Prospect Info: 2016-17 Calgary Flames Prospect Stats & Discussion Thread (CHL, NCAA & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Anyone wonder why Klimchuk hasn't been given a shot at the NHL level already? Guy looked pretty much ready through last year in Stockton by my eye.

Seems like we might just be best suited to trading him at this point for a position we're not as deep at

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Anyone wonder why Klimchuk hasn't been given a shot at the NHL level already? Guy looked pretty much ready through last year in Stockton by my eye.

Seems like we might just be best suited to trading him at this point for a position we're not as deep at

To be fair, nobody besides high picks or high pedigree guys have really gotten a shot at the NHL as of late.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Is Jankowski at camp? If so, surprised not to see him there.

I forget whose rule it is but they only make you attend 3, everything after that is optional. Janko has been to 5 already. It's also why it's good to see Poirier back because he doesn't need to go, but he felt like he should.

I'll be there tomorrow as well.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Is Jankowski at camp? If so, surprised not to see him there.

General rule of thumb is once a lot of prospects reach 21-22 or so they've been to enough of them that they don't have to anymore. Not nearly as much point when you are already playing pro hockey.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
General rule of thumb is once a lot of prospects reach 21-22 or so they've been to enough of them that they don't have to anymore. Not nearly as much point when you are already playing pro hockey.

The camps like the one this week, are more for the young guys to get some team bonding in there, understand where their fitness needs to be (see Andersson), how to take care of themselves off the ice and not be a tool on social media.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Starting to sound like Poirier could be a darkhorse to make the team out of camp?

I really hoping that some of these guys can start to make an impact on our roster soon. Out of Poirier, Klimchuk, Jankowski, Dube, Mangiapane, Foo, even if only 25% of them pan out that is a huge help up front. Edit: Forgot Shinkurak

Plus Healey, Kulak, Anderssen, Valimaki, Kylington, Fox on defense, and Gilles, Parsons, Rittich in net, I really like how our pool is shaping up.

Looking at Pittsburgh's roster makes me appreciate that some prospects take longer, like Dumolin.

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I wonder how much of that is simply viewing bias in the sense he's looking harder at them. I know I had that problem when I attended. You are specifically watching certain guys so they stand out more.

I can't speak to all of this since I've been focusing on some of the same guys, but Foo has legitimately stood out (as he should at his age). I couldn't even tell who was playing for white most of the time but often when I saw a dude make a good offensive play, he'd turn around and I'd see Foo on his back.

Parsons is another guy who I haven't been explicitly looking for, who has stood out as playing very well.

Edit: Add Dube and AOM to the list.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You'd have to kind of expect that out of Poirier. He's probably feeling fantastic after going through a dark period in his life, and has a lot to prove. Question is whether he can sustain it through training camp, and if necessary through the AHL season.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I guess I'm just caught up in the hype of the moment, but upon further reflection between the pool and the team, I'm super excited.

The pool I feel is legitimately deep, albeit lacking some top blue chip talent up front, but 6-10 guys I feel have "potential" to be bottom nine NHL forwards (counting a few like Lomberg as 4th liners). 6 defenseman with NHL upside, and then 3 goalies with NHL upside? Feels good.

Plus looking at the NHL team. Only guys over 30 are Smith, Stajan, Brouwer, Gio, Versteeg.

Lots of key guys in the 25-30 range sure, but still plenty of young talent under 25 as well.

If we can get a legit young starter someday out of one of our prospects or trades, and manage our cap well, I like our chances to stay competitive for a while.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Starting to sound like Poirier could be a darkhorse to make the team out of camp?

Personally I'd like to see him spend another year in the AHL to make sure he doesn't fall off the wagon again. Oftentimes getting off the sauce starts out pretty rocky.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Think that was a fairly big exaggeration regarding Poirier. He was good, and was flying, but I didn't see anymore high skill plays from him than the next guy.

Dube was easily the best player on the ice.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
To be fair, we've not had a non-high pick prospect force his way onto the roster since Jooris and Kulak.

That is the result of great drafting. I am still waiting for T Button to prove his competency.

Also I wouldnt say Jooris and Kulak forced their way. Jooris lucked out for about 20 games after that he was a scrub. Kulak didnt really make a statement like some people believe but I agree there is still some hope for him.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Went for a bit this morning. I thought the Valimaki - Fox pairing were dynamite. Looked like they have been playing together a lot longer than a few days.

Dube was the best forward on the ice. Didn't notice Poirier as much. Kylington was pretty meh. Good shows of skill mixed in with poor decisions.

The biggest change i've noticed over the last few years is the shift from offence to defence. Standouts from years past were Gaudreau, Jankowski, Granlund, Jooris from what I can remember. This year, it was all defence as Andersson, Valimaki, Fox were some of the best players on the ice.

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
With Poirier I think it's best to let him prove he is ready in the AHL for a while before he gets a call-up. I believe he is waiver eligible, so it's important that he demonstrates that his comeback is legit before the team risks him not performing well and giving him up for nothing.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
So...taking into account that Dube would be heading back to junior. Odds of him making the team? I've heard from 2 other friends (non HF members) that he's looked fantastic. Include what has been said on here so far...I know I'm starting the hype train waaaaaaay to early, but if he forces himself onto the team, where does he fit?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So...taking into account that Dube would be heading back to junior. Odds of him making the team? I've heard from 2 other friends (non HF members) that he's looked fantastic. Include what has been said on here so far...I know I'm starting the hype train waaaaaaay to early, but if he forces himself onto the team, where does he fit?

Versteeg-Bennett-Dube but it's not likely happening. Jankowski in particular is ahead of him.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Versteeg-Bennett-Dube but it's not likely happening. Jankowski in particular is ahead of him.

Yeah, I'm not being unrealistic, just excited more from what I've been hearing. If Janko is ever going to be ready, now is the time. Pumped to see him in the fall...Add the fact that we may still add another depth forward for the RW...Although nobody left really has my attention outside of Jagr, I'd rather just role with what we have and see where we land going into the season.

I'd do Iginla on a low dollar 1 year just for the fan excitement and the fact he can still face smash.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Well he is the type of player who can easily play on the 3rd or 4th line, so if he does make it he could push out anyone who's underperforming. But as good as he has looked, imagine he'll have to be exceptional to grab a spot given the fact that he is junior eligible still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad