Speculation: 2016-17 ★ Trade Proposals and Speculation ★

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Nail Yakupov’s dad told @Sports_BO that the Blackhawks, Ducks and Stars were the frontrunners to land Nail until the Blues stepped up just before the trade happened.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Nail Yakupov’s dad told @Sports_BO that the Blackhawks, Ducks and Stars were the frontrunners to land Nail until the Blues stepped up just before the trade happened.

Stepped up with a 3rd ( possible 2nd ) and an ECHL player. We must of offered a 7th and Oleksiak :sarcasm:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yep. I don't know how they maneuvered into such a good position but kudos to Yzerman and co.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Wondering how much Nill likes M.A. Fleury, or how much he needs to like him to trade for him. Does he need to be in love with him? Or just see him as better than what we have?

I'd way rather see is land Bishop, but Fleury seems like a more logical "Nill" kind of option. I think the Penguins would be more opt to deal him than the Lightning would Bishop, and Fleury is still under contract so little more assurance and security as far as that stuff goes.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Wondering how much Nill likes M.A. Fleury, or how much he needs to like him to trade for him. Does he need to be in love with him? Or just see him as better than what we have?

I would imagine that if MA's length of contract is right, we just need a goalie who is more consistent than the ones we've got. I really think our hands are tied with respect to goaltending this season unless we get lucky and the stars align with respect to our defense, granting us the cap wiggle room in not have to rent an expensive veteran D at the deadline. No one in their right mind would trade for either Lehtonen or Niemi's contract.

It would really be nice if we had a top-tier goalie prospect right about now.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I could see Pittsburg taking back one of the goalies. They have a year shorter than MAF. Not sure what else it would take. If Val had not left I might have decided they proposals on here on him and niemi might be worth it.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I could see a scenario where Pittsburgh is comfortable heading into the playoffs with Murray starting and Niemi or Lehtonen backing up. More than I could see Tampa willing to roll the same way, with Bishop gone and Vasilevskiy starting. That could change though, which is something we'll have to watch.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Why would the Pens trade Fleury? There is no reason for them to do so unless he demands a trade or they fall out of contention, both are highly unlikely. Besides, I don't think we have anything that they would want that we would be willing to give up.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Why would the Pens trade Fleury? There is no reason for them to do so unless he demands a trade or they fall out of contention, both are highly unlikely. Besides, I don't think we have anything that they would want that we would be willing to give up.

He's got an NMC, which means he has to be protected in the expansion draft(unless he waives it which IMO is unlikely), and Murray is a lot younger(9yrs) and already proven he's a capable #1.
Makes sense to move Fluery, keep Murray(protect him) and get something for Fleury instead of either losing him for nothing in Expansion(assuming he waives) or Losing Murray for nothing.
22yr #1 goalies don't come along often

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
He's got an NMC, which means he has to be protected in the expansion draft(unless he waives it which IMO is unlikely), and Murray is a lot younger(9yrs) and already proven he's a capable #1.
Makes sense to move Fluery, keep Murray(protect him) and get something for Fleury instead of either losing him for nothing in Expansion(assuming he waives) or Losing Murray for nothing.

No pressure to trade either one before the season is finished, though. Would probably reduce the price they would return knowing that one has to be moved, but it's not like goalies bring in a huge return to begin with + limited trading options.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015

I just don't see a good fit here. They wouldn't want someone they would have to protect since it would defeat the purpose of trading Fleury. Like what WhoahNow said, I don't see the urgency from Pittsburgh to trade him. If they have to trade him before the expansion draft then they would probably wait till after this year to do it rather than just giving up a valuable contributor to a cup contending team, unless of course someone offers them a deal too great to pass up.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I just don't see a good fit here. They wouldn't want someone they would have to protect since it would defeat the purpose of trading Fleury. Like what WhoahNow said, I don't see the urgency from Pittsburgh to trade him. If they have to trade him before the expansion draft then they would probably wait till after this year to do it rather than just giving up a valuable contributor to a cup contending team, unless of course someone offers them a deal too great to pass up.

True but lets say they do a Neimi-Fluery base swap.
With obvious prospect rights and/or draft picks going to Pitts. They are getting tangible assets (Rights to Prospects, or a player they wouldn't have to protect potentially or even picks) getting a backup goalie they can expose and be no worse for wear.

I'd agree I don't know why they'd trade him mid-season and not wait until the end, but it is possible. If they wait until the end of the year they'll likely get little more than a 5th-7th round pick, simple because they would be stuck with the prospect of giving him away for nothing, or losing Murray. Then they'd have to hope he'd waive to whatever team it is.
If you do it mid-season to a contender, which Dallas should be, he is likely to waive, if you wait until the end of the year he may say "**** you" I'm not going to waive

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Someone showed me a link, which i can't find, that showed the Stars had made Oleksiak available for trade.

Has anyone seen this? Does it have any legs?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Someone showed me a link, which i can't find, that showed the Stars had made Oleksiak available for trade.

Has anyone seen this? Does it have any legs?

Even if it does , how much value does a player picked in a draft 5 years ago that hasn't put together any decent stretch of play have ? Close to absolutely nothing . 6-7 or not .

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Even if it does , how much value does a player picked in a draft 5 years ago that hasn't put together any decent stretch of play have ? Close to absolutely nothing . 6-7 or not .

Addition by subtraction...

I don't care what comes back. I'd be fine with waiving him and someone taking him off our hands for free if no one wanted to drop a pick on him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The worst thing that could happen is what happened last year . Nothing , especially if Lindell is kept up the whole year just to sit in the pressbox next to Oleksiak ...

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Dallas might be lucky to nab a conditional 7th in return for Jamie Oleksiak. The condition being if Penny wins another gold at the olympics.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
True but lets say they do a Neimi-Fluery base swap.
With obvious prospect rights and/or draft picks going to Pitts. They are getting tangible assets (Rights to Prospects, or a player they wouldn't have to protect potentially or even picks) getting a backup goalie they can expose and be no worse for wear.

I'd agree I don't know why they'd trade him mid-season and not wait until the end, but it is possible. If they wait until the end of the year they'll likely get little more than a 5th-7th round pick, simple because they would be stuck with the prospect of giving him away for nothing, or losing Murray. Then they'd have to hope he'd waive to whatever team it is.
If you do it mid-season to a contender, which Dallas should be, he is likely to waive, if you wait until the end of the year he may say "**** you" I'm not going to waive

As a Penguins fan something like this makes sense to me. GMJR won't want to lose Fleury without getting a quality backup and Niemi fits the bill there.

I'll leave it to the amateur GMs to haggle over who sends what pick or takes back salary, but the framework certainly seems like a fit.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So in the way-too-early-to-be-available department...

I wonder what some combination of Ritchie, Nichushkin's rights, and Eakin could snag us on defense. Ritchie doesn't seem to be a good fit here, Nichushkin and Ruff don't mix well (or at all, seemingly), and Eakin's job is quickly being usurped by Shore and Faksa (and likely Dickinson soon).

I think its pretty clear that left-side defense is, organizationally, our weakest point all across the board. Everywhere else looks ready to compete now or within the next couple of years, except for LHD. Long-term we've got what, Lindell and Nemeth? Neither look like quality options right now. I definitely believe its a position that we need to look into strengthening sooner rather than later, meaning it'll have to be from outside.

Ideally we'd get a top four LHD who can skate well and move the puck. I'm struggling to even come up with players that fit that mold at all, much less those that would be available. Long-term assets fitting that mold just don't get moved often.

Maybe Calgary gets desperate for forward depth and ships out Gio or Brodie (our package wouldn't come close to good value, though). Maybe Edler gets moved as Vancouver's young defenders mature. Paul Martin could be a cap casualty in San Jose. Maybe Orlov out-prices himself in Washington next offseason. I don't know, the market could change drastically over the course of the next year, as could our own issues.

FA looks pretty weak, not a ton of great options there.

I'm interested to see how Nill proceeds, because really all we've heard is that he's happy with the defense how it is (probably just media filler, to be fair).

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Wonder if Anaheim would trade Lindholm for Klingberg. I'd cry but I think I'd do it, need an all around lefty more than a pure offensive righty. Contract would be a bit less favorable, maybe that would be enough for Anaheim to even add a bit.

Something like Lindholm + Manson for Klingberg + Lindell. Little bit of pie in the sky, but man, roster construction on the back end would be real nice long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad