2016-17 Blues Discussion Thread Part III

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Who would you say was because for most of the season, just about everyone was lackluster.

Most had down seasons, but Stastny and Steen were still better on the ice, and even though Schwartz was not at his best for most of the season, I usually liked his play more than Fabbri's, though it was very close with those 2. Fabbri's production just wasn't there like it could've been, and he's not at a point yet where he brings significant value outside of his production.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Most had down seasons, but Stastny and Steen were still better on the ice, and even though Schwartz was not at his best for most of the season, I usually liked his play more than Fabbri's, though it was very close with those 2. Fabbri's production just wasn't there like it could've been, and he's not at a point yet where he brings significant value outside of his production.

For what I remember, Stastny was playing better but I wouldnt put Steen up there. He was struggling, Always trying to do too much. Schwartz I would agree with being similar, doing all the right things but the points weren't there.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Fabbri was awful to start the season but began to find his groove about 20 games in. I feel like he's one of those players that gets better as the season progresses so the injury was really unfortunate. No doubt we could use him right now in the playoffs.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For what I remember, Stastny was playing better but I wouldnt put Steen up there. He was struggling, Always trying to do too much. Schwartz I would agree with being similar, doing all the right things but the points weren't there.

In all honestly, all forwards except Tarasenko has some pretty poor stretches, and also stretches of being really good. There was a stretch were Berglund was our 1st or 2nd best forward. I just don't think we should overrate what Fabbri did just because of what we think he can do in the future.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I would wonder if this season of success has moved the Wolves ownership. Maybe the Blues can provide them with some good talent to keep things stable

Unless there is going to be an AHL team getting added very soon, there is going to be someone sharing a team next season. Chicago are the most to end up doing that in some form if it is necessary.

We already have a lot of players who could potentially be AHL guys next season: Husso, Binnington, Opilka, Dunn, Walman, Vannelli, Sergeev, Lindbohm, Mikkola, Barbashev, Sanford, Thompson, Musil, Blais, MacEachern and Bleackley.

Now, we have options with some of those guys (Opilka back to junior as an overager? Sergeev & Vannelli to ECHL? Barbashev, Sanford and/or Dunn being on the NHL roster?), but it would be tough to be sharing an AHL team. Particularly when none of that factors in the the more experienced guys that we'd need to have signed as well (Butler, Megan, Agozzino).

So looking to throwing Yakupov an offer that could have him in the AHL might be problematic, depending on a number of factors.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
In all honestly, all forwards except Tarasenko has some pretty poor stretches, and also stretches of being really good. There was a stretch were Berglund was our 1st or 2nd best forward. I just don't think we should overrate what Fabbri did just because of what we think he can do in the future.

Berglund did look like one of our best forwards for a lengthy stretch.

I dont think its overrating him as much as its people underrating him due to his absence. IIRC Hitch had him bouncing around the lineup to spark other lines, and had him for a few stretches with Tarasenko. It took a few games but when those 3 were on, they were our best duo. They actually looked like a dynamic threat, but Hitch kept breaking it up. Then Fabbri was injured either the 1st or 2nd game of the Yeo era.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Berglund did look like one of our best forwards for a lengthy stretch.

I dont think its overrating him as much as its people underrating him due to his absence. IIRC Hitch had him bouncing around the lineup to spark other lines, and had him for a few stretches with Tarasenko. It took a few games but when those 3 were on, they were our best duo. They actually looked like a dynamic threat, but Hitch kept breaking it up. Then Fabbri was injured either the 1st or 2nd game of the Yeo era.

Definitely, Fabbri is one of the few on our team that can genuinely create offense and make things happen, but people also aren't underrating him by saying Drouin is worth more or better or has a higher ceiling.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Definitely, Fabbri is one of the few on our team that can genuinely create offense and make things happen, but people also aren't underrating him by saying Drouin is worth more or better or has a higher ceiling.

By how much though. That's where the issue is. I still see Fabbri as a 60+pt player and Drouin as the flashier 70pt guy. I dont see it as a clear cut "lets rush Fabbri out the door" upgrade. Granted I dont watch much TB but Drouin doesn't look like the total package player Fabbri demonstrated. Now I will say this year Fabbri didnt look as good as before but the whole Dzone was a mess.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I will miss tonight's game. Going with my daughter to a Cards game.

I'm predicting a Blues loss. I think their body language in recent interviews shows that they are resigned to their fate rather than being confident and upbeat. The Preds will dictate the game, once again, and that is the problem. I don't know if there are significant injuries, problems in the locker room, or a resignation that this isn't their season.

Sorry to be doom and gloom. I just don't see a heck of a lot in confidence coming from this team. The team needs to want it more than the fans, I don't see that enough to be positive.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I will miss tonight's game. Going with my daughter to a Cards game.

I'm predicting a Blues loss. I think their body language in recent interviews shows that they are resigned to their fate rather than being confident and upbeat. The Preds will dictate the game, once again, and that is the problem. I don't know if there are significant injuries, problems in the locker room, or a resignation that this isn't their season.

Sorry to be doom and gloom. I just don't see a heck of a lot in confidence coming from this team. The team needs to want it more than the fans, I don't see that enough to be positive.

I think you're right. Its a bit maddening because I think the West is open for the taking this year. Nashville is playing well, but they are no juggernaut. And the Blues could compete with the winner of Edmonton/Anaheim. Those are both flawed teams that could be beaten.

I hope they surprise me and find a way to win Game 4 tonight, but the truth is that they've already exceeded expectations, and I think they know it.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I know I shouldn't, but I feel ok about tonight. That said they'll probably lose by 5 goals.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
On my phone or else I'd link it but per JR Sanford is in. Possible PRV is as well.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Wait, what? Sanford, but no Barbashev? Does this mean Lehtera still plays, or are we running Sobotka at C finally?

Schwartz Sobotka Tarasenko
Sanford Stastny Perron
Steen Berglund Paajarvi

???

Spicy Panger

Jan 17, 2015

For those who can't see Twitter:

Jeremy Rutherford
Here's my guess at #stlblues lines
Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Steen-Sanford
Paajarvi-Berglund-Perron
Upshall-Lehtera-Reaves
1:23 PM

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Sorry to be so doom and gloom. I love the Blues, but like many if you I'm disappointed in their lack of focus and intensity. I've seen them play great hockey, but too often I ser them "check out". There must be some reasons for it that they can not disclose.

I'd rather see them lose but throw everything they have at the Preds than skate casual, uninspired hockey and have us all wonder what the hell is going on. In my view their 1st round win was a measure of success to what was looking like a bad season. If this is the limit of their success for the year, lets see them put everything out there so that there is no doubt about their commitment.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Steen as center? I like this move since he's injured - but Sobotka had better be taking his faceoffs.

Edit: wait, Lehtera instead of Brodz on the 4th line? Pls stop.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Steen as center? I like this move since he's injured - but Sobotka had better be taking his faceoffs.

Edit: wait, Lehtera instead of Brodz on the 4th line? Pls stop.

Brod might have issues with attitude, injury, or both. Maybe he's spent physically and emotionally and needs a break. Maybe Yeo knows this whole thing is "iffy" and he is willing to get Sanford some playoff experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad