2016-17 CBJ "Buy/Sell"

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
For all the shoulder patters, I thought the point of the game was to pose a question for the next person to answer not make a prediction. I didn't realize that the questioner was taking the over (or under if applicable).:dunno:

I was under the same impression. I know that I didn't assert that my "buy/sells" were what I expected to happen.

I think I was 5-2 on the ones I responded to. Didn't see Atkinson getting 30.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I was under the same impression. I know that I didn't assert that my "buy/sells" were what I expected to happen.

I think I was 5-2 on the ones I responded to. Didn't see Atkinson getting 30.

Yeah they're not necessarily predictions. I looked for things that I thought I could get good odds on, underrated players I could talk up, etc...

We do have predictions in other threads though. ..

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
For all the shoulder patters, I thought the point of the game was to pose a question for the next person to answer not make a prediction. I didn't realize that the questioner was taking the over (or under if applicable).:dunno:

I think I was 5-2 on the ones I responded to.

Yep. If anything I'd consider the buyer or seller the one making the prediction. Even that's probably questionable.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I just quoted mine and the reply for context on the only reply I had in the thread. Given the situation I thought it was interesting, not to self congratulate or one up anyone.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

Thanks for ruining it. First time in 3 years I been bragging on myself here and the Old Folks home and you go and do that. Geeeeezzz.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks for ruining it. First time in 3 years I been bragging on myself here and the Old Folks home and you go and do that. Geeeeezzz.

As a fellow old guy, I'm sorry. I'll give you credit for being prescient for identifying a bunch of things that should have been bought. As opposed to my wife who buys many things that shouldn't be. :laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well let's see here.

Hard one. Is he productive? If so, buy. If he plays (plays, not scores) like he did last season, sell.

The first Fire Torts thread appears on the boards in November.
Not sure if one ever appeared this year. I don't think so though. The only time one could have was after the first 2 games. So I think that I was wrong.

Buy, because I think he is either going on LTIR and waives or he is healthy and waives for the expansion draft knowing he won't get picked.

Anton Forsberg wins the backup job.

Sell. I still think he's a good player and can bring something to a playoff team.

Matt Calvert gets traded this season

Sell. Lost too many players. Might not even make the playoffs.

The yearly Bob groin injury happens in November

giphy.gif

(and please for Gods sake stay wrong)

Sell.

Sell.

Dubinsky scores 20 this year (if healthy)

Looks like I'll be

giphy.gif

Likely buy, but don't discount Forsberg.

Campbell gets traded at the deadline for a conditional pick

giphy.gif

Sell. The suck is strong with him.

Heatherington makes his NHL debut this year

giphy.gif

Buy. Its really the only thing he can do anymore.

Brandon Saad scores on a breakaway.

:handclap::laugh:

Sell. Pittsburgh, both New Yorks, Washington, Carolina, and maybe even Philly are better than us. Heck jersey could be too.

Tyutin and Boll get a welcome back video tribute

:handclap:

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
** BUMP **

In a couple weeks, we will probably do our annual exercise known as Buy/Sell. Before we start, I thought it might be fun for us to look back to what we, as a community bought, and what we sold last year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Lots of do overs would be appreciated by many on here including yours truly who suggested a 0-14 start was possible. Can't wait for this years game.

Pre Season:

Buy/Sell: Most prognosticators will be right this year. :laugh:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
sell, I think he will start about 50 IF healthy

Wennberg will get 50 assists.
Sooooo close

Sell. The Jackets schedule is front-loaded against the West and quite a few playoff teams. Plus, they haven't had 12 points in their first 12 games since 2010 (16 points at 8-4).

Seth Jones will finish in the top 5 Norris voting.
Zach and Seth got votes, I didn't see that happening AT ALL last season
Sell. He'll have a good year but not quite that good.

Werenski scores 10 or more goals.
Got em!
Sell - OB usually takes time to adjust to a new league. That doesn't bode well of awards.

Bobrovsky will start 60 games and have a GAA greater than .920
Got em!

Buy. Easily. I don't buy into the "injury prone" narrative with him.

Buy/Sell: Atkinson will finally reach 30 goals this season.
Got em!
Buy.

Wenns leads the team in scoring (points).
If he had finished stronger he would have.

Gonna sell only because it's so rare to spend an entire season on one line. If we're going to look only at his time spent with a certain set of linemates... I'll still sell.

Bjorkstrand starts the year in Columbus but spends some time in the AHL.
Wow, got that one right

Buy. I think there's a fire lit under his ass this season and shows us glimpses of Vezina Bob.

Buy/Sell: Jackets have a rookie in the discussion for the Calder trophy.
Damn 2/2 on this one.

Buy/Sell : we have 2 defenceman break 40 points this year.
Ehem...

I can't agree man. I think Jones breaks 40 and pushes for 50, meanwhile I think Murray and Savard both flirt with 40.

Sell I don't think he'll see the time.

Buy/Sell: Wennberg scores more than 55 points and still gets no respect on HF
I was wayyyyy off on which dmen (Murray really? I must've been pretty damn baked for that)

And I was wrong about Wennnerg, he might not be getting attention, but I think he's finally getting some respect. Another season or two at last year's Pace and he'll have it.

Sell. Murray, Jones, JJ, Savard, Werenski, Prout, Goloubef, Kukan, Ramage, Nutivaara, Harrington are all ahead of him IMO. Maybe he leapfrogs over them and gets a game or two just so Jarmo and co. can see how he fares but yeah.. I think 2017-18 is his year.

Buy/Sell: Abramov scores 100+ points in the Q
Abramov with the Q scoring title!

There were a lot of good predictions last season!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Buy/Sell: Werenski hits a point no later than February or March when "the light comes on".

Sell. I think he starts off strong and then cools down around the mid point of the season. And a lot of debating will ensue.

I think I was close on Werenski. He didn't go ice cold, but his first half of the season was on fire. Luckily the debating had to do with how great Werenski is rather than something more sinister.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
My predictions in bold:

Buy/sell Columbus will have 5+ shutouts

Sell. There is seldom a moment that I am not worried about Bob (whether it's his health or consistency), McElhinney won't get many shutouts, and Korpisalo still has a lot to prove.
Wrong.

Dubois doesn't even play nine games.
Check.

Buy/Sell Murray has more points than Jones.

Sell; I see Jones being leaned on more for offense.
Check.

Buy/sell: Jackets win over 41 games.
Ding ding ding! :handclap:

Buy/Sell: If Foligno, Bob and Dubinsky all don't rebound and have much better seasons, then any hope of the CBJ making the playoffs is gone.

Buy; scoring throughout the lineup will be crucial, as will goaltending.
Uh, right... I... guess?

Buy/sell: We find some way out of the Clarkson debacle before the expansion draft (i.e. he ends up not occupying a protection slot, whether because he waives his NMC, gets traded, ...)
Check.

Buy/Sell: Columbus takes an entire series (wins all of the games) over an Eastern Conference opponent.

Sell, since we still have a young team and even if they improve, I still think they will lack consistency.
I don't know, did we sweep any of our season series'?

Buy/sell: Heatherington sees NHL time this season.
Nope.

[Buy/Sell] John Tortorella's playbook is vertical.

Sell; I can't recall seeing Torts' playbook in particular, but when I googled "hockey playbook", most examples were horizontal.
I'll admit, I didn't understand what the question meant, so my answer was sort of tongue-in-cheek.

Buy/sell: The Jackets' first goal is scored by someone who wasn't a regular last season.
Wrong, it was Wennberg of all people.

Tyutin and Boll get a welcome back video tribute

Buy, at least for Boll. People seem to have taken a liking to him for his fighting and tenacity, just as with Shelley before him.
Was he acknowledged in some fashion?

Buy/Sell: The Jackets trade one of their NHL or AHL goalies.
Close, but no.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Buy/sell: We find some way out of the Clarkson debacle before the expansion draft (i.e. he ends up not occupying a protection slot, whether because he waives his NMC, gets traded, ...)

Buy, because I think he is either going on LTIR and waives or he is healthy and waives for the expansion draft knowing he won't get picked.

Wow....................................

Hey CBJW10.....can you help me with my portfolio?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Buy. He saw AHL time last season. If he doesn't see AHL time, it doesn't bode well for the CBJ.

Jackets start the season's first 12 games with 12 points or more.

Sell. The Jackets schedule is front-loaded against the West and quite a few playoff teams. Plus, they haven't had 12 points in their first 12 games since 2010 (16 points at 8-4).

Seth Jones will finish in the top 5 Norris voting.

WRONG - CBJ went 6-4-2 for 14 points in their first 12 games.

Buy he had 20 in 41 games for CBJ last season so seems like that is reasonable.

JJ is at least 3rd in ice time for d-men (likely Murray and Jones 1/2).

Buy. I think Torts and the assistants realized he was better facing middle competition instead of 25+ minutes against top lines.

More than 4 rookies make the team out of camp.

JJ did finish 3rd in ATOI on the team, Jones and Savard were 1 and 2. No idea what the final count was on the rookies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad