WJC: 2016 — Russia Roster Talk

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Great game yesterday, your guys battled very hard all the way to the end.

Dergachyov was so good last year, I was definitely expecting more from him this time around. I guess SKA isn't the best place for U20 players to develop? He's only been averaging 5 minutes a game...

I agree. He is still a beast down low, but it seemed to me a lot of what he did was just pointless (the same could be said of Korshkov at times). He would control the puck behind the net with his back to the goal, but he would just go from side to side, never seeming to turn around and either drive to the net himself, or pass off to someone else. That was very disappointing. Bragin or someone should have told him to either go to the net or move the puck to someone else.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yup. Three-two decades back, you guys had the best skaters in the world. Not sure what happened there.

Feds, Bure, Mogilny, etc.

In Tikhonov practices, the main thing he demanded was to do everything at hyper speed, based on scientific muscle memory studies. The muscles are only capable of doing what they have been trained to do recently (for example, long distance running to train for a marathon). So practices were conducted at the top speed the guys could produce for hours at a time. Then when they got into a game, even against NHL opposition, they could execute plays effortlessly at double the speed of the other teams.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
In Tikhonov practices, the main thing he demanded was to do everything at hyper speed, based on scientific muscle memory studies. The muscles are only capable of doing what they have been trained to do recently (for example, long distance running to train for a marathon). So practices were conducted at the top speed the guys could produce for hours at a time. Then when they got into a game, even against NHL opposition, they could execute plays effortlessly at double the speed of the other teams.

While not necessarily relating to this WJC team, I feel the Russians are going the wrong way when it comes to KHL and decreasing the ratio of training sessions per game by constantly adding games to the regular season. I mean in Finland already coaches have said there's not as much time to train during the season because we've had 60 game regualr seasons for a few years and it has affected team performances. The Finnish coaches in the KHL (past and present) have said that basically all the traiing is now done in the off season because there's hardly any time to train during the season because of the travelling. The higher amount of training sessions per game has in the past been one of the main reasons why certain aspects of player development have/could have been done better here than in NA and we're losing that advantage with bloated regular season calendars.

Last edited:

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
While not necessarily relating to this WJC team, I feel the Russians are going the wrong way when it comes to KHL and decreasing the ratio of training sessions per game by constantly adding games to the regualr season. I mean in Finland already coaches have said there's not as much tiem to train during the season because we've had 60 game regualr seasons for a few years and it has affected team performances. The Finnish coaches in the KHL (past and present) have said that basically all the traiing is now done in the off season because there's hardly any time to train during the season because of the travelling. The higher amount of training sessions per game has in the past been one of the main reasons why certain aspects of player development have/could have been done better here than in NA and we're losing that advantage with bloated regular season calendars.

This time I do agree with you. But let's not grow a habit :D

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
This is the next generation. And I like it.

Dergach's attitude is 100% right on - can't accept anything but Gold. I believe in these guys, I think they can get gold next year, maybe not in the same lineup, but Bragin can get any group to be extremely tough. But they need to improve their skating speeds!!!

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
While not necessarily relating to this WJC team, I feel the Russians are going the wrong way when it comes to KHL and decreasing the ratio of training sessions per game by constantly adding games to the regular season. I mean in Finland already coaches have said there's not as much time to train during the season because we've had 60 game regualr seasons for a few years and it has affected team performances. The Finnish coaches in the KHL (past and present) have said that basically all the traiing is now done in the off season because there's hardly any time to train during the season because of the travelling. The higher amount of training sessions per game has in the past been one of the main reasons why certain aspects of player development have/could have been done better here than in NA and we're losing that advantage with bloated regular season calendars.

That's a very good point. Does the KHL actually have more games per season than the NHL? I mean, the Russians need to start training their skating, they were being outskated by the Finns in the final and that was one of the reasons for the loss imo. We need Bure to come out there and k*ck their *sses!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
KHL has 60 matches like Finland. So I dont know what is a point here. SHL has 55 matches, not a big deal.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
Russians need to start training their skating, they were being outskated by the Finns in the final and that was one of the reasons for the loss

The problem was not in skating but in stamina. Fins have no problem to skate 3-4 times up and down the whole ice at full speed, but the Russians had 2 times and they were done.
Look at Semin for example he looks like he smokes 1 box of cigarettes per day.
And that's called professional sportsman.

Pathetic.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's a very good point. Does the KHL actually have more games per season than the NHL? I mean, the Russians need to start training their skating, they were being outskated by the Finns in the final and that was one of the reasons for the loss imo. We need Bure to come out there and k*ck their *sses!

The regular season last currently 60 games but Roman Rotenberg has talked about going to 66-70 games. :shakehead With teams potentially dropping out and a Chinese team added, not sure what sense would there be then.

Finnish fans have shown with their feet that 60 games doesn't draw in more fans (average attendance drops). Around 55 should be the max, ideally closer to 50.

Last edited:

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
The regular season last currently 60 games but Roman Rotenberg has talked about going to 66-70 games. :shakehead With teams potentially dropping out and a Chinese team added, not sure what sense would there be then.

Its good for those teams who did not made it to playoffs so the players will not take money for nothing and also for attendance.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
The problem was not in skating but in stamina. Fins have no problem to skate 3-4 times up and down the whole ice at full speed, but the Russians had 2 times and they were done.

Pathetic.

That's where FEL competitiveness plays a role, there's no free pass for anyone. Every single player works their ass off everyday in every practices and games. Stamina, endurance, mentality, Finnish player is the 2-way player. Ultimately that's also reason it's a low score league, not because players have less talent (while they do).

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Pathetic.

Young Finns have always been known for great stamina and work ethics. Glad that hasn't gone out. But durability and skating techniques used to be Russian strength too. Not sure what has happened in that regard.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I don't disagree with your analysis, but despite assertions to the contrary, the KHL is still mainly a business venture that has no real connection to national team training goals. If anything, the only thing the KHL format offers to national teams of its players is a structured setting in which guys can play a high level of hockey all year long. I would be surprised if the ultimate goal is not to get where the NHL is now with 80-90 game regular seasons per year. For every game, more revenue is generated.

The NHL has the same problem - zero training/practice time. Instead of being highly orchestrated like the Soviet national teams were, they are just trying to execute general strategies and hope for the best. Theoretically, each game generates revenues that feed the coffers. The RHF has taken note of the success of countries like the US that have a national development team approach, and has, for instance, created an U18 national team to compete in the MHL.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Pathetic.

How can you document differences in stamina between Russians and Finns? Is it racial or ethnic? Are you saying that the CHL, MHL and KHL don't bother to get in shape, but other leagues do?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't disagree with your analysis, but despite assertions to the contrary, the KHL is still mainly a business venture that has no real connection to national team training goals. If anything, the only thing the KHL format offers to national teams of its players is a structured setting in which guys can play a high level of hockey all year long. I would be surprised if the ultimate goal is not to get where the NHL is now with 80-90 game regular seasons per year. For every game, more revenue is generated.

The NHL has the same problem - zero training/practice time. Instead of being highly orchestrated like the Soviet national teams were, they are just trying to execute general strategies and hope for the best. Theoretically, each game generates revenues that feed the coffers. The RHF has taken note of the success of countries like the US that have a national development team approach, and has, for instance, created an U18 national team to compete in the MHL.

Since no team makes profit at the moment and increasing the number of games only means players want to get paid more, the math doesn't add up. :laugh:

As for the bolded part, I don't know why you would start comparing NHL club teams and the old Soviet teams? Also "general strategies" kind of shows again that you don't watch much NHL. You really should try to Blackhawks games for example and read what Panarin has said about their playing style.

Last edited:

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Such an excellent and strong Team: such disciplined and balanced defence and skilled and quick, effective attacks. No primadonnas and no disorganized team play. Why the Russians won't play like this every time is beyond me, but other nations are quite lucky in that they don't.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
Such an excellent and strong Team: such disciplined and balanced defence and skilled and quick, effective attacks. Why Russians won't play like this organized every time is beyond me, but other nations are quite lucky in that they don't.

You mean at senior level ?
That's because their coaches are simply too soft to their "superstars".
Names don`t make results.

Kovalchoke and Radulov are simply big children who should be never again on NT roster.

Ovechkin, Malkin simply don`t know how to cooperate with others because they are adapted that the play is focused on them and every pass must go on them.

Other names like Tikhonov, Zaripov, Shipachev, Dadonov and equal are typical B players, mediocre and they will never achieve anything big.
They are good only at IIHF when all teams send average or better players who underachieve a lot.

But if they send better like Canada yesteryear they are simply unable to compete.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I agree. He is still a beast down low, but it seemed to me a lot of what he did was just pointless (the same could be said of Korshkov at times). He would control the puck behind the net with his back to the goal, but he would just go from side to side, never seeming to turn around and either drive to the net himself, or pass off to someone else. That was very disappointing. Bragin or someone should have told him to either go to the net or move the puck to someone else.

I had the same thoughts, he was great distracting the defense but was slightly lacking that tricky pass that would fool everyone and get to players who are wide open and ready to bury the puck.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

So why won't they train the players like that nowadays? I mean, we can't afford being outskated, which we were against the Finns, even the US I think.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

Pathetic.

??? Why are you basing your conclusions about all Russian players only on Semin? :laugh: Troll detected.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Such an excellent and strong Team: such disciplined and balanced defence and skilled and quick, effective attacks. No primadonnas and no disorganized team play. Why the Russians won't play like this every time is beyond me, but other nations are quite lucky in that they don't.

You're right, this was as very unusual team Russia - usually what we have are the 'primadonnas' - nowadays it's Kovalchuk, Radulov - people who think the goals should just 'flow from their pen', just because it's them. Granted, they are great players, but somehow I think they are a negative influence for younger Russian players.

This young team didn't have the Bures, Ovechkins, Malkins or Tarasenkos, but played really well as a unit - and this is exactly what our main team oftentimes does not do - you usually have the individualists trying to go 'Rambo' without passing to their partners or playing a 2 way game.

I think we lacked a bit in the 'star' category this year, but as a unit, this team might've been the most 'well-oiled' of all the teams.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
You mean at senior level ?
That's because their coaches are simply too soft to their "superstars".
Names don`t make results.

Kovalchoke and Radulov are simply big children who should be never again on NT roster.

Ovechkin, Malkin simply don`t know how to cooperate with others because they are adapted that the play is focused on them and every pass must go on them.

Other names like Tikhonov, Zaripov, Shipachev, Dadonov and equal are typical B players, mediocre and they will never achieve anything big.
They are good only at IIHF when all teams send average or better players who underachieve a lot.

But if they send better like Canada yesteryear they are simply unable to compete.

Man, you're just sitting around here bashing Russian players, where is team Slovakia? I mean, your trolling is getting pretty obvious.

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
So why won't they train the players like that nowadays? I mean, we can't afford being outskated, which we were against the Finns, even the US I think.

Because the players are not going to live 280 days in barracks. I think, that was a big part of their development in soviet system too. Bigger, in fact.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Because the players are not going to live 280 days in barracks. I think, that was a big part of their development in soviet system too. Bigger, in fact.

But how come the Finns and Americans come out skating faster (on average) than the Russian team? That points to the fact that this element is not being trained well enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad