Speculation: 2016-17 ★ Trade Proposals and Speculation ★

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I guess the real question was, does Goligoski have negative trade value now? And if so, how undesirable is it to Arizona?

I feel pretty confident in saying that at least 90% of the league did not want to pay Goligoski $5.475. I mean his agent probably thought that too. Doubt he would've signed with Arizona if he thought there was a choice of many more destinations at such a high price point.

Likely, Arizona was the only team comfortable paying Goligoski that much.

So now, has the status quo changed?
-1 less prime year, one year closer to the less than desirable reality of paying a 35 year old Goligoski.
-Underlying numbers (Chayka seems to like those) toke a bit of a dip.
-Not popular amongst Arizona fans, (but we all probably assumed that would be the case).

On the other hand...
-The free agent D market is even worse
-Cap increased a bit this year.
-Some decent defenders are going to Vegas without adequate replacements.

-----

Edit: I guess, it's a question I don't really know the answer to.

Last edited:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Personally speaking, if I was Arizona, I wouldn't want Goligoski on my team at $5.475 (again, that's just me)

Such little spending money as is, wouldn't want to spend it on a likely soon to be declining defenseman. Not when you have younger replacements.

I guess you could say the same thing about Dallas, but we're in a different position on the win curve (and our defensemen are worse). I think the value of a win now means more to us then it does to Arizona. And hence the sacrifice of cap space in the future.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Every dollar counts, but they do have like 28m in cap space with only 6 forwards to sign. They were all in on Goligoski before, unless they're desperate to open up a spot I don't know why they'd move him after expansion.

I'm all about Goligoski, everyone knows this, but after expansion we can trade with Vegas or sign a free agent for nothing. If you are worried about Goligoski's age and contract both of those seem like better options to me.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Every dollar counts, but they do have like 28m in cap space with only 6 forwards to sign. They were all in on Goligoski before, unless they're desperate to open up a spot I don't know why they'd move him after expansion.

I'm all about Goligoski, everyone knows this, but after expansion we can trade with Vegas or sign a free agent for nothing. If you are worried about Goligoski's age and contract both of those seem like better options to me.

They owe him $22 million over the next 4 years. If they think he'd only be worth $19 or $20 million over that time period, they should trade him. Pretty simple, that's inherently obvious.

Goligoski has less value to the Yotes right now then he did on the day he signed. In my mind, that's a fact. He's a year older, and they have less of a need for a 2LD.

*****​

I'll take Domingue and Nemeth out of my offer. It wasn't meant to add value to the Stars, it was just mediocrity for mediocrity.

So, Goligoski for Lehtonen at 50% retention is what it boils down to. Arizona makes the trade, buys out Kari at a cost of $1.667 million in real money.

End result is Arizona trades Goligoski for $20.333 million in spending money. Chayka is a smart guy, he can put that money to better use than Goligoski. He shouldn't have the same level of desperation for a minute muncher as he did last year, or as the Stars do now.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
In their infinite wisdom, NHL GMs have set the market value for third line players at nearly 4 million bucks. Don’t buy into that market value, it’s too much money to allocate towards depth. Save the money to buy a defenseman.

$5.5 million on a Sekera type = good use of money
Nearly $4 million on a third third line = go back and take a Business 101 level course.

I like Roussel as much as the next guy, but further buying into the depth forward market is like watching a guy who can’t afford food decide to spend money on Fiji water. Yes, proper hydration is important, but ****ing prioritize.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Despite that, extending Roussel this summer is probably optimal.

How I think Dallas should handle Antoine Roussel...

1) Protect Roussel in the expansion draft.
2) Extend Roussel in July 2017
3) Trade Roussel in June 2018

Gamble on the re-sign, hope he doesn’t have a crap year. Squeeze another year out of his $2 million dollar contract, trade him for value before he gets expensive. Use the money on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad