Prospect Info: 2016-17 Flyers Prospects - Top 20 SKATERS, #12

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Same for me.

I believe Fazleev will be a similar player like Rusty Fedotenko. Solid bottom 6 forward with good allround ability who can move up and down the lineup.

I almost went Fazleev but went Leier as I hope he can become a dependable bottom 6er.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Interested in seeing the progression Vorobyov could make this season. Top line on the WJC team and KHL time. Dont know how he feels about coming to NA, but he will have other Russians here... Provorov, Rubstov, Fazleev, etc

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
I think I'd still have these guys ahead of weal and Lyubimov.
Friedman, Vorobyov, Martel, Fazleev, Leier, and I am rooting for Goulbourne.

Martel and Weal had pretty much the same stats, with Martel being a bit older (four months) and playing in slightly worse league. Right now, I would rank Weal ahead of Martel, just because he's closer to the NHL.

With Leier and Fazleev scoring isn't the only option they can make it to the NHL. Lower ceiling and higher floor, I would rank them after those boom or bust prospects, and also behind Lyubimov due to his pro experience in the KHL.

Final Junior Season:

[table="head";width=800px]Name|Season|League|Age|Height|Weight|Games|Goals|Points
Danick Martel|14/15|QMJHL|20|5'8''|161|64|48|102
Jordan Weal|11/12|WHL|19|5'9''|179|70|41|116
Radel Fazleev|15/16|WHL|19|6'1''|176|59|19|71
Taylor Leier|13/14|WHL|19|5'10''|176|62|37|69
[/table]

First Pro Season:

[table="head";width=800px]Name|Season|League|Age|Height|Weight|Games|Goals|Points
Danick Martel|15/16|AHL|21|5'8''|161|67|22|37
Jordan Weal|12/13|AHL|20|5'9''|179|63|15|33
Radel Fazleev|16/17|AHL|20|6'1''|176|-|-|-
Taylor Leier|14/15|AHL|20|5'10''|176|73|13|31
[/table]

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Easy Friedman for me. Both he and Vorobyov have too much upside for me to consider the Leier/Fazleev types yet.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Leier & Fazleev are different players than Weal. So just looking at points isn't going to do them justice there. Leier & Fazleev have more traditional bottom six qualities than Weal. So they're more so defined in a role.

Martel's still a longshot but despite being smaller than Weal he's faster & more shifty of the two. He also plays with some grit which will help his case with NHL people. Martel still has time on his side while Weal doesn't really have much if at all which is probably the biggest thing here.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I agree; I take Martel over Weal. While they might both end up undersized tweeners, Weal's skating was disappointing by my viewing. Awkward, slow, short stride. He's got good hands but he can't get open and is susceptible to contact. Martel is a speed demon with more tenacity. What Weal lacks Martel has. He had a good rookie year and was a solid scorer on a bad team. He might be able to leap tweener status.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
Leier & Fazleev are different players than Weal. So just looking at points isn't going to do them justice there. Leier & Fazleev have more traditional bottom six qualities than Weal. So they're more so defined in a role.

Martel's still a longshot but despite being smaller than Weal he's faster & more shifty of the two. He also plays with some grit which will help his case with NHL people. Martel still has time on his side while Weal doesn't really have much if at all which is probably the biggest thing here.

I agree; I take Martel over Weal. While they might both end up undersized tweeners, Weal's skating was disappointing by my viewing. Awkward, slow, short stride. He's got good hands but he can't get open and is susceptible to contact. Martel is a speed demon with more tenacity. What Weal lacks Martel has. He had a good rookie year and was a solid scorer on a bad team. He might be able to leap tweener status.

I completely agree about Leier and Fazleev, and Goulbourne as well, they hav a chance to make it in the bottom six. That's what I said in my previous post. I'm just saying that I take a potential top six player over a bottom six player, even if the second one is more likely to fulfill his potential.

For Weal and Martel, I take Weal. He has (slightly) better stats at comparable age, he is the better player right now and he has two point per game seasons in the AHL under his belt. He may be a better version of Jason Akeson, or he may be good enough to make the NHL.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
For Weal and Martel, I take Weal. He has (slightly) better stats at comparable age, he is the better player right now and he has two point per game seasons in the AHL under his belt. He may be a better version of Jason Akeson, or he may be good enough to make the NHL.

I don't really worry about their minutely different PPGs tbh. Their results were comparable. And I look at Mike Hoffman who had 25 points in 75 games his AHL rookie year. He's doing aight. It's about the skill set. And it's not like Martel didn't have a nice year on a crap team. Weal also got to play with Toffoli, Pearson, King, Muzzin. Weal is a tremendous AHL player. But he isn't the first nor the last -- if he indeed can't cut it -- to be unable to translate that to the bigs. Weal is small (which I'm OK with), but he's also not fleet of foot, though he's got some shiftiness, nor did he strike me as an intelligent 200 ft player. Last one is the kiss of death. This was Akeson's problem too. Weal is probably a better version.

I look at Cousins who is every bit as small and underwhelming a skater as them...but he's got sand paper and a lot of smarts on top of the skill. You can make do with that. Martel has the skill, sandpaper, and a ton of speed. I think his package may be more translatable. But who knows? He's still got a lot of work left to round out his game, if he can, and prove he can play the 2-way game the NHL demands. Time is on his side though.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I look at Cousins who is every bit as small and underwhelming a skater as them...but he's got sand paper and a lot of smarts on top of the skill. You can make do with that.

I could not agree more, especially on the bolded. I don't expect much in the way of scoring, but we can see him applying his hockey IQ at this level already when we look at Controlled Zone Exit metrics and the like. That's the kind of skill that should continue to play for his entire NHL career.

I wish I saw more Phantoms games to know if he did that right away in the AHL or if it took a while to come around as his offense did.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Martel/Leier-Weal-Lyubimov would be an interesting "audition" line in the AHL.

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
What's Ghoul's upside? Floor?

Kid seems to be tough and can fight, is there a realistic chance he can be a 4th line winger for the Flyers one day?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
A chance? Yeah. This is a big year for him though. There is a ton of competition for 4th line spots.

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
A chance? Yeah. This is a big year for him though. There is a ton of competition for 4th line spots.

I guess a better way of phrasing it, would be is there a realistic shot? I understand not wasting roster spots on "goons" as it used to be but I like the idea of having someone who can fight and can take some of the duties away from simmer

https://youtu.be/oo2ONd6eqDA

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Will probably be able to give you a better answer after seeing him play this year. He did some nice things last year and would disappear other times. Hard to speak in any certainties about a player that projects as a 4th liner. He can skate, hit, fight, and isn't a complete zero with the puck. He needs to show he can be an effective PKer and be a dependable defensive player to be an NHL player.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's MY kind of 19 year old 3rd round pick! Let's see who went after him in the 3rd round...Buchnevich, Duclair, Andrighetto, Bjorkstrand. :pullhair:

Bjork is who I wanted. I admit seeing Duclair play and not wanting him over Bjork. He has played better that I thought he would. But when Goule was taken, I was in shock as I had never heard of him. Then when I saw what he was, I was pissed.

I thought us watching Leier would have allowed them to see his potential and upside. I was wrong.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's MY kind of 19 year old 3rd round pick! Let's see who went after him in the 3rd round...Buchnevich, Duclair, Andrighetto, Bjorkstrand. :pullhair:

Especially when you considering Bjork was HIGHER on their ****ing draft board.

:rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad