2016-17 Blues Discussion Thread Part III

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Continuing the Dunn-Schmaltz discussion...

I too was surprised about what JR said about Schmaltz but I think we have enough fans on this board that have seen Schmaltz play to know that he's clearly not a concern. We would know if he was really playing bad, and it doesn't sound like he is.

So in that regard, if this is purely about Vince Dunn looking awesome, it's really good news. Hopefully both guys become good players but if only one can become good, we need it to be Dunn. Having him on the left side next to Pietrangelo or Parayko in the future sounds ****ing dynamite.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
That guy is the same one who got his face pounded by Reaves and acted like he won the fight

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Dunn has a future in hockey that's for sure. Kinda reminds me of Fabbri, but tougher. Just in regards of being skilled players that play with a competitive edge way above their size.

I like it a lot.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
You can't see it in that video posted above, but at the end of the game (the score was already 4-1, essentially over), the Iowa player, Gabriel, cheap-shotted Dunn with a cross-check to the face. A line brawl ensued, which resulted in some players being ejected, including Gabriel and Dunn. The off-ice fight occurred as they were both walking back to their locker rooms after already fighting on the ice and being thrown out of the game.

Here's a link to the highlights (skip to 4:08):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgtrEnNdA2U

It's also worth noting that Gabriel has 4 inches and 25 pounds on Dunn.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Vince Dunn is going to be Keith-esque. I've been feeling this for a while, and similar to how watching Parayko in Fairbanks made me feel (to prehaps a lesser extent watching Dunn). He is really going to be special.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The discussion here got me to read JR's Q and A session.
He said that Dunn could be in St. Louis next year, and that Schmaltz is "drifting as a prospect."

Schmaltz appeared to have everything going for him. He has good size, former first rounder, nearly two years in the minors to develop, right-handed shot.

Rutherford doesn't watch the Wolves play, so he must have obtained this information from within the Blues organization. It is surprising news. From the comments on this forum, I considered it a near certainty that Schmaltz would move up as soon as Shattenkirk left town.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Jeesus, Dunn has temper. Gabriel isn't the smallest guy. He's 193cm and almost 100kg.

I love already Dunn.

tumblr_nn8oqvp5xq1tlb56zo1_500.gif

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
The discussion here got me to read JR's Q and A session.
He said that Dunn could be in St. Louis next year, and that Schmaltz is "drifting as a prospect."

Schmaltz appeared to have everything going for him. He has good size, former first rounder, nearly two years in the minors to develop, right-handed shot.

Rutherford doesn't watch the Wolves play, so he must have obtained this information from within the Blues organization. It is surprising news. From the comments on this forum, I considered it a near certainty that Schmaltz would move up as soon as Shattenkirk left town.

Love what I'm hearing about Dunn.

Regarding Schmaltz, we really just need him to be better than Borts...which seems like a very low bar to hurdle.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ill say this....Barbashev seemed to have the same critisim till he stepped on the NHL ice. If Schmaltz can hold down the 3rd pairing...we'll be fine. If they felt he was slipping, i would assume they would have looked for a trade

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If Dunn and Schmaltz make it to the NHL next year (which I don't have high hopes they will) I think it would be best to pair Dunn with Parayko and Schmaltz with Bo. I think Bo and Parayko can cover for them until they get a good feel for the NHL. And yes this means Ed with Pie.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If Dunn and Schmaltz make it to the NHL next year (which I don't have high hopes they will) I think it would be best to pair Dunn with Parayko and Schmaltz with Bo. I think Bo and Parayko can cover for them until they get a good feel for the NHL. And yes this means Ed with Pie.
Ed and Pietrangelo have been fine together. Wouldn't have an issue with that

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Ed and Pietrangelo have been fine together. Wouldn't have an issue with that

Yep, I agree, that's why I would be fine with Bo with Schmaltz. I justr don't really trust Ed heading a pair quite yet. Pie-Parayko-Bo seems like the better players to lead their pairs.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
You can't see it in that video posted above, but at the end of the game (the score was already 4-1, essentially over), the Iowa player, Gabriel, cheap-shotted Dunn with a cross-check to the face. A line brawl ensued, which resulted in some players being ejected, including Gabriel and Dunn. The off-ice fight occurred as they were both walking back to their locker rooms after already fighting on the ice and being thrown out of the game.

Picture of Gabriel after trying to fight Dunn again off the ice:

iz6uXME.jpg

:biglaugh:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

Thanks for sharing this. I rewatched it like 10 times haha. Nice rush by Dunn earlier and a pretty save by Copely in there too.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
At least one of them should make it. Schmaltz should, if Shattenkirk is gone.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't get why people think Schmaltz isn't going to be here next season. He's going to be 24 years old when the regular season starts. He's not some super young prospect anymore. He needs to start playing in the NHL. Period.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
I don't get why people think Schmaltz isn't going to be here next season. He's going to be 24 years old when the regular season starts. He's not some super young prospect anymore. He needs to start playing in the NHL. Period.

I can't speak for everybody else .. but for me, what JR said about Schmaltz in his chat on Friday was disconcerting. I assume this is the impression JR is getting from the Blues FO and not an opinion he developed while watching the Wolves play. I could be wrong on that front and maybe that's JR's opinion of watching him play ... but I don't have the time to watch the Blues and Wolves so I rely on what the media, and what many here are reporting.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

Man that was awesome. Scooter <3

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

I love how Scooter ran over to intercept the one guy, and also how Wiz saw Dunn get checked in the jaw and ran over to help asap.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I gotta imagine a Lehtera buyout is gonna happen, it's really inevitable. The Blues look decent cap space wise if they dump him. Can probably afford to sign Parayko long term too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad