Prospect Info: 2016-17 Flyers Prospects - Top 20 SKATERS, #14

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Judging by some of Hextall's comments about Hogberg, I don't think it's as black and white as 3rd rounder vs 5th rounder. It seems as if maybe they just really thought there was little or no buzz about Hogberg and they could just snap him up a little later. Not so much a reflection on his true draft or talent status in there opinion.

They called Vorobyov a 2nd round talent, took him in the 4th. Did they rate Samuel Dove-McFalls as a 2nd rounder in a deep draft? I'd have a VERY hard time imagining it. But they took him before Vorobyov. Is DMF better than or have higher potential than Marody taken in the 6th? Kase in the 5th? I agree; it definitely isn't so simple.

Last edited:

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I totally disagree with this. Hextall is very clearly trying his best to build a pipeline of homegrown, cheap 4th line talent. If the remaining prospects still on the board show they can fill that role, nothing will stand in there way from cracking our roster. All of these guys fit the bill...

Bardreau
Bunnaman
Dove-McFalls
Fazleev
Goulbourne
Leier
Lyubimov
Twarynski

... Even guys that have already been voted on to the list like Vorobyov and NAK easily could play 4th line. There is nothing blocking any of these guys if they develop.

So... 10 4th liners, on a roster of 35, plus whoever they draft or sign going forward? I think my point was relying on pretty basic arithmetic :dunno:

This is if you let Read, Gordon, Vandevelde, Weal, and Bellemare go and sign no veteran replacements. You can perhaps count on one guy getting snagged by Las Vegas, but next year's 1st/2nd round pick jumping some of these names too.

Voracek - Giroux - Simmonds
Schenn - Couturier - Konecny
Raffl - Cousins - Weise
Laughton - Rubstov - Lyubimov
Lindblom - Laberge - Aube-Kubel
Leier - Fazleev - Allison
Goulbourne - Marody - Bardreau
Twarynski - Bunnaman - Laczynski

I get it, they're all precious, precious prospects, but if there are eventually more of them in the system who are NHL-caliber than the Flyers have roster openings, then they will be blocking each other. If the prospect pool is actually as deep as we are estimating, then it makes sense to do some dealing.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
So... 10 4th liners, on a roster of 35, plus whoever they draft or sign going forward? I think my point was relying on pretty basic arithmetic :dunno:

This is if you let Read, Gordon, Vandevelde, Weal, and Bellemare go and sign no veteran replacements. You can perhaps count on one guy getting snagged by Las Vegas, but next year's 1st/2nd round pick jumping some of these names too.

Raffl - Cousins - Weise

I get it, they're all precious, precious prospects, but if there are eventually more of them in the system who are NHL-caliber than the Flyers have roster openings, then they will be blocking each other. If the prospect pool is actually as deep as we are estimating, then it makes sense to do some dealing.

No sir! Your name is not KrazyKat, you do not get to write things like this :sarcasm:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Raffl - Cousins - Weise

But you don't need to do the dealings until you have a backlog. Until then, you have healthy competition. Just like we don't need to trade any of our D prospects until we see how they all progress and see if they even all make it.

Hextall will make deals, it's a given. But he will be patient and calculating....like always.

I said it before too, guys like Laberge, Allison, etc, they will likely be replacing guys on our roster looking for bigger money as UFA's...like Simmonds and Schenn.....assuming they progress to their potential of course.

Last edited:

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
But you don't need to do the dealings until you have a backlog. Until then, you have healthy competition. Just like we don't need to trade any of our D prospects until we see how they all progress and see if they even all make it.

Hextall will make deals, it's a given. But he will be patient and calculating....like always.

I said it before too, guys like Laberge, Allison, etc, they will likely be replacing guys on our roster looking for bigger money as UFA's...like Simmonds and Schenn.....assuming they progress to their potential of course.

Right, but here's what I said:

Another reason why it's probably eventually going to make sense to trade away some prospects and consolidate.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Raffl - Cousins - Weise

You are not good at reading. I said...

Hextall is very clearly trying his best to build a pipeline of homegrown, cheap 4th line talent. If the remaining prospects still on the board show they can fill that role, nothing will stand in there way from cracking our roster.

There is nothing blocking any of these guys if they develop.

Which is completely true. I don't know if any of those guys I listed will pan out. If a few do, there should be nothing holding them back from reaching the 4th line.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I'm glad you agree with yourself, but when you're getting down to 8, 9, 10 and beyond on the forward prospect chart, there is some unavoidable arithmetic that comes into play. Anyway, it's been a real pleasure.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm glad you agree with yourself, but when you're getting down to 8, 9, 10 and beyond on the forward prospect chart, there is some unavoidable arithmetic that comes into play. Anyway, it's been a real pleasure.

Oh my mistake. I wasn't aware the guys you listed in the top 4 lines had been given lifetime Flyers contracts. I guess we are married to them for forever. Everyone listed below those lines should just quit hockey. Hextall will never be looking for cheap 4th line talent. He just drafted them to fill out the volleyball tournament at Trial on the Isle. God forbid 2 or 3 actually make it to the 4th line or 13 forward slot. That's unfathomable.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The issue is when you start getting to guys in that range & beyond they're not really worth much (if at all in some guys cases) when discussing their value in trades. So it's not so much of holding these guys in high regard as it is that they're just worth more to the Flyers than they are to other organizations.

I know he's not a forward but you can still apply the same standard for Hagg given the depth on the backend in the system. The Flyers invested a second rounder in him. You're not getting that type of return back right now for him in a trade. He'd likely be a small additional piece in a trade if moved. Is that really worth it?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The issue is when you start getting to guys in that range & beyond they're not really worth much (if at all in some guys cases) when discussing their value in trades. So it's not so much of holding these guys in high regard as it is that they're just worth more to the Flyers than they are to other organizations.

I know he's not a forward but you can still apply the same standard for Hagg given the depth on the backend in the system. The Flyers invested a second rounder in him. You're not getting that type of return back right now for him in a trade. He'd likely be a small additional piece in a trade if moved. Is that really worth it?

But I think Hagg's lower value today is tied to his play since being drafted...not who we have playing in front of him or who has been better.

If he has a good year this year, his value will go up again.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
To be fair, I think Goulbourne has just as much of a chance to be in the NHL in 5 years from now as Leier. Leier could end up a Matsumoto type that is a great AHL player but never becomes a full time NHL guy if he doesn't work on his two-way play because he's not nearly good enough to crack a top 6. There are places on every team for someone like Goulbourne. If Rinaldo can play 5 season in the NHL, I think Goulbourne can too.

Are you at all familiar with Leier?

I ask because you mention that he needs to work on his two way play... but that's the exact thing that's making it likely he ends up in the NHL. He's a good two way player, despite being on the small side. His offense isn't going to get him to the NHL, but a bottom 6 role seems very possible.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fair. But I can't stand getting excited about 4th line players. I don't care if Kase was ranked here or Maroody or anyone who has upside. Who cares if Leier plays 50 games on the NHL team. He will not even be a good 4th line player.

I guess Leier should just hang em' up then.

briererocks has spoken. Not future for Taylor!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But I think Hagg's lower value today is tied to his play since being drafted...not who we have playing in front of him or who has been better.

If he has a good year this year, his value will go up again.

That was my point. For whatever reason these guys aren't bringing back much in return if traded so you'd just moving them for the sake of doing so. The guys that other teams would be interested in are the guys at the top of the Flyers prospect pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad