had big trust in him.

I almost wanted to go Hogberg here, but I'll show a little restraint and pick the known commodity in Fazleev for now. Hogberg is definitely next for me, though. Leier is a nice player, but I have him still a few spots away on my list.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Leier again. Was consistently one of the best Phantoms players night in night out last season. Showed a lot of progress from previous season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Went Fazleev because he can play center.

I have no idea where to place Lyubimov.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Went with Hogberg. Apparently he will be playing in the SHL this year which suggests thatthose in the know regard him very highly. It also seems the Flyers are very high on him. He was drafted late because the Flyers thought he would be there.

Fazleev, Leier etc.. are most likely AHL players or fourth line players. I don't see them being impact players. Hogberg, in contrast, may become a valuable defensman. I don't really value potential 4th line players.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I have Lyubimov next, even though I like Fazleev a lot. I'm hopeful Lyubimov can make an NHL impact somewhere between what Raffl and Bellemare did as rookies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I went Fazleev, but this is where it starts to get difficult.

I'm not comfortable slotting the mid-round 2016 picks above him. I also don't think Leier has 3rd line upside, so being a bit further away but playing Center swung this in Fazleev's favor.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I went Leier, however fazleev is a good option as well, and will be my next vote if he doesn't win here

Who would you be most reluctant to trade: Leier, Fazleev or Hogberg? To me it's an easy question - Hogberg.

Leier is at best a 4th line player. Fazleev is realistically at best a 4th line player. Hogberg at least has upside. I don't understand why Leier and Fazleev are winning this vote.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Who would you be most reluctant to trade: Leier, Fazleev or Hogberg? To me it's an easy question - Hogberg.

Leier is at best a 4th line player. Fazleev is realistically at best a 4th line player. Hogberg at least has upside. I don't understand why Leier and Fazleev are winning this vote.

Leier definitely has 3rd line upside. Probably Fazleev as well.

Leier is being sold short. He's developed very well and has a great all around game.

Even if he's only a 4th liner, having a great homegrown 4th line is important. What a team like the Kings were able to put out on their 4th line was a difference maker.

Hogberg seems to be getting some serious shiny new toy treatment

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

Yes he does have a lot of upside, and he's in my list for top 20 I voted for them because both of them are sure things for 4th liners where as hogberg only has upside at this point, at least imo

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Leier definitely has 3rd line upside. Probably Fazleev as well.

Leier is being sold short. He's developed very well and has a great all around game.

Even if he's only a 4th liner, having a great homegrown 4th line is important. What a team like the Kings were able to put out on their 4th line was a difference maker.

Hogberg seems to be getting some serious shiny new toy treatment

In my view, Laughton has 3rd line upside (I couldn't believe last off season some people proposing trading Couturier because Laughton was going to be surpass him). Leier is a lesser Laughton. They are both good skaters but Leier is smaller and does not have as good a shot. I don't even think Leier has the ability to be a good 4th line player. He takes too many penalties and lacks the size to win board battles. Hogberg is getting new toy treatment? Really? Because I am suggesting he should be ranked 14th top prospect in the organization.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Leier is still the most likely player on this list to have a 5-year NHL career.

Why? He is a small player that is not very good offensively. He takes bad penalties. He does not draw penalties. He is not strong along the boards. What makes him a good fourth line player. I see him as a occasional call up and nothing more. I hope I'm wrong I just don't him or Fazleev in high esteem. Fazleev is a poor skater which is a huge liability in the new NHL.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Were you similarly outraged when Hogberg lasted until pick 139? In the mid 100s, you have a ~15% chance of getting a guy who plays 50 NHL games.

I love the risk-reward with Hoberg too, but we're at the point in this list where ranking a guy who looks likely to hit the NHL over a 5th rounder VERY few members of this board knew a thing about 2 months ago is reasonable. This could be an entirely different situation next summer, of course.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Were you similarly outraged when Hogberg lasted until pick 139? In the mid 100s, you have a ~15% chance of getting a guy who plays 50 NHL games.

I love the risk-reward with Hoberg too, but we're at the point in this list where ranking a guy who looks likely to hit the NHL over a 5th rounder VERY few members of this board knew a thing about 2 months ago is reasonable. This could be an entirely different situation next summer, of course.

Fair. But I can't stand getting excited about 4th line players. I don't care if Kase was ranked here or Maroody or anyone who has upside. Who cares if Leier plays 50 games on the NHL team. He will not even be a good 4th line player.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why? He is a small player that is not very good offensively. He takes bad penalties. He does not draw penalties. He is not strong along the boards. What makes him a good fourth line player. I see him as a occasional call up and nothing more. I hope I'm wrong I just don't him or Fazleev in high esteem. Fazleev is a poor skater which is a huge liability in the new NHL.

How many of Leier's 16 minor penalties in 71 games were bad?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Fair. But I can't stand getting excited about 4th line players. I don't care if Kase was ranked here or Maroody or anyone who has upside. Who cares if Leier plays 50 games on the NHL team. He will not even be a good 4th line player.

Leier paced for 55 points in his second pro season, has speed and smarts, has PK skills and produced on the PP.

He's far from a no skill player.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Leier has 55 PIMs in 150 AHL/NHL games. I know it's nitpicking but you can't really label a player as someone that takes bad penalties when he rarely takes penalties in general.

I know you think Leier's ceiling is a 4th liner but his floor is a good AHL player and I think his ceiling is a 3rd liner. Hogberg's ceiling is probably a #5 defenseman and his floor is an average ECHL player.

To me it's basically like someone saying "Box #1 has anywhere between $3,000-$4,000 in it. Box #2 has between $0 and $5,000. Pick a box". I pick box #1 all day.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm as intrigued about Hogberg as anyone but a lot of that intrigue is based on his age, lack of exposure, and a wide range of possible outcomes. We have a pretty good idea that Leier and Fazleev will not develop into top 6 players at the NHL level. There's a chance (albeit a slim one) that Hogberg may someday play 20 minutes a night in the NHL. But if that happens it's like 5-6 years away. It's the classic floor-ceiling dilemma of evaluating prospects. As stated above, from this point forward their is so little seperation between players it's not really worth getting into a big debate over.

FWIW I have a hard time placing Hogberg above Carsen Twarynski as I'm trusting the Flyers judgement on that on (for now).

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Complete grab bag at this point with those who are left. No clue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad