Post-Game Talk: 2016-17 All Star Game/Weekend Extravapalooza Etc.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This again?

Hopefully no Backstrom in too. Actually prefer if they had nobody attending.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It should be Atkinson IMO. Pretty much the same number of points as Backstrom and I don't really think it matters if he's a winger vs. being a center to replace Malkin, especially in 3v3. Atkinson is riding a career year and might not get another shot, while Backstrom has already made an all-star game even if it took way too long. Also Backstrom is not exactly known for his footspeed and open-ice abilities and wouldn't be particularly entertaining at 3v3 IMO.

animositynow

Mar 4, 2012
whats wrong with caps players going to the all star game about? everyone so negative

i would love for backstrom to go. he deserves it

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
whats wrong with caps players going to the all star game about? everyone so negative

i would love for backstrom to go. he deserves it

It's a meaningless event that gets more boring year after year.

Rather let the guys take the rest instead. They've had a pretty brutal schedule recently.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I hate that this game has been reduced to a nothing event. As a kid, I LOVED the ASG!

Now it's just a sad event that's barely hockey.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I hate that this game has been reduced to a nothing event. As a kid, I LOVED the ASG!

Now it's just a sad event that's barely hockey.

I think everyone enjoys the ASG as a kid, and then the interest for the event fades with age.

They still split one million to the winning team, correct?

Yes, John Scott went home with just under $100K for winning the ASG last year.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think everyone enjoys the ASG as a kid, and then the interest for the event fades with age.

Pretty much this. And it's more or less true for all sports. The only one I still have even a moderate interest in is the Baseball game (because it's the only one that's even a mildly close approximation of the real sport).

The skills contests are always fun, though.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Players have stopped caring, putting out an embarrassing effort, and now they've destroyed the format.

My dislike has little to do with being an adult. The product has been ruined.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Players have stopped caring, putting out an embarrassing effort, and now they've destroyed the format.

My dislike has little to do with being an adult. The product has been ruined.

I think you may be misremembering what old ASGs were like. Players have never taken it seriously and it has never been competitive. Players just float around the ice and everyone tries not to get hurt. It has never been a high effort event.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Last year's ASG was the best in recent memory. I doubt this one will be as fun but I'm still going to watch.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
My main question is whether either ovie or Crysby will skip again and take the 1-game suspension. I hope 87 does, but not 8.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The NHL All-Star game was the only All-Star game worth watching. You can still have enjoyable hockey even with guys just having fun. But they went and ruined it with a 3v3 tournament, fan voting in AHL players, NAmerica vs Europe, etc.... All they have to do is promote the talent on the ice and it will be fine. I watched the game every year, but I've passed the last couple years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think you may be misremembering what old ASGs were like. Players have never taken it seriously and it has never been competitive. Players just float around the ice and everyone tries not to get hurt. It has never been a high effort event.

It was BETTER, by far IMO. Guys cared SOME at least....they wanted that car...back then that was significant! Now...meh....most would probably have the vacation after doing it for a year or two.

animositynow

Mar 4, 2012
None of them want to go... Backstrom especially, he hasn't be silent about it, but people still whine.

how do you know he doesn't want to go? did he tell you personally or state those thoughts elsewhere?

people saying they want the rest..its not like its a gruelling game where they wont get any rest. its like a mini vacation that they get to hangout with others of the games best. I don't see why people make a big deal of them not wanting to go. plus the caps have that mandatory 5 day break coming soon too?

these guys are professional athletes..the rest argument is dumb. yeah maybe people who always have to go want to skip it, but someone like backstrom who has only been once i fail to see that big of an issue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad